***The Official Rangers v Arbroath thread***

bluenose_72

Just back from the game. I really did despair watching that first half. When you compare it to the likes of the Airdrie match, in which we looked like scoring every time we went forward, it was sloppy, uninspired and nowhere near cohesive enough. I don't know if it was lack of communication or what but we gave them far too much space at times when they were breaking forward, worrying to watch.

Overall though I'm not concerned in the long run, we picked it up eventually with some well worked goals. It took far too long and we only seemed to pick up the intensity after we scored. That's ok as long as it's just an off day. I came away feeling good about the match as we had a great last quarter, if we can have an off day and still win 5-1 that's not too bad really.

Standouts today for me, first of all Nicky Law was fantastic. I've not been sure up until now but he's our best player IMO, his holding up of the ball, passing, positioning, awareness, drive and strength were all there to see today, and he seems to be a model of consistency as well.

Jig was solid and of course scored another fucking hat trick, including that incredible effort. I haven't seen footage yet but the way he hit that from where I was sitting was breathtaking.

Peralta had a good game I thought, some nervy times earlier on but you could see what he's capable of as well, he'll get better as he goes.

Mohsni was really solid I thought, seems to do some daft things here and there but he's a big strong cunt and I think he'll do a job for us. There were times when he made passes and it looked like he'd stumbled and blootered it, but it mostly went straight to a blue shirt so it must just be the way he moves!

Smith had a good game. Templeton was good too, his wee reverse pass for Little's strike was great, he had some exciting runs and turns and I seem to remember he could have scored a cracker after a great solo run.

My hotdog was good as well. By the way do they not do Irn Bru in the ground at all? My girlfriend was annoyed at that, we were in the Club Deck.

Exactly how I see it too mate :-)

That first-half wasn't inevitable, but I wasn't surprised by it. Six or seven new arrivals, in their first competitive game together, were never going to hit the ground running.

Their goal was a surprise, against the run of play and an absolute fluke. Big questions were asked, though, and McCoist's changes had the right impact.

Player-wise, I felt that Clark would have been more comfortable beside Daly than behind him and Peralta was much, much more capable in the middle of the park than out wide.

I left Ibrox happy, anyway.