A Dinosaur rears his head.

D'Artagnan

I am a bit undecided about this issue as on the one hand I love the Loyalist/Unionist stance of the Rangers support as it gives you something to hang on to, something to be genuinely proud of that Rangers are just that little bit different from most other big clubs. For example, I love the colour and spectacle of an orange walk - it's awe inspiring on the eye and Heavenly on the ear. The militaristic beat of the soul soaring music makes you glad to be alive.

On the other hand, I have a lot of Celtic supporting friends whom I trust and respect and the words and meanings of the some of the songd hit a little too close to home for comfort. In my teenage years I sung the whole songbook but now that I've mellowed and seen a little bit of the world I simply can't feel good about singing some of these songs.

I don't know, I'm probably regarded as a 'handwringer' in here but what I will say is I've been following Rangers for nearly a quarter of a century, a lot of the time despite some reservations about our PUL image, but I'm still here and still proud to be a bear. I'm not sure how I fit into the the OP's idea of how one should act as a Rangers fan but I know that I'll be here regardless.

By the way, I'm a bit drunk and not sure if I'm making any sense but I hope I got my point across properly.

That's the longest post I have ever seen from you TWB and a very insightful one.

I know where you are coming from. I have the utmost respect for my work colleagues (and bosses) and friends some of whom support the green and grey. I won't pretend to like it, as I associate that club with a hell of a lot of things I detest. But that's their call and they don't seem to realise what songs are sung in their name.

I'm a stereotypical NI Loyalist/Unionist BTW and as I said above I think I get what you mean.

But I can't change what's in my make up. I hear our bands playing and I head towards them. I can't and do not want to lose that. It may well be tribal but ultimately that's the my human condition.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how you arrived at any of that. I certainly never said anything of the sort.

yes you did, but it's cool if you don't want to go into it. I can understand how those big bad proddy songs will have such a traumatic effect on people so tender as yourself and your Celtic supporting friends who don't sing songs about terrorists and indiscriminate bombers, I don't suppose they wave tricolours and sing the national anthem of a foreign country either.

They sound like jolly fine chaps,

It's not ironic at all as he goes out of his way to be Intolorent to loyalism - anything said to him is in response to this

There's been two others in this thread that said its not their cup of tea but they respect the part it plays - no ones gave them abuse

Yep - fairness and respect - has to be a two way street! It is t critical that we all agree all the time but it is funny how the "anti brigade" are often so hyper critical!? TW. Hasn't been rounded on - personally I don't agree with much he has said here but he hasn't been unfair, over dogmatic or deliberately confrontational - that is fine!

It's not ironic at all as he goes out of his way to be Intolorent to loyalism - anything said to him is in response to this

There's been two others in this thread that said its not their cup of tea but they respect the part it plays - no ones gave them abuse

I've never seen him being intolerant or abusive towards people though, maybe towards certain aspects of the Rangers support. I don't see how that merits personal abuse.

I didn't read the Orange walk thread though - apart from my post - which is what seems to have irked a lot of people.

yes you did, but it's cool if you don't want to go into it. I can understand how those big bad proddy songs will have such a traumatic effect on people so tender as yourself and your Celtic supporting friends who don't sing songs about terrorists and indiscriminate bombers, I don't suppose they wave tricolours and sing the national anthem of a foreign country either.

They sound like jolly fine chaps,

I haven't said anything about them other than they support Celtic, you seem to have made a few assumptions on your own.

I've never seen him being intolerant or abusive towards people though, maybe towards certain aspects of the Rangers support. I don't see how that merits personal abuse.

I didn't read the Orange walk thread though - apart from my post - which is what seems to have irked a lot of people.

When you slate people's beliefs you get personal.

He's renowned for it, he sees a Loyalist thread and gets soaking wet at the prospect of slating that element of the support.

He's done it for ages on here, ignores moderators posts saying that the stuff stays in the Bears' Den.

If he disagrees he should PM the folk that run the site but he antagonises everyone on the thread then becomes the victim.

I've never seen him being intolerant or abusive towards people though, maybe towards certain aspects of the Rangers support. I don't see how that merits personal

A lot of people take that personally, though - including me

Our enemies and tarriers must get some buzz from guys like Bp9 ripping the pish out of us

I haven't said anything about them other than they support Celtic, you seem to have made a few assumptions on your own.

Oh right ! my apologies.

"Not all Celtic fans sing 'those' songs" You can understand why I thought you were referring to your Celtic Supporting Friends.

Unless, of course, you have knowledge of other Celtic fans who do not sing these songs.

I find from my experience that most Celtic fans deny singing these songs and even more of them deny waving tricolours and sing a foreign national anthem.

I guess in the cold light of day they realise how stupid and repulsive they look. Are your Celtic supporting friends the same ?

Oh right ! my apologies.

"Not all Celtic fans sing 'those' songs" You can understand why I thought you were referring to your Celtic Supporting Friends.

Unless, of course, you have knowledge of other Celtic fans who do not sing these songs.

I find from my experience that most Celtic fans deny singing these songs and even more of them deny waving tricolours and sing a foreign national anthem.

I guess in the cold light of day they realise how stupid and repulsive they look. Are your Celtic supporting friends the same ?

I find it hard to believe that any Celtic fan would deny that some of their fans wave tri-colours and/or sing the ROI national anthem. That's just ridiculous. Unless you're saying that they personally deny waving tri-colours - if that's the case then apologies but the way you worded it made it unclear.

Anyway, no matter. You stated that 'You and your Celtic supporting friends are offended by songs that Rangers fans don't sing and you don't know what the songs are or what the offending words are.'

That's the part that I was referring to when I stated that you were making assumptions.

I find it hard to believe that any Celtic fan would deny that some of their fans wave tri-colours and/or sing the ROI national anthem. That's just ridiculous. Unless you're saying that they personally deny waving tri-colours - if that's the case then apologies but they way you worded it made it unclear.

Anyway, no matter. You stated that 'You and your Celtic supporting friends are offended by songs that Rangers fans don't sing and you don't know what the songs are or what the offending words are.'

That's the part that I was referring to when I stated that you were making assumptions.

You know fine well what he means.

Your Celtic Mates will be closet-plastics, yet you don't want to offend them with songs you haven't identified? What songs do we sing that would offend your mates?

You know fine well what he means.

Your Celtic Mates will be closet-plastics, yet you don't want to offend them with songs you haven't identified? What songs do we sing that would offend your mates?

Well I didn't but thank you for telling me what I know.

As for the last part - some of them are actually Irish so they are pretty far from 'closet-plastics'.. As for the songs, that's my concern and something I really don't want to get into.

Well I didn't but thank you for telling me what I know.

As for the last part - some of them are actually Irish so they are pretty far from 'closet-plastics'.. As for the songs, that's my concern and something I really don't want to get into.

So you're happy to implie on an open forum that your poor wee Celtic buddies could be offended by the current songbook? I say that's shit.

Being Irish they will identify what a fenian is, why would any song offend them?

So you're happy to implie on an open forum that your poor wee Celtic buddies could be offended by the current songbook? I say that's shit.

Being Irish they will identify what a fenian is, why would any song offend them?

No, I'm not sure where I implied that....perhaps you could show me?

I am a bit undecided about this issue as on the one hand I love the Loyalist/Unionist stance of the Rangers support as it gives you something to hang on to, something to be genuinely proud of that Rangers are just that little bit different from most other big clubs. For example, I love the colour and spectacle of an orange walk - it's awe inspiring on the eye and Heavenly on the ear. The militaristic beat of the soul soaring music makes you glad to be alive.

On the other hand, I have a lot of Celtic supporting friends whom I trust and respect and the words and meanings of the some of the songd hit a little too close to home for comfort. In my teenage years I sung the whole songbook but now that I've mellowed and seen a little bit of the world I simply can't feel good about singing some of these songs.

I don't know, I'm probably regarded as a 'handwringer' in here but what I will say is I've been following Rangers for nearly a quarter of a century, a lot of the time despite some reservations about our PUL image, but I'm still here and still proud to be a bear. I'm not sure how I fit into the the OP's idea of how one should act as a Rangers fan but I know that I'll be here regardless.

By the way, I'm a bit drunk and not sure if I'm making any sense but I hope I got my point across properly.

(tu)

You are better when you're pished lol

This is probably the most sincere post I have seen from you, I know you like to play the cynic at times but I feel you keep your cards close to your chest, wise move on this forum..nice to open up now and again thought bud..respect.

I see you mix up your PUL agenda with just sheer love of the club - again - our Sheffield trip was an obvious success - almost as obvious as you trying to piggy back your beliefs onto said success - what about all the non- PUL fans who also attended and had a great time - love of ones club does not have to be tied to any political or religious agenda

you are correct , it does not, but, for those of us who grew up with these beliefs and values, they are tied up with our love of the club....... different strokes,different folks as they say..

Primary School end of term prizegiving day. Rev James Currie giving out the prizes wearing a Rangers scarf, dress Rangers scarf, Teacher at the end of the schoolday when the Rangers were playing some big game that evening asking the boys and girls whos giving a cheer for Rangers? desk lids banging feet stamping hand clapping cheering. BB choirmistress giving a harsh look if you werent at Ibrox on Saturday, best to say you were even if you werent. Sunday best church and sunday school clothes on going to Ibrox for a game on a Sunday, whoever heard of such a thing , a game on a sunday, 60 000. lots of Sunday best on display, I could go on.

Mon the Dinosaurs.