Generic Gaming thread (formerly known as the PS4 Thread)

Iakona

On 07/11/2020 at 17:24, Jimbeamjunior said:

Miles morales out this week, it looks slick as fuck, cannot wait 

Really excited for it, but it seems like it was clearly developed initially as DLC. It’s meant to be quite short.

Still takes a while before I get bored of roaming around to be fair, I think I’ll be fine!

11 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Have you got it mate? Was meaning to buy on release but never bothered, no doubt pick it up on PS5. 

I’ve not got it yet. Didn’t want to pat the full £55 or whatever when it came out. Hoping somebody will get me it for Christmas though.

I’m going on to three day working weeks to use my annual leave up from next week so I’m planning to just keep playing RE2 and then RE3 non stop over the next few weeks and then start GOT after Christmas. 

1 hour ago, Iakona said:

Assassin's Creed Valhalla is brilliant so far. 

I’ve always thought they look great but after that wears off, Ubisoft’s mission layout / storyline or lack thereof does my head in. Would you say this is more linear or open world or much of the same?

17 minutes ago, CR3 said:

I’ve always thought they look great but after that wears off, Ubisoft’s mission layout / storyline or lack thereof does my head in. Would you say this is more linear or open world or much of the same?

Tough question to answer really, but it's a massive open world.

What was the last one that you played? I'll be able to answer your question better knowing that.

2 hours ago, Iakona said:

Tough question to answer really, but it's a massive open world.

What was the last one that you played? I'll be able to answer your question better knowing that.

I loved AC 1 &2 then lost interest as I found them quite repetitive after that, haven't played any of the recent ones past few years.

This one looks quite different though in terms of style, is it a bit more like Shadow of War?

1 hour ago, The Monk said:

I loved AC 1 &2 then lost interest as I found them quite repetitive after that, haven't played any of the recent ones past few years.

This one looks quite different though in terms of style, is it a bit more like Shadow of War?

Yeah they basically redesigned everything from the ground up with AC Origins. The modern day part is virtually non existent at this point and there's a bigger focus on exploring mythology (Egyptian, Greek and now Norse).

I'd say it now sits somewhere between the Witcher and Shadow of Mordor/War.

@CR3 Origins was abit rough round the edges. You could tell it was their first attempt at trying something new and the questing/story telling was admittedly pretty weak and bloaty. They improved it massively in Odyssey though, although the side quests do still feel like bloating alot of the time.. it's not like the Witcher where every quest is a story in its own right.

It's early days since Valhalla only came out today..but it looks like they've put quite alot of effort into addressing the side quest bloat that the past 2 had. I'm enjoying the main story too.. but I've spent most of my time just cutting limbs off.

Seen that Destiny 2: Beyond Light is on game pass now, if they’ve finally chucked wanting cash for all the expansions then fair play.. ended up being about £120 for base game and DLC’s in the first year I’m sure so at least you’re getting a couple for nothing now(Shadowkeep & BL)  also loads of game for someone that’s joining late also.

Star Wars Jedi fallen order added too, good single player if you haven’t played it.

Some performance measures for DMC5 (note it's an 1080p 60fps capture)

Very mixed for both consoles. Those frame dips in 120hz mode though.. honestly I'd rather just be locked to 60hz than deal with that judder. Series X does implement some variable refresh rate tech but it's not going to be much use with that that level of inconsistency.

Worryingly though.. The PS5 does not have an option to lock to 60hz which is a huge plus for Series X right now. So if you have a 4k HDMI 2.0 TV... Rather than getting the 4k 60hz that you would expect.. the system will downgrade the resolution to 1080p so it can stay at 120hz. DF said they will do more testing to establish if this is a system level issue or if it's down to the developer.

Some performance measures with Raytracing too - both are pretty comfortable at 60fps+ @ 1080p - PS5 does fall under on occasion. At 4k though both struggle to stay above 50 fps. Raytracing performance will widely vary game by game though.

On 19/11/2020 at 15:26, CR3 said:

Could imagine games like that and Final Fantasy 15 performing very badly tbh. Mad to see how inconsistent it was though. 

PS5 is performing better in Valhalla and Dirt 5 too. Dirt 5 is a big performance difference too. Kinda making a mock of Microsoft's most powerful console ever marketing. Hopefully it's just a bug.

11 hours ago, Iakona said:

PS5 is performing better in Valhalla and Dirt 5 too. Dirt 5 is a big performance difference too. Kinda making a mock of Microsoft's most powerful console ever marketing. Hopefully it's just a bug.

doesn’t surprise me Codemasters cutting corners, the game looks worse than Forza 7 and thats three years old. So, in that sense I’m not bothered a poorly executed game runs better on a PS.

About time Sony had something competitive in performance is it not? The PS4 Pro was in the X’s shadow the full of the previous generation.

I’ve only been playing Valhalla on an X, seems OK but Ubisoft games (mainly their AI) are shit.  Wildlands, Far Cry 5, division (2 was better.) Ghost Recon breakpoint beta was hilariously bad and broken.

Valhalla was basically a gamble of the 50 quid I spent on it. Like Origins and Odyssey once you get by pretty much the good looking intros and actually need a good story or quest line, they fail and all become similar. IMO

At least Cyberpunk is out soon

Finished my second run with Leon in 2:48 (had to kill final Mr X with the bloody handgun) so I’ve unlocked the unlimited handgun. 

Want to go up a level and try runs on hardcore but after a couple of play throughs I feel like I’ve got everything out of the game that I’m going to at the moment so I might go on to RE3 for a bit.

47 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Finished my second run with Leon in 2:48 (had to kill final Mr X with the bloody handgun) so I’ve unlocked the unlimited handgun. 

Want to go up a level and try runs on hardcore but after a couple of play throughs I feel like I’ve got everything out of the game that I’m going to at the moment so I might go on to RE3 for a bit.

Buzzing for RE8 next year. 

What did you think of 7 if you've played it?