Walter Smith - Non-Executive Chairman Confirmed by LSE

Cometh the hour cometh the Man......again and again and again! Well done Walter........Great News as a figurehead it's spot on, as a answer to the conspirators outside the club they can't question his fit and proper criteria.

To all the Rangers men haters on here who have wanted him rid of or calling him inept in a business capacity....think again!

Can you expand on the think again, as obviously you seem to know something about Watty and his stunning business background?

Non-plussed about this but I'd fancy it's only an interim position anyway as club is effectively sold during the season ticket renewal period.

I'd be very surprised if this was an interim role. One thing that is possible is that it is not an appointment made in isolation, so there are possibly a few other things going to happen over time. I personally have my reservations about this, but time will tell if has been a good thing or not.

The problem is that he represents everything that is bad about RFC

Lover of minty Check

Dignified silence. Check

Refusal to defend the club Check

Refusal to defend the fans. Check

Wine and dine with those who seek our destruction. Check

He has already stuck his nose into the managers roll when he had no right to do so.

In short he is the last person we should be wanting to be involved in any club business other than giving him a free couple of seats for past contributions.

He would be a figurehead - that's it.

And for that, he'll do for me.

Leave the business end of the club to the businessmen.

If this is true, it is indeed surprising, but not necessarily a bad move.

We do not know what is actually happening in the Boardroom. We have been fed rumours and certain facts that have turned out to be true, but sadly these have tended to be leaked. Perfect tactics for creating divisions.

I have not heard Walter Smith condemning Charles Green. Clearly there were concerns regarding allegations made against Charles Green that the Directors had a Duty of Care to organise an investigation. This occurred. The results of which have as yet been formally revealed. Clearly their is potential within those allegations to do the Club great damage both in terms of its reputation but possibly of more consequence in the short term to compromise the recent share offering. The Directors are in a no win situation- dammed if they do and condemned if they do not and it turns out there were procedural and legal wrong doings during that period.

So what is required from the Chairman?

A Chairman is merely the figure head for the Board of Directors. True they generally have the casting vote, but in most situations the principe of first amongst equals applies.

Therefore the main priority of the Chairman is to Manage and Lead the Directors of the Board. They do not need to be proficient in every department, but they do need to ensure they have Directors with the appropriate skills in place to achieve the goals of the board. I think it could be argued that Walter Smith has had many years experience in managing a team of individuals with differing roles, and in achieving the goals that that team has been asked to achieve.

However I must admit I would be very surprised if Walter Smith had agreed to take on such a role. I am not sure it is a position he would have been desperate to take. If he has done so, my thoughts are it is because he has concerns as to the direction or perhaps lack of direction in the boardroom as things stand.

The assumption that Walter Smith would not terminate the employment of anyone failing to perform also lacks credibility. There is no hard evidence to back this up. I am sure though that if Walter Smith was to be Chairman of the Board all employees would be expected to conduct themselves professionally and be reminded of the responsibilities to maintaining the reputation and associated high standards of performance expected at Rangers Football Club. Equally any employee struggling would be given a fair chance to get their act together.

Their is it would appear a power vacuum within Ibrox. This void need to be filled urgently by a candidate that investors, directors and supporters can unify around. I cannot think of a better candidate to fulfil this role as things stand.

The "business end" doesn't amount to a great deal actually. This is a football club, and the Chairman carries clout.

Fine - name one person who would represent Rangers as a brand and would be better known as such anywhere in the world.

Walter is linked to Rangers the same way as SAF is to Man Utd. We all knew he would eventually "move upstairs", only decision was which office.

So if he is the Chairman, figurehead, representing the club - excellent. Get Mather etc running the club, working with Ally etc on players, scouting network establishment, club turnaround.

And the problem has been, BTW that there has NOT been enough business savvy on the board, separating the figurehead from the businessmen - this would do that.

Fine - name one person who would represent Rangers as a brand and would be better known as such anywhere in the world.

Walter is linked to Rangers the same way as SAF is to Man Utd. We all knew he would eventually "move upstairs", only decision was which office.

So if he is the Chairman, figurehead, representing the club - excellent. Get Mather etc running the club, working with Ally etc on players, scouting network establishment, club turnaround.

And the problem has been, BTW that there has NOT been enough business savvy on the board, separating the figurehead from the businessmen - this would do that.

I'm not going to argue with anything you say here. And some of the things you state would be good in an idea world.

The problem is that he represents everything that is bad about RFC

Lover of minty Check

Dignified silence. Check

Refusal to defend the club Check

Refusal to defend the fans. Check

Wine and dine with those who seek our destruction. Check

He has already stuck his nose into the managers roll when he had no right to do so.

In short he is the last person we should be wanting to be involved in any club business other than giving him a free couple of seats for past contributions.

Let's not forget his last quote on this page too http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18503656

... is this notion that he is not a business man!?

With his length of managerial experience, at both Rangers and Everton , he would have been well involved with the business side of the clubs and also seemed to be no slouch with his own contracts.

He is a proven leader and trusted by the vast majority of Rangers fans ( sadly not all as this forum shows) and would be an excellent figurehead at this time when we need stability.

Rangers are no longer a dictictorial led business but a board led business and no one director will have all the skills we need and therefore who better than Walter at the helm?

I'd be very surprised if this was an interim role. One thing that is possible is that it is not an appointment made in isolation, so there are possibly a few other things going to happen over time. I personally have my reservations about this, but time will tell if has been a good thing or not.

I'm only guessing of course but I'd be surprised if Walter felt himself suitable for this over a longer period.

It may well be that with the recent change in CEO/COO terminology, the club may retain a honourable chairman role but opt for a hands-on President.

I think the more important issue is whether or not an EGM has been averted.

More info please.

I don't think there's much doubt this is more of a symbolic appointment than anything else.

It's just important Walter is supported by the right team on the board and until we know what's happening there, it's difficult to form a proper opinion.

I'm only guessing of course but I'd be surprised if Walter felt himself suitable for this over a longer period.

It may well be that with the recent change in CEO/COO terminology, the club may retain a honourable chairman role but opt for a hands-on President.

I think the more important issue is whether or not an EGM has been averted.

More info please.

I've often wondered if the Waddell role was ever going to be resurrected at Rangers. This might just be the 21st Century version of it. I also wonder if it in any way relates to the Stock Market verdict this morning. If it does then there could be a big move happening to go along with this.

I've often wondered if the Waddell role was ever going to be resurrected at Rangers. This might just be the 21st Century version of it. I also wonder if it in any way relates to the Stock Market verdict this morning. If it does then there could be a big move happening to go along with this.

Possibly. As I said in the other thread, it's difficult to form a real opinion until we know what's happening in terms of an EGM and/or share-holdings.

Agreed

To many get chairman and CEO mixed up

Happy with this if true

Spot on. Walter can do basically fuck all. All he's there for is to chair boardroom meetings.

It's the CEO that's the boss, the person who hires and fires people.

If Ally has to be sacked, it will be the CEO that does it.

... is this notion that he is not a business man!?

With his length of managerial experience, at both Rangers and Everton , he would have been well involved with the business side of the clubs and also seemed to be no slouch with his own contracts.

He is a proven leader and trusted by the vast majority of Rangers fans ( sadly not all as this forum shows) and would be an excellent figurehead at this time when we need stability.

Rangers are no longer a dictictorial led business but a board led business and no one director will have all the skills we need and therefore who better than Walter at the helm?

That comment reminds me of a post on here many years ago.

It was from a moderator called Danny and it was in the midst of discussions about Barry Ferguson's ability.

Danny felt BF MUST be a good player because he always got a good rating on computer related management games.