Jimmy Gordon

tollali

I think it was two or three years ago that I read there were a couple of people who wanted any information anyone had about James Eadie Gordon.

Well, in fact I am his son and might be able to offer some help, albeit he died in 1954 when I was six, so any help I can give will be limited.

For those interested, I lent the one cap and four medals our family have to the Club a couple of years ago, so they can be viewed by anyone who visits the Club for the tour.

Just ask.....and, if I can help, I will.

Ali Gordon

I think it was two or three years ago that I read there were a couple of people who wanted any information anyone had about James Eadie Gordon.

Well, in fact I am his son and might be able to offer some help, albeit he died in 1954 when I was six, so any help I can give will be limited.

For those interested, I lent the one cap and four medals our family have to the Club a couple of years ago, so they can be viewed by anyone who visits the Club for the tour.

Ali Gordon

you should do a bit of research and tell us the games he played in and who his team mates were

Debut - April 20th, 1907, versus Kilmarnock at Ibrox. The Rangers lined up with: Alex Newbigging; James Jackson, Willie Henry; JIMMY GORDON, James Stark, John May; John McDonald, George Livingstone, Jimmy Spiers, Archie Kyle, Alec Smith. Approx. 2,500 people watched the Rangers beat Killie that day, thanks to a brace from Livingstone and final nail in the coffin coming from the famous Jimmy Spiers.

In Jimmy's third game for the club, he played at Second Cathkin Park, which was the venue for the Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup final, as the Rangers beat their friendly rivals, Celtic, 1-0 in front of approx. 38,000. RG Campbell with the winner this time.

For the majority of the 1906/07 season, the 'right-half' (I think) position had been filled by Josiah Gray, but the signing of Gordon seemingly signalled the end of Gray's Rangers career, as he never played for the club again following that after Gordon's debut. It is unknown what became of Gray thereafter.

Wilton was clearly impressed with his new 'right-half' as Jimmy played there consistently until the latter half of 1908/09, when he actually started to move further up the field, as far as the 'centre-forward' position for the final three games of that campaign - which consisted of the 1st round, semi-final and final of the Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup. This was clearly a masterstroke by Wilton, as Gordon scored an incredible 7 goals, including a brace in the final against Celtic at Parkhead, winning his second Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup. Those 7 goals doubled Gordon's tally for the season, taking his record to 14 goals in 31 competitive appearances. This is all the more impressive when you consider that he only scored 2 goals throughout the entirety of the previous season.

It was not until the 1916/17 season that Gordon would receive competition for his 'right-half' slot, when Peter Pursell (signed the previous season from Queen's Park, and 6 years Gordon's junior) moved out from 'centre-half'. Pursell's continued presence in the team restricted Gordon to only 7 competitive appearances that term.

Gordon became something of a utility man in the two season's that followed, but still amassed around 40 appearances across various positions up to the end of 1918/19.

Pursell left the Rangers for Port Vale at the end of the 1918/19 season, and for one last season (1919/20) Gordon would make the 'right-half' slot his own once more for the majority of the season - with 40 competitive appearances and 10 goals as the Rangers won the League again, beating Celtic to the crown by 3 points. However, it was a certain whipper-snapper by the name of Davie Meiklejohn who would fill the 'right-half' slot for the final games of that campaign...

As we all know, the Rangers' first manager, William Wilton, would tragicly die in a boating accident just the day after Rangers were crowned as Champions that season, and trainer Bill Struth began his oh-so-famous managerial career.

Unfortunately for Gordon, Struth's promotion would signal the end of his Rangers career, as he only played one (non-competitive) game for the new manager, which was a benefit match for Bert Manderson, against Celtic, which the Rangers won 2-1, with a brace from Alex Laird, in front of approx. 20,000 at Ibrox on August 30th, 1920.

The aforementioned whipper-snapper was clearly highly thought of by Struth, and just as the young Jimmy Gordon had taken the place of Josiah Gray, the experienced and loyal Jimmy Gordon was moved aside to make way for a future Rangers captain, and Scottish football legend, in the shape of 'Meik'.

A Rangers Hall of Fame entrant, and a true legend.

Rangers career - 1906/07-1920/21

League Apps - 315

League Goals - 64

Major Cup (Scottish and Glasgow) Apps - 48

Major Cup Goals - 4

Minor Cup (Glasgow Merchants Charity and Victory) Apps - 26

Minor Cup Goals - 11

Friendly Apps - 58

Friendly Goals - 13

Honours - Division 1 (1910/11, 1911/12, 1912/13), Southern League (1917/18), Scottish League (1919/20), Glasgow Cup (1910/11, 1911/12, 1912/13, 1913/14, 1917/18, 1918/19), Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup (1906/07, 1908/09, 1910/11, 1918/19)

Manager's - William Wilton, Bill Struth

Apologies to Ali if any of the above is incorrect in anyway.

Ali Gordon

I take it your are the youngest in the famIly? JEG would be 60 years when you were born? Bit on Wikipedia about him;

Jimmy Gordon (footballer born 1888)

James "Jimmy" Eadie Gordon (23 July 1888 – 22 November 1954) was a Scottish footballer who spent most of his career with Rangers. During the First World War he was a Sergeant in the Highland Light Infantry.

Born in Saltcoats, Ayrshire, Gordon played with juvenile sides Thornwood Athletic and Renfrew Victoria before joining Rangers during the 1906-07 season.[1] He stayed with the Ibrox club until 1920, playing 334 games and winning five championships in the process. Versatile enough to play in any position on the pitch, he did just that playing in goals, in defence, in midfield and up front for Rangers. His favoured role was right-half and this was the position he occupied most during his international career with the Scotland national team, which extended to ten caps between 1912 and 1920. Gordon also represented the Scottish League XI 15 times.[2]

Gordon "guested" for Fulham and Hearts during World War I and joined Dunfermline Athletic when he finally left Rangers in 1920.[1] After his playing retirement, he and former Rangers colleague James Galt ran a series of Billiard Halls.[1] He was included in the Rangers F.C. Hall of Fame on 5 February 2007.

Connections like this is what makes our club great. Treasure the memory of your father, Ali and thanks for sharing it. You may or may not be aware that he holds the distinguished honour of scoring the Rangers 2000th league goal against Kilmarnock on 15th September 1919 (courtesy of Rangers The Complete Record). A certain Mr McCoist scored the 7000th against Motherwell on 9th December1989.

Connections like this is what makes our club great. Treasure the memory of your father, Ali and thanks for sharing it. You may or may not be aware that he holds the distinguished honour of scoring the Rangers 2000th league goal against Kilmarnock on 15th September 1919 (courtesy of Rangers The Complete Record). A certain Mr McCoist scored the 7000th against Motherwell on 9th December1989.

Great stat mate! I shoulda included that in what I posted above!

• 7 years later...