Our Squad

Surprises me some of the comments about who we wanted in the Scottish Cup. Quite a lot of people think we'd get beat by a decent premier team. And a lot of people saying the likes of Aberdeen who are probably the second best team in the SPL just now are a better team than us.

Why is this? Is it because people think they have better players or do people think that Ally is that bad a manager? Because just looking at Aberdeen's team I genuinely don't think there is even one of their players I would have in our first team over the players we have. Even Celtic aren't that great a team, granted I'd say theirs is better than ours at the moment but not by that much, and we should be able to challenge even them if we met them later on.

Do you not think we should be confident of beating any team we got (apart from possibly Celtic)? If you look at any SPL side outside Celtic I don't think hardly any of their players would get a game in the Rangers team, if any. Even looking at Celtic's side there's quite a few of their starting 11 that I wouldn't pick over our current players.

The main reason I think we'd struggle is because we are playing against part-timers every week where we have pretty much no competition. To go from that to playing against a full time team who are playing proper competitive games every week isn't as easy as some think.

Surprises me some of the comments about who we wanted in the Scottish Cup. Quite a lot of people think we'd get beat by a decent premier team. And a lot of people saying the likes of Aberdeen who are probably the second best team in the SPL just now are a better team than us.

Why is this? Is it because people think they have better players or do people think that Ally is that bad a manager? Because just looking at Aberdeen's team I genuinely don't think there is even one of their players I would have in our first team over the players we have. Even Celtic aren't that great a team, granted I'd say theirs is better than ours at the moment but not by that much, and we should be able to challenge even them if we met them later on.

For me personally i want to see the team progress in stages, i think if we lept from what we are playing just now to Celtic we'd be beat.

I would be fine with most of the rest of that division but i just want to see the team progress a little more rather than jump up a few levels too many too fast.

Fair comments. Though you'd expect the players to be able to raise their game, and I don't think with the exception of Celtic it's that big a difference in standard. I watched the Hibs v Hearts game the other day and the football was brutal. Celtic have been able to put in decent performance in the Champions League this year (and Rangers in previous years) playing against teams that are far better and also that are playing a far better level of football week in week out. Really hope we can get a good run this year. If we get through hoping the next game is at Ibrox. Think we can beat anyone at home :21:

Think we really should be too good for everyone apart from the filth.

Look at the sheep squad ffs. Honestly dont think any of them would get a game at Ibrox. Bitterness aside, l really think the tarriers are poor. This season all they have managed is a solitary win against a surprisingly poor Ajax side. Dirty bastards are almost there for the taking. Dont watch spl since we got thrown out, but the small amount l have seen has been ABSOLUTELY FUCKING DIRE. I mean cunts like ICT and St Johnstone up at the business end of the table is frankly embarassing.

Do you not think we should be confident of beating any team we got (apart from possibly Celtic)? If you look at any SPL side outside Celtic I don't think hardly any of their players would get a game in the Rangers team, if any. Even looking at Celtic's side there's quite a few of their starting 11 that I wouldn't pick over our current players.

Gary Mackay Steven, Niall Mcginn, to name two players who would play for us and get a game.

Anyway the jump from playing against part timers in a poor league to playing against a full time outfit in the spl would be a big jump.

We have a good squad but we'd find it tough playing one of the top 6 away from home anyway but i would still have confidence in our boys!

The step up in level of performance is the tricky bit. At the moment we dally at times and our tempo can be very slow. But I decided that I need to watch some top league games to see the standard, and Rangers could meet that standard, but no slow start, quick tempo and on the front foot. Could we do that in a one off game or do we need a few games at that level to get our attitude correct is the thing we will find out in the cup, when we meet a top league team.

Most are on about the step up in class of opposition, or a big jump from a poor league to playing an SPL team. Look at what the mhanky mhob have done in the CL! They're playing in a pretty pish poor league, yet made the jump to CL, & even qualified out of group stage last season ( I hope tae fuck they don't make it this year, not even Europa League). If they can do that , & IMHO it's the shittiest bunch of wankers they've had for a few years, then surely we'd be able to take on any SPL team in a cup competition?

PS. Am I allowed to use the word wanker? Or wankers? If wanker or the plural wankers are not permitted on/in RM, please accept my humblest of humble apologies. I'm off to have a wank now... :2gunsfiring_v1:

I think we could beat an spl team and without doubt if we are going to go far in the Scottish Cup we are going to need to beat at least one of them.

However I dont think we have a that great of a starting 11/squad at the minute for spl standards. And if we were playing week in week out with our team I would be a little worried

Look m8, celtic are shite, you hold them in too high an esteem for my liking, I'd be happy to take on any of the teams left in round 4

These teams have continuity and that's exactly what we don't have. They may change managers but they haven't had to build a whole new squad from near enough scratch. They are also competing at a higher level on a weekly basis. We're untested at that level.

People need to be realistic and realise we are undertaking a huge rebuilding job. It's not easy losing £30m worth of first-team players as well as your best youngsters. We are a club who doesn't even have a scouting system.

We face many huge challenges if we're going to get back to challenging for titles and competing in Europe. Even when we had all our international players it was still very difficult to win the league.The SPL is not an easy league to win. Only once in the last 13 years have Celtic not at least taken it to the last day. Substantial investment, good management, a stable boardroom, and a good scouting network will be required.

Ally is making good progress with the team. We see big improvements in every area this season. We've won 14 games in a row, scoring 51 goals and keeping 11 clean sheets.

Underachieving in every cup competition during McCoist's tenure and being so comfortably disposed of by Dundee Utd last season has planted seeds of doubt in people's head.

Personally, I think we are a lot stronger on the park this season and I would make us favourites in just about any game we could play in the Scottish Cup this season with the only exception being if we drew celtic.

This team bears no comparison to the team we put out last year, I still feel that we have a few gears we can go through, in football terms our squad is still getting to know each other, in some ways we took a step back on the 1st of september, the new guys made it like a new squad just trying to find their feet, if we had just signed Daly and Law I suspect we would still be in the same position we are in now but playing better.

I think you are underestimating the difference in intensity between playing at the level we find ourselves and that of the top league.

I'm not saying our squad isn't capable of beating these teams. I think it is, it's just not a given. What I'm saying is, it is still a step up and our players would be far far sharper if they were playing week in week out at that level.

I think the difference would be where the game was played.... At Ibrox on our day we would give most teams a run for there money... away as showed by last years Dundee utd game we were out our depth. I know we have a much stronger team this year but still think away from home we might have struggled.

The main reason I think we'd struggle is because we are playing against part-timers every week where we have pretty much no competition. To go from that to playing against a full time team who are playing proper competitive games every week isn't as easy as some think.

This is spot on

Aberdeen are very much a better team than us, and Celtic are just way ahead of us.

In Aberdeen's last 4 games they've won 4, scored 9 and conceded 0 against much better teams than the ones we're playing against.

A touch of reality is needed IMO.

Exactly, a touch of reality is needed. In reality we have the best squad in Scotland outside Celtic, and the second biggest wage bill to attract these players. Getting beat by anyone other than Celtic is a poor result and we shouldn't be making excuses for it, or saying statements like Aberdeen are a much better team when it's clearly not true. Tell me how many Aberdeen players would get in the Rangers team and in place of who? Since Aberdeen apparently have a much better team I am expecting atleast 7 or 8? (I've put Aberdeens last team below to help you in case you don't know their players).

Aberdeens team (v Partick)

Langfield

Jack

Considine

Flood

Hector

Reynolds

Pawlett

Smith

McGinn

Zola

Haye

Rangers team

Bell

Foster

Moshni

McCulloch

Wallace

Peralta

Law

Black

Macleod

Clarke

Daly

I think Reynolds, Jack & McGinn would all get into our team at the moment.

Could argue about all those players tbh. Like for example I'd have Law, Black or Macleod ahead of Jack, but even if you said those 3, that's only 3 out of 11 would get in the Rangers team, which shows Aberdeen clearly don't have a 'very much better team than us'?

Think we really should be too good for everyone apart from the filth.

Look at the sheep squad ffs. Honestly dont think any of them would get a game at Ibrox. Bitterness aside, l really think the tarriers are poor. This season all they have managed is a solitary win against a surprisingly poor Ajax side. Dirty bastards are almost there for the taking. Dont watch spl since we got thrown out, but the small amount l have seen has been ABSOLUTELY FUCKING DIRE. I mean cunts like ICT and St Johnstone up at the business end of the table is frankly embarassing.

this (tu)