Boxing

LucyBlue

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to see the answer to those who say Floyd Mayweather is boring, here he is fighting a man with the guts (and the lack of brains) to try to brawl with him.

Mayweather may have skills but since moving up to welter he has cherry picked, keeping his 0 intact.

Gatti was always a C class fight...exciting to watch but he was done after the Ward trilogy

Mayweather may have skills but since moving up to welter he has cherry picked, keeping his 0 intact.

Gatti was always a C class fight...exciting to watch but he was done after the Ward trilogy

I don't think there's any question of that, but the fact that he was wary doesn't mean he would have lost certain fights if they had been made.

I really don't see how even Manny beats him.

What I will say is that any other fighter bringing half the skills of Mayweather, and with Corrales, Castillo (x2), Gatti, Judah, De La Hoya, Hatton, Marquez, Cotto and Alvarez on his CV would be questioned a lot less than Floyd is.

I don't think there's any question of that, but the fact that he was wary doesn't mean he would have lost certain fights if they had been made.

I really don't see how even Manny beats him.

I agree however I hate the nut hugging he gets from certain sections in the boxing fraternity.

He picks opponents e.g Marquez, Alvarez, Hatton and makes them fight above or below there optimum weight. After winning at a canter he is proclaimed the greatetst, MAN UP mayweather!

I think Manny in his prime would have given him a very close fight, he is unpredictable, throws punches in bunches/weird angles and he is fast.

Cotto in his prime at light welter would have given him a very close fight

Sugar Shane would have beaten him in his prime many moons ago not when he was on his last legs/same goes for Oscar.

Not to rant but it pisses me off the amount of praise he gets for beating past prime fighters lol

Had he been fight in the era of the 4 Kings he would have lost his 0 thats for sure.

I agree however I hate the nut hugging he gets from certain sections in the boxing fraternity.

He picks opponents e.g Marquez, Alvarez, Hatton and makes them fight above or below there optimum weight. After winning at a canter he is proclaimed the greatetst, MAN UP mayweather!

I think Manny in his prime would have given him a very close fight, he is unpredictable, throws punches in bunches/weird angles and he is fast.

Cotto in his prime at light welter would have given him a very close fight

Sugar Shane would have beaten him in his prime many moons ago not when he was on his last legs/same goes for Oscar.

Not to rant but it pisses me off the amount of praise he gets for beating past prime fighters lol

Had he been fight in the era of the 4 Kings he would have lost his 0 thats for sure.

I appreciate what you're saying and I also don't mean to rant but people talk about Mayweather like he's 25, beating old men. He's an old man. Why should his wins be asterisked because they're against "past prime fighters"? How do you decide when their prime is? How do you decide whether or not Floyd is past his, for that matter? And was Cotto really past it when Floyd beat him, or is he considered past it because Floyd beat him? He gave him a great fight and was 34-2 at the time, with his two losses coming against great champs. And who's to say what a fighter's natural weight is? Who says Floyd is fighting at his? People are willing to make excuses for his opponents that they wouldn't make for him, and cut his opponents slack that they wouldn't cut him. You're probably right, he would have lost the zero in other eras. So what? Leonard, Duran, Hearns and Hagler all lost fights and nobody denies that they are all-time greats. My appreciation for Mayweather has very little to do with his unbeaten record. I doubt anybody cares about that but him.

People act like Mayweather's easy wins should be brushed off because his opponents looked ordinary. Can you imagine how hard it is to make fighters like Marquez look ordinary? And Marquez on his special training regime no doubt too.

Before my time but Barry McGuigan was a Boxer who I've always admired and respected and that saying something coming from a bitter bastard like myself.

Didn't McGuigan have support from both communities in NI? And gave his gratitude back to both.

Lennox Lewis is also a top quality fighter.

Bruno Tyson fights from the 80s are worth a watch and Bruno McCall when he finally became world champion.

One of my pals went to Vegas to see Lewis vs Tyson. I fucking hated him for that. I'm glad the fight was a non-event. Hah.

Jim Watt v Sean O'Grady.

O'Grady was invited to appear at Septic Park because he sounded like a tim. Appeared on the pitch wearing a Celtic strip but it done him no good as Watt beat him on a ko with a wicked right hook ( ok a headbutt really)

Watt beating the crap out of Charlie Nash ( a repulican shitbag from Londonderry) is also an enjoyable watch

I appreciate what you're saying and I also don't mean to rant but people talk about Mayweather like he's 25, beating old men. He's an old man. Why should his wins be asterisked because they're against "past prime fighters"? How do you decide when their prime is? How do you decide whether or not Floyd is past his, for that matter? And was Cotto really past it when Floyd beat him, or is he considered past it because Floyd beat him? He gave him a great fight and was 34-2 at the time, with his two losses coming against great champs. And who's to say what a fighter's natural weight is? Who says Floyd is fighting at his? People are willing to make excuses for his opponents that they wouldn't make for him, and cut his opponents slack that they wouldn't cut him. You're probably right, he would have lost the zero in other eras. So what? Leonard, Duran, Hearns and Hagler all lost fights and nobody denies that they are all-time greats. My appreciation for Mayweather has very little to do with his unbeaten record. I doubt anybody cares about that but him.

People act like Mayweather's easy wins should be brushed off because his opponents looked ordinary. Can you imagine how hard it is to make fighters like Marquez look ordinary? And Marquez on his special training regime no doubt too.

I agree Mayweather is not a young man in Boxing terms but if we dissect his record in my opinion he is given far too much credit for this career post lightweight.

Arguably he will go down as one of the best(Duran) if not the best there ever has been but its when he moves up to light welter he starts avoiding certain fighters in my opinion. Instead of fighting Tszyu, Hatton he fights a washed up Gatti, Washed up Mitchell.

Moves up to welter and instead of fighting imo a prime Cotto or Mosley he fights Judah who got beat by a slow slugger in Baldomir then again ducks any of the other top contenders and fights Baldomir.

Moves up to Light Middle and takes on an OLD and past it Middleweight in Oscar, wins a very close fight. But again could have fought Margarito, Cotto, Manny

I am not disagreeing with you on his talent, more with his cherry picking of opponents. If we compare to Sugar ray, Hearns, even Manny they have always fought the best win, lose or draw. Floyd is too afraid to lose his perfect record.

In regard to Marquez, remember JMM is a natural lightweight and never fought above 135 yet Floyd made him fight at a catchweight of 144 although Floyd if i rememmber came in at 147 and was fined for doing so. Unfair advantage and it showed during the fight.

It's amazing that it took till Rocky 5 till Balboa found out he had brain damage....

He got rattled every second of every round!

Of course, the real joke is that Stallone's facial damage and slurred speech from birth complications have given the impression that he has had brain damage from day one.
Ok, that's not really very funny at all.

Of course, the real joke is that Stallone's facial damage and slurred speech from birth complications have given the impression that he has had brain damage from day one.

Ok, that's not really very funny at all.

He also gave his mother brain damage from his birth judging by the look of her

Didn't McGuigan have support from both communities in NI? And gave his gratitude back to both.

Yep, refused to take sides on the religious divide at a time when some Athletes might have - took a peace flag to the ring rather than a Tri-Colour or UJ. It also probably helped that he married a Protestant and became a British Citizen with many people.