memories of a gubbing

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the three-nil game against Hibs at Ibrox. I'm sure McLeish was in charge at the time and Hibs ha the likes of O'Connor, Riordan, Thomson, Brown and Whittaker. They walked over us that day.

I was up at St Johnstone about three years ago, we were wearing our white strip and they leathered us four-one. It was so unexpected and I'm sure that boy Sheridan that played for Celtic scored the Goal of the Season that night. McGregor didn't even move.

I'll always remember the boy behind me that night, shouting to the St Johnstone fans; "I've got thrush... MEND MEEEEEE!" :lol: :lol:

I remember another Ibrox drubbing 3-0 to Dundee JH, We were singing for the return of Alfie Conn at the end of the match.

if this was in 1974 it was my first ever game, played on a sunday

I don't particularly remember the Alfie Conn bit, but Ibrox was heavin that day and it was a scorcher, and if I remember correctly Sunday football was practically an unknown back then. For some reason I remember the Dundee keeper that day - Thomson Allen I think, lots of their fans on the pitch prior to the game having their kids photos with him. Weird how the old memory works!

I don't particularly remember the Alfie Conn bit, but Ibrox was heavin that day and it was a scorcher, and if I remember correctly Sunday football was practically an unknown back then. For some reason I remember the Dundee keeper that day - Thomson Allen I think, lots of their fans on the pitch prior to the game having their kids photos with him. Weird how the old memory works!

Think that was a Scottish Cup game.

I remember that game well..For weeks before the game there were joiners advertising in the local paper "The Rangers are coming, we will board up your windows for only, etc."

Before the kick off the Bears were chanting "Mean machine, Mean machine" after a film that had been on that week, That didn't last long. Possibly the most miserable match I have ever seen and over the years I have seen some shite. :) .

Three of us found a Labour club that was open, all the pubs were shut, as we went in the locals looked at us as if we were mass murderers, but it turned into a brilliant night. Although they took the piss something chronic.

The guys from our bus actually met a joiner boarding up an off sales when we were looking for beer.

He shit himself when we turned up but then showed us to another shop that was open.

Funny at the time but as said already not so funny at the game. Fortunately I was far too drunk to remember that much except we were awful.

I think you are right!

Was it not played on a Sunday because of the power rationing in the mid-70's.

Sunday trading wasn't as it is today - if I recall correctly, we weren't allowed to charge admission but were allowed to sell programmes.

So everyone had to buy a programme, which cost the going rate for a ticket!

I remember the three-nil game against Hibs at Ibrox. I'm sure McLeish was in charge at the time and Hibs ha the likes of O'Connor, Riordan, Thomson, Brown and Whittaker. They walked over us that day.

I was up at St Johnstone about three years ago, we were wearing our white strip and they leathered us four-one. It was so unexpected and I'm sure that boy Sheridan that played for Celtic scored the Goal of the Season that night. McGregor didn't even move.

I'll always remember the boy behind me that night, shouting to the St Johnstone fans; "I've got thrush... MEND MEEEEEE!" :lol: :lol:

Bastard, that was gonna be mine :7325: , I think the league was already wrapped up. Still a strange night though, think it was snowing too and our bus took the wrong exit coming home and we went round Perth for what seems like hours !!!

The football specials to Ibrox were brilliant packed to the rafters and coming from all over.the crushing outside the turnstiles that night was unbelievable my pal lost his shoes in it and they eventually opened a gate to alleviate the pressure,hence the difference in the two attendance figures I think.

The football specials, that takes me back, I remember getting them to the away games. Those were the days my friend.

We lost the game (and the league) in a brutal 4-2 defeat to Cletci at their midden - 1979.

To this day it remains the worst match experience I've ever suffered.

That's still sore for a lot of people

Weren't we cruising against ten men and just collapsed?