Walter Smith - Non-Executive Chairman Confirmed by LSE

"Green was quick to invite Smith and his backers on board, offering to take the 64-year-old on as chairman of the football club."

Did not realise that this was a created Role, from the outside looking in there seems to be a bit of Boardroom snobbery being used here.

If I am not being stupid here, how would a Chairman of a longstanding Pie Company fare if he stepped into the position of Chairman of The board of Rangers, do you think the fact he does not have a lifetime of working in the Football industry would hold him back.

Going back years, we have had house builders as Chairman and Taxi Company owner as Chairman and a Joiner to trade as Chairman...........no football background there.

Hell, was the red baize football field still there, swear I've still got bits of that in my knees.

they turned it into a hockey pitch. there was a big grass rugby pitch next to the school of sport. always remember the bridge after school around bonfire night trying to dodge the fireworks.

What's the fuss about?

Mathers as the CEO runs the club.

Stockbridge will deal with contracts, day to day financial dealings.

Smith has been put in place by the institutional investors to stabilise the board.

Do people just try to find the negative in everything?

Yes they do, most supporters will be chuffed with this.

It's a good appointment.

Slightly surprised Ian Hart wasn't offered it, or maybe he was but didn't take it.

But the role of a chairman nowadays in a football club isn't all that taxing on your business knowledge. Look at Bayern Munich, they have two boards and both chairmen are ex-footballers.

Good to see Walter taking on increased responsibility. It's partly his job now to deliver us out the other side of this boardroom turmoil.

Going back years, we have had house builders as Chairman and Taxi Company owner as Chairman and a Joiner to trade as Chairman...........no football background there.

TBH my point should have been, I will wait and see how he does before I make any judgement.

It's a good appointment.

Slightly surprised Ian Hart wasn't offered it, or maybe he was but didn't take it.

But the role of a chairman nowadays in a football club isn't all that taxing on your business knowledge. Look at Bayern Munich, they have two boards and both chairmen are ex-footballers.

Good to see Walter taking on increased responsibility. It's partly his job now to deliver us out the other side of this boardroom turmoil.

Wonder how different it is controlling a dressing room with Gazza and McCoist in it to controlling a Boardroom with Hart and Stockbridge in it...

Think they'll nail Walters shoes to the floor.

What's the fuss about?

Mathers as the CEO runs the club.

Stockbridge will deal with contracts, day to day financial dealings.

Smith has been put in place by the institutional investors to stabilise the board.

Do people just try to find the negative in everything?

How do you know this BIG AL?

How do you know this BIG AL?

I don't TBH just seems logical to me.

I was under the impression it was the institutional investors who were pushing for the removal of Murray, given they requested the EGM. Stands to reason for their investment they are looking for stability in the board room and IMO they would see Smith as fitting that bill. It will also appease the majority of the fans conveniently in time for ST renewal.

Lets face it he will have nothing to with the day to day running of the club.

How many times did any of us hear from John McClelland in his time as chairman?

I don't TBH just seems logical to me.

I was under the impression it was the institutional investors who were pushing for the removal of Murray, given they requested the EGM. Stands to reason for their investment they are looking for stability in the board room and IMO they would see Smith as fitting that bill. It will also appease the majority of the fans conveniently in time for ST renewal.

Lets face it he will have nothing to with the day to day running of the club.

How many times did any of us hear from John McClelland in his time as chairman?

Re institutional investors, I would have thought he was brought on board to attract these investors due to his background in business.

Why all the talk about Walter lacking business experience? What about the business he owns that has t/o of 3mil and a paper value of 1.9mil? If such a business was yours, would you consider yourself knowledgable about business? Damn sure I would!

Really fuck me, are you comparing this to people who sit on Football Club boards or what...............how does Watty know everything about running a football club, did he negotiate contracts.....was he involved in running costs, do you then blame Waty for the history of players being signed that had a poor record re injuries, could Watty tell you the profit margin on the price of a pie when he was Manager.............I'm at a loss how you can come to the 100% backing of that post?

Nobody is saying he knows it all

A lot of people say he has no business knowledge

You think because he didn't personally take charge of running the club or clearing contracts that he has no knowledge in the field

I think Walter has a pretty decent idea of how a club should or shouldn't operate