Generic Gaming thread (formerly known as the PS4 Thread)

Iakona

2 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

It back down in price yet mate? 

Honestly haven't looked mate I've had it a while haha I've always been a casual Basketball fan on the side but a enjoy the online more than fifa now.

If its no then 2k21 is only a few month away anyway mate.

TLOU2

Spoiler

I genuinely don't understand how a group of people sat in a room, dreamt that plot up and thought it was a good story to tell. 

It makes no sense from the very moment that Joel and Tommy are in that lodge with Abby and her crew, why would they both trust these people straight away after surviving in that world for over 20 years, so Abby kills Joel but leaves Tommy and Ellie alive because reasons then the game forces you to play as her for half of the game. Then Ellie goes on this mission for revenge only to let her escape on a boat at the very end :lol:

Was a genuine struggle to finish it and the ending and everything in between was absolute ballocks, the gameplay and graphics are the only two shining lights in a toilet pan full of utter shite like the characters and pacing. 

How did they manage to fuck it up so bad? 

5 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

TLOU2

Hide contents

I genuinely don't understand how a group of people sat in a room, dreamt that plot up and thought it was a good story to tell. 

It makes no sense from the very moment that Joel and Tommy are in that lodge with Abby and her crew, why would they both trust these people straight away after surviving in that world for over 20 years, so Abby kills Joel but leaves Tommy and Ellie alive because reasons then the game forces you to play as her for half of the game. Then Ellie goes on this mission for revenge only to let her escape on a boat at the very end :lol:

Was a genuine struggle to finish it and the ending and everything in between was absolute ballocks, the gameplay and graphics are the only two shining lights in a toilet pan full of utter shite like the characters and pacing. 

How did they manage to fuck it up so bad? 

I realise I'm probably in a minority (judging by the overall sentiment online and from yourself) but I loved the story. You go on this journey with Ellie to try and get revenge for Joel's killing and you see her do horrible things to Nora, Owen and Mel among others, you think the action's peaked and then her whole world gets shattered again when Abby shows up. Making you play as Abby - which I fucking hated at first - gives you a fresh perspective on the whole situation. Her story is almost an emotional parallel to Ellie's but she's further forward in that arc by the time they meet up the second time. Abby also echoes Joel in a way when she picks up Lev and has to protect him in the same way Joel protected Ellie and Abby manages to finally find something meaningful in her life. 

When Ellie is about to kill Abby she then gets a flash of Joel and that's what makes her realise that killing her isn't what needs to be done. Abby did what she did for legitimate reasons and she had a lot of weight as a character as a result of that. Joel knew exactly what he was doing when he saved Ellie at the end of part 1 and I'm sure folk were torn as to whether he made the right decision or not, but Abby was the repercussions of that decision.

I found myself absolutely hating the Abby part, but see as her story unfolds I think it's a really interesting perspective to have taken and I was happy in the end when Ellie let her live. One of the best parts of the game though was fighting Ellie as Abby. Was tense as fuck and really cool to see how the NPCs all game must feel coming up against her. Again, I know folk will disagree with me - I couldn't understand it when other people loved the last Star Wars film when I hated it - but I genuinely thought everything just worked well. 

On 22/06/2020 at 13:09, DBBTB said:

I’m not going into spoilers yet until more people have played more of it but TLOU2 had my undivided interest and then it completely lost me. I’m not even arsed to finish it now.

Assuming you've just started Abby's part? If so, you're supposed to feel that way, it's supposed to feel jarring and shite, but give it time and it works. Or it might not and you might hate it more. 

I finished it yesterday 

And IMO they well and truly fucked Ellie something rotten. 

At the end she has lost Joel, she still has to deal with the guilt of being a bitch to him before he died, she doesn’t get revenge on Abby, she loses her ability to play the guitar and she loses her family. She’s basically left as a total shell of a character at the end.

And then on the other hand you have Abby who goes the opposite way to the point that by the end she’s taking the moral high ground by refusing to fight Ellie and then getting to sail away on a boat to rejoin the Fireflys with her pseudo son in about what is as close to a happy ending as you are going to get in this universe.

I can see what they wanted to do there, but it’s still very messy and I’m not sure it really worked and I’m not sure it ever could have because people were so into Joel and Ellie. Nobody wanted a game that tries to make you see them as anything but the people you are rooting for.

I really enjoyed the game in terms of gameplay and the effects but yeah by trying to create some sort of Game of Thrones or The Wire like story of moral complexity and really pushing it down your throat I think they made a massive mistake because people were so invested in Ellie and Joel.

I enjoyed playing it, but in terms of the story it’s not what I really wanted. 

Spoiler

Joel and Ellie drive to Pittsburgh where they come across a man on the road wounded and begging for help, Ellie wants to stop and help whilst Joel notices the trap straight away, massive fight ensues with all the hunters dead and then Joel telling Ellie that he's been on both sides of that ambush. 

Later on they bump into Henry and Sam and Joel's very first instinct is to murder Henry because he thinks they're out to kill them, then only stops because he sees Henry has a kid with him as well. 

Joel attempts to murder Henry a second time after they abandon Joel whilst escaping from the Humvee, but Henry admits that they could've let both Joel and Ellie drown after seeing them jump from the bridge, so Joel forgives them. 

Fast forward to the scene with Marlene in the car park of the hospital, she's begging for her life but Joel kills her after saying, "You'll just come after her". 

Now we come to the sequel, Joel and Tommy do not question Abby when they first meet, who is she and why is she there, then decide to let her entire crew go back to Jackson when they do not know a single thing about these people or what their intentions are. 

Abby kills Joel but lets Tommy and Ellie live when nobody else would in that situation. 

That's just the nonsensical story, there's a whole raft of characters in this game that are meaningless, didn't care for Dina, Jesse, Yara or Lev. The whole cultist thing was just stupid, we never find out anything about them apart from they live on an island and are obsessed with this woman, the WLF are the same, Isaac gets built up for hours then we have a small cut scene with him only for him to show up again hours later when he gets killed by Yara. 

The thing that made the first game so special was Joel and Ellie's relationship building as you travel across America, meeting memorable characters along the way, there's none of that in the sequel. 

Played through the first one god knows how many times, did two playthroughs on survivor then new game plus before TLOU2 launched, the sequel won't be getting played again. 

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:
  Hide contents

Joel and Ellie drive to Pittsburgh where they come across a man on the road wounded and begging for help, Ellie wants to stop and help whilst Joel notices the trap straight away, massive fight ensues with all the hunters dead and then Joel telling Ellie that he's been on both sides of that ambush. 

Later on they bump into Henry and Sam and Joel's very first instinct is to murder Henry because he thinks they're out to kill them, then only stops because he sees Henry has a kid with him as well. 

Joel attempts to murder Henry a second time after they abandon Joel whilst escaping from the Humvee, but Henry admits that they could've let both Joel and Ellie drown after seeing them jump from the bridge, so Joel forgives them. 

Fast forward to the scene with Marlene in the car park of the hospital, she's begging for her life but Joel kills her after saying, "You'll just come after her". 

Now we come to the sequel, Joel and Tommy do not question Abby when they first meet, who is she and why is she there, then decide to let her entire crew go back to Jackson when they do not know a single thing about these people or what their intentions are. 

Abby kills Joel but lets Tommy and Ellie live when nobody else would in that situation. 

That's just the nonsensical story, there's a whole raft of characters in this game that are meaningless, didn't care for Dina, Jesse, Yara or Lev. The whole cultist thing was just stupid, we never find out anything about them apart from they live on an island and are obsessed with this woman, the WLF are the same, Isaac gets built up for hours then we have a small cut scene with him only for him to show up again hours later when he gets killed by Yara. 

The thing that made the first game so special was Joel and Ellie's relationship building as you travel across America, meeting memorable characters along the way, there's none of that in the sequel. 

Played through the first one god knows how many times, did two playthroughs on survivor then new game plus before TLOU2 launched, the sequel won't be getting played again. 

Even the way that Dina and Ellie’s relationship was established was rushed. Dina and Jesse have just spilt up and he’s like nah it’s cool crack on with her we won’t be getting back together without him being bothered at all :lol:

The only new character that I really grew to like was Owen. He was the one guy within Abby’s team who I grew to think was potentially a “decent” guy. Even when they killed Joel he stopped Jordan killing Ellie.

37 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Reveal hidden contents

Even the way that Dina and Ellie’s relationship was established was rushed. Dina and Jesse have just spilt up and he’s like nah it’s cool crack on with her we won’t be getting back together without him being bothered at all :lol:

The only new character that I really grew to like was Owen. He was the one guy within Abby’s team who I grew to think was potentially a “decent” guy. Even when they killed Joel he stopped Jordan killing Ellie.

28 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Something else I’ll say about it is the people complaining about the inclusion of LGBT and trans characters are absolute morons too. Of all the games problems that’s what they want to focus on? :lol:

Spoiler

I honestly can't get my head around people who loved the first game giving this perfect scores and saying its a good game when there's so many glaringly obvious things wrong with it. 

Everything that happens in this sequel has rendered all the struggles and hardship Joel and Ellie went through in the first game meaningless. 

Loads of people were saying we didn't need a sequel and I can see where they were coming from at the time, but if you've made something so good like that then why not explore the universe either with the same characters or completely new ones, ND have tried to do both but completely fucked it in the process. 

It's like some random henchmans son going after Nathan Drake in UC5 because he fell off a cliff in #4, its laughably bad. 

12 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

@DBBTB

Hide contents

Best bit was the flashback with Ellie's birthday and the dinosaur museum, that and Ellie singing Take on Me :lol:

They surely have to make it a trilogy now 

That gives Ellie some sort of closure and a proper ending?

I liked doing the attack on the Rattlers base. That silenced AK made it a lot of fun :lol:

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Hide contents

I honestly can't get my head around people who loved the first game giving this perfect scores and saying its a good game when there's so many glaringly obvious things wrong with it. 

Everything that happens in this sequel has rendered all the struggles and hardship Joel and Ellie went through in the first game meaningless. 

Loads of people were saying we didn't need a sequel and I can see where they were coming from at the time, but if you've made something so good like that then why not explore the universe either with the same characters or completely new ones, ND have tried to do both but completely fucked it in the process. 

It's like some random henchmans son going after Nathan Drake in UC5 because he fell off a cliff in #4, its laughably bad. 

See I think making major characters from things that happened to minor characters can work. That sort of thing happened in GOT with the way Ramsay Bolton came from nowhere to become a huge antagonist for example. We were just never put in a position where we had to try and understand his motivation and/or grow to like him.

I also think if you are trying to create a moral dilemma like that then they should have had two endings where you either get to choose to kill Abby or let her live.

23 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

They surely have to make it a trilogy now 

Reveal hidden contents

That gives Ellie some sort of closure and a proper ending?

I liked doing the attack on the Rattlers base. That silenced AK made it a lot of fun :lol:

18 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Reveal hidden contents

See I think making major characters from things that happened to minor characters can work. That sort of thing happened in GOT with the way Ramsay Bolton came from nowhere to become a huge antagonist for example. We were just never put in a position where we had to try and understand his motivation and/or grow to like him.

I also think if you are trying to create a moral dilemma like that then they should have had two endings where you either get to choose to kill Abby or let her live.

Spoiler

I can't see there being a trilogy tbh I don't think the appetite for it will be there. 

No problem with main characters dying in games or films but there has to be a reason for it and it has to executed properly, people were never going to enjoy playing a huge chunk of this sequel as the person who's killed the main character of the previous game, its almost as if ND have discovered nobody has done it before so they've just ran with that so they can claim to be the first to do it. 

First game we care for Joel because we experience first hand his daughter dying in a horrible way, then Ellie comes into the fold and their relationship builds from there,then we're thrust into Abbys shoes in the sequel when all we know about her at the time is she murdered Joel, no character building or anything. 

I think they didn't know how to end the game either, there was at least 3 or 4 times I thought OK that's it finished only for it to keep rolling on, if they had ended it with Ellie and Dina just staying on the farm it would've been better than Ellie going after Abby again only to let her fuck off again, then Ellie ends up with nothing in the end which made the whole trip to Santa Barbara a complete waste of time. 

History won't be kind to this game imo. 

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

I hope not. I was looking forward to it but I think FPS are shite so if it is I won’t be buying it.

Same. I thought it was a free roam game in different aspects but if its FPS then nah. Big disappointment 

15 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

It is a free roam game?

Like GTA? From the videos on gameplay it doesn't really look that great but I don't know if you can play about with the 1st person view point or not. If you cant then it doesn't interest me. 

43 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Like GTA? From the videos on gameplay it doesn't really look that great but I don't know if you can play about with the 1st person view point or not. If you cant then it doesn't interest me. 

Aye it seems like it from what I've seen.

12 hours ago, The Godfather said:

Is that cyber punk a fps? 

Eh... I wouldn't call it an FPS, it's not a shooter like Call of Duty, Doom,...

It's gonna be a lot more RPG/action-adventure that just happens to have first person view. I for one can't wait, it looks fantastic.

Also found out yesterday Ghost of Tsushima is already coming out in July. I thought it would be months away. 

3 hours ago, Jelle1880 said:

Eh... I wouldn't call it an FPS, it's not a shooter like Call of Duty, Doom,...

It's gonna be a lot more RPG/action-adventure that just happens to have first person view. I for one can't wait, it looks fantastic.

Also found out yesterday Ghost of Tsushima is already coming out in July. I thought it would be months away. 

As I said if it's in FPS then it doesn't interest me.