Platini Wants 40 Team World Cup

Increasing the number of teams just dilutes the achievement of reaching the finals IMO. Haven't read the article fully, where does he want these 8 extra places to come from?

EDIT - Just read up on it, he wants more teams from Africa and Asia, plus 1 more European place. Scotland still wouldn't qualify.

Unless they change how teams go through, it wouldn't really make sense.

20 teams go through, 10 games, then 10 teams go through, 5 games, then 5 teams go through, you've got one left over...

Just fucks it up, really.

Hes saying 2 teams qualify from groups of 5 instead of 4, so nothing changes.

What pointless games are there? They only play 3 group each games then into last 16.

Only pointless game I can think of is the game for 3rd and 4th place.

Don't see how adding another 8 teams will make it any better though.

the pointless games are just like the pointless games in the CL, a hundred stage manged meaningless ties to get eh the same quarter final line up every year. The WC is becoming as much a farce as the CL

the pointless games are just like the pointless games in the CL, a hundred stage manged meaningless ties to get eh the same quarter final line up every year. The WC is becoming as much a farce as the CL

It's hardly the exact same teams every single year.

I love the CL knockout stage, and I want to see the best teams in it.

I've thought that for years

8 groups of 5 would be better than the current format in my opinion.

Give Oceania one actual place; Africa 2 extra places; Asia 2 extra places and 3 cross-continental play-off matches involving North America; South America and Europe.

But at the end of the day, there could be 140 team world cup and Scotland still wouldn't qualify so I hope no Scottish Bears are getting excited.

Increasing the number of teams just dilutes the achievement of reaching the finals IMO. Haven't read the article fully, where does he want these 8 extra places to come from?

EDIT - Just read up on it, he wants more teams from Africa and Asia, plus 1 more European place. Scotland still wouldn't qualify.

Well obviously - if it's getting increased it's not to help Scotland :lol:

What pointless games are there? They only play 3 group each games then into last 16.

A lot of the group games are formalities and there's also games where the quality is not what you expect from what is supposed to be the pinnacle tournament of international football. The European Championships has always been the best tournament, although thats been increased by 50% more teams for the next tournament which will help Scotland and many other nations but will inevitably dilute the quality.

Whats the point in a long, drawn out qualification process? especially for the Euro's as a team now only has to finish 3rd to make the playoffs?

FIFA are ruining these competitions for the sake of more money for the host nation, FIFA and the television companies. I suppose its understandable as money talks but the quality will certainly be reduced.

Just reading in The Times that he wants to increase the amount of teams from 32 to 40.

Good for Scotland obviously but if anything the amount of teams needs reduced. There's a lot of pointless games in there as it is.

Just reading in The Times that he wants to increase the amount of teams from 32 to 40.

Good for Scotland obviously but if anything the amount of teams needs reduced. There's a lot of pointless games in there as it is.

Platini can suck my cock