no long term plan ?

I didn't see the interview with Jim Traynor so maybe this was covered.

this line is from an article in the Herald today

"Managers, especially the Rangers manager, are never in a position to long-term plan," he said

Like many I had the fantasy of playing in the bottom tier with youngsters who would be well gelled by the time we were back to the top but is Ally saying this was never on ?

and didn't Manchester United and Fergie have a long term plan ?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taken out of context.

He explained his reasoning behind that statement.

no I don't think so.....but here's the whole paragraph and people can decide for themselves

"Managers, especially the Rangers manager, are never in a position to long-term plan," he said on the day the club confirmed a pre-season game with Dundee at Dens Park on July 31. "If I take my eye off next week, I'll not be here. The next couple of months is my priority. I want to give the fans the Rangers they were used to for 140 years, a Rangers that is winning the league, qualifying for the Champions League, getting to the Uefa Cup final, always in a Scottish Cup final and League Cup final. It's important that we entertain."

There was still more to the statement than that, watch the full interview and you'll see.

I haven't seen any of the Traynor interview however I've had another look at the Herald article and can't see what else there is to qualify that statement

He quite clearly states his priority is the here and now and rightly so,

he also mentions there IS long term planning being done,however he could have answered the question a bit more clearly as he's given people another stick to beat him with for no real reason.

"Managers, especially the Rangers manager, are never in a position to long-term plan," he said

Like many I had the fantasy of playing in the bottom tier with youngsters who would be well gelled by the time we were back to the top but is Ally saying this was never on ?

Like yourself I started of last season with this fantastic notion of a young team coming together from the leftovers and going on to win everything in their path, it's just now thinking about this I realise it was the plot for a Walt Disney film.

I think you can take thing out of his answer positive or negative depending on how you see it, but there is no reason to debate this with someone who can't spare 26 minutes of their life to watch the interview and would rather go with the Rangers Hateing Herald.

Was along the lines of as soon as a Rangers manager starts focusing on the future instead of the next game, he won't be Rangers manger for much longer.

And he is correct, some of our fans are far too impatient and short sighted but its part and parcel of of being Rangers manager. The pressure is on to win week in, week out and as soon as you start failing, you will get eaten alive.

Like yourself I started of last season with this fantastic notion of a young team coming together from the leftovers and going on to win everything in their path, it's just now thinking about this I realise it was the plot for a Walt Disney film.

I think you can take thing out of his answer positive or negative depending on how you see it, but there is no reason to debate this with someone who can't spare 26 minutes of their life to watch the interview and would rather go with the Rangers Hateing Herald.

the comment was on the Hrelad article.......nothing to do with the Traynor interview

Football and proper long term planning are very difficult for a number of reasons. I would consider anything over a season a long term plan.

Bosman and shorter contracts, greedy footballers and agents, injuries and loss of form, bad results and fan pressure make it all extremely difficult.

That aside there should be footballing philosophy that cascades through the club.

Although I was left a bit unconvinced by ally's response to this, he did explain ii/quantify it to a certain extent! To be fair it would probably be best to watch the interview before starting a post on it! No?

Football and proper long term planning are very difficult for a number of reasons. I would consider anything over a season a long term plan.

Bosman and shorter contracts, greedy footballers and agents, injuries and loss of form, bad results and fan pressure make it all extremely difficult.

That aside there should be footballing philosophy that cascades through the club.

Sensible post

Also worth noting I'm sure he saidof course the long term prospects of the club are important and there is long term plans but the nature of being Rangers manager means the next game has to be the priority.

the comment was on the Hrelad article.......nothing to do with the Traynor interview

Might have misunderstood you there mate. would have expected the Herald to try to misrepresent anything positive about Rangers, it's what they do. Anyway I didn't read the article in the herald and I won't.

I haven't seen any of the Traynor interview however I've had another look at the Herald article and can't see what else there is to qualify that statement

So your just looking at a shitey paper and making your own mind up?

Why not watch the video on the Rangers website. Seems odd to me that you chose to read about in the Scottish media 1st before watching the actual interview.

:angry:

McCoist said everything confidently and upfront if u take the 26mins out ur MCCOIST HATING life.

Away and play championship manager!!

Sick of have a go heroes on here driving wee snide comments about McCoist.

Any bloody manager u put in his position would be doing the bloody same. U can't get back to the top with an under 19 team!!

It is down to the board his spending and signings NOT him.