Boxing

LucyBlue

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Mayweather is not a young man in Boxing terms but if we dissect his record in my opinion he is given far too much credit for this career post lightweight.

Arguably he will go down as one of the best(Duran) if not the best there ever has been but its when he moves up to light welter he starts avoiding certain fighters in my opinion. Instead of fighting Tszyu, Hatton he fights a washed up Gatti, Washed up Mitchell.

Moves up to welter and instead of fighting imo a prime Cotto or Mosley he fights Judah who got beat by a slow slugger in Baldomir then again ducks any of the other top contenders and fights Baldomir.

Moves up to Light Middle and takes on an OLD and past it Middleweight in Oscar, wins a very close fight. But again could have fought Margarito, Cotto, Manny

I am not disagreeing with you on his talent, more with his cherry picking of opponents. If we compare to Sugar ray, Hearns, even Manny they have always fought the best win, lose or draw. Floyd is too afraid to lose his perfect record.

Yeah, I can't deny that, and it's sad. Let's say he had two fights with Manny (a couple of years ago. If it happens now and he wins, nobody will care), won one of them and lost the other, in whichever order. His legacy would look a hell of a lot better than retiring 50-0 without fighting Manny.

I don't blame him entirely though. The promoters have a lot to answer for. There was a time when a fight like Mayweather vs Pacquiao just couldn't have been avoided. That should be the case now.

I always remember staying up late for Naz and Tyson fights and the ring entrances would last longer than the fights.

:lol:

I think time will be kind to the Prince. He was kind of a joke when he retired but he was a very, very good fighter who just didn't have the discipline. If he wasn't such an almighty bellend, he'd be thought of as the George Best of boxing. Unbelievably talented.

Yep, refused to take sides on the religious divide at a time when some Athletes might have - took a peace flag to the ring rather than a Tri-Colour or UJ. It also probably helped that he married a Protestant and became a British Citizen with many people.

Barry was a great boxer who made one mistake in agreeing to fight outside in scorching heat

:lol: Thats fucking brilliant mate :thumbup:

I just made an off-hand remark about the second fight with Duran and a day or so later, after he had already tweeted dozens of other times, he must've thought of something he wanted to say and engaged me in conversation.

Me and Sugar Ray are best pals now, like.

Jim Watt v Sean O'Grady.

O'Grady was invited to appear at Septic Park because he sounded like a tim. Appeared on the pitch wearing a Celtic strip but it done him no good as Watt beat him on a ko with a wicked right hook ( ok a headbutt really)

Watt beating the crap out of Charlie Nash ( a repulican shitbag from Londonderry) is also an enjoyable watch

The fight v o' Grady happened the same weekend as us gubbing the tims 3-0 if I remember right.