memories of a gubbing

Craig Brown was on the wireless talking about his 5 most important games. Although it wasn't one of them, he mentioned he'd played for Dundee when they horsed us 5 1 at Ibrox.

I was there but don't remember a lot about the game............cold, foggy winters afternoon.

Looking back I realised Dundee had a fantastic team then and had reached the quarter or semi finals of the European cup.

Pity I was too young to appreciate them but obviously focused on us losing by that margin at home.

Just thought I'd share

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a game against hibs a few years ago, when Ivan sproule came on and scored a hat trick against us. I think it finished three nil.

After the match it was reported that Garry O'Connor(who was substituted for Ivan) came off the pitch and shouted at the hibs manager " what's that prick going to do " , three goals later im sure he felt like an even bigger prick that what he is.

At least sproule was big rangers fan, better than one of them scoring a hattrick at ibrox.

I can remember John brown and Allan Johnston scoring hattricks against us as well. Who needs eminies when r own keep scoring against us lol

Craig Brown was on the wireless talking about his 5 most important games. Although it wasn't one of them, he mentioned he'd played for Dundee when they horsed us 5 1 at Ibrox.

I was there but don't remember a lot about the game............cold, foggy winters afternoon.

Looking back I realised Dundee had a fantastic team then and had reached the quarter or semi finals of the European cup.

Pity I was too young to appreciate them but obviously focused on us losing by that margin at home.

Just thought I'd share

Do you recall a midweek game at Ibrox early/mid 60s , foggy night and might have been a replay, a really good m'well team turned us over as well.

But as you said Dundee had a class team back then. Gilzean,Slater, Ure , Cox, Jimmy Gabriel,Andy Penman.

Have a read on here Johnny and look out for Willie Thornton..........

http://www.dundeefc.co.uk/club.asp?page=HALL-OF-FAME---SHANKLY&pageid=1014

Do you recall a midweek game at Ibrox early/mid 60s , foggy night and might have been a replay, a really good m'well team turned us over as well.

But as you said Dundee had a class team back then. Gilzean,Slater, Ure , Cox, Jimmy Gabriel,Andy Penman.

http://www.dundeefc....KLY&pageid=1014

don't remember the Motherwell one.......but mid week foggy nights..I remember a Tottenham game being postponed because of the fog....they skelped us 3 2 in the replay a week later.....jimmy Greaves got the first one I think.

don't remember the Motherwell one.......but mid week foggy nights..I remember a Tottenham game being postponed because of the fog....they skelped us 3 2 in the replay a week later.....jimmy Greaves got the first one I think.

I was at the Primary school , over the road from the Stadium and recall the Spurs game,they beat us home and away

Remember the the Dundee game well the special train from cambuslang was almost cancelled due to the weather,however it got through and we got a real doing.although they were a great team and went to the European cup semi and lost to Milan I think.the Motherwell game was the biggest crowd I've ever been in at Ibrox .official attendance was 84 thousand but others gaveit as 92thousand to watch us destroyed 5-2

D utd 3-0 at ibrox after 27mins. Probably around 25k left in stadium at end. Bears were singing like hell in the 2nd half and the utd keeper mentioned he had never seen a support like it.

6-2 to them at the piggery. Enough said

3-0 Lyon at ibrox

Juventus 4-0 at ibrox

In fact, quite a few we have been skelped!

D utd 3-0 at ibrox after 27mins. Probably around 25k left in stadium at end. Bears were singing like hell in the 2nd half and the utd keeper mentioned he had never seen a support like it.

6-2 to them at the piggery. Enough said

3-0 Lyon at ibrox

Juventus 4-0 at ibrox

In fact, quite a few we have been skelped!

Jinx

Chesterfield away.

And they were shit.

Totally forgiven when they hammered Celtic a few days later.

was too young but one of the worst results in rangers history.

Doesn't help the bears weren't too amused after either!

was too young but none of the worst results in rangers history.

Doesn't help the bears weren't too amused after either!

Either one of the guys I worked with or one of the older members on here told me a story about a supporters bus going to Chester instead of chesterfield that night :lol:

the dundee game was going against us 3/1 down, throw in on the half way line baxter took it to caldow who was caught out so he passed back to baxter who just belted it in the air in disgust,bad move i think it was andy penman got it and set up goal no 4 . the boos baxter got was unbelievable just before 1/2 time he got the ball and booted into the shed ,bad move he was boo,ed every time he touched it after that.

Just thought I'd share

Not convinced that Brown played in that game. Their regular 11 at that time was Linney, Hamilton, Cox, Seith, Ure, Wishart, Smith, Penman, Cousin, Gilzean and Robertson.

Gilzean stuck four up us that day. IIRC we wore the blue & white vertical striped shirts and blue shorts, red socks.

Not a favourite memory tbh.

Chesterfield away.

And they were shit.

Totally forgiven when they hammered Celtic a few days later.

I remember that game well..For weeks before the game there were joiners advertising in the local paper "The Rangers are coming, we will board up your windows for only, etc."

Before the kick off the Bears were chanting "Mean machine, Mean machine" after a film that had been on that week, That didn't last long. Possibly the most miserable match I have ever seen and over the years I have seen some shite. :) .

Three of us found a Labour club that was open, all the pubs were shut, as we went in the locals looked at us as if we were mass murderers, but it turned into a brilliant night. Although they took the piss something chronic.

Remember the the Dundee game well the special train from cambuslang was almost cancelled due to the weather,however it got through and we got a real doing.although they were a great team and went to the European cup semi and lost to Milan I think.the Motherwell game was the biggest crowd I've ever been in at Ibrox .official attendance was 84 thousand but others gaveit as 92thousand to watch us destroyed 5-2

Spot on Ronnie I lived a 10-15 minute walk from the ground and Ibrox was packed that night, we my mate from the next close and his uncle made it into the mainstand and got the very top row ...........the place was jumping that night.

I take it eh special took you to the old Ibrox Station, waht a god send that was for many fans.

Spot on Ronnie I lived a 10-15 minute walk from the ground and Ibrox was packed that night, we my mate from the next close and his uncle made it into the mainstand and got the very top row ...........the place was jumping that night.

I take it eh special took you to the old Ibrox Station, waht a god send that was for many fans.

The football specials to Ibrox were brilliant packed to the rafters and coming from all over.the crushing outside the turnstiles that night was unbelievable my pal lost his shoes in it and they eventually opened a gate to alleviate the pressure,hence the difference in the two attendance figures I think.

http://www.dundeefc....KLY&pageid=1014

Despite the gubbing, that was a good read.