The season so far

Yorkie Bear

I don't think this is a thread to bash the team, it was quite a positive OP amd despite how we feel about the backroom at Ibrox I think anyone is entitled to feel positive about whats happening on the field. Sure the level might not be great but I don't see a problem with people enjoying seeing us try to hiy 150 goals, it'll be brilliant for the kids too, especially those maybe too young to fully understand the situation the clubs in, some of their earliest footballing memories will be pumping teams regularly at Ibrox, who its against will be an irrelevance.

Top corner there OzBlue, great post!

I don't see our situation as black n white, there are positives and negatives. You make a good point in identifying between lumping the ball up the park aimlessly and picking out the likes of Daly. The problem I have is that too much of a reliance on that tactic is a bad thing, if Jon's out injured it's not going to work. The passing game has to be more developed IMO.

I too didn't expect McCoist to have us playing a great passing game and we've certainly not seen enough of it. As you point out though it has been seen now and then that the ability is there.

One thing McCoist has done which I didn't expect is to install a winning mentality, we definitely have that, and that's a great thing to have, something a Rangers side should have.

Best post ever!!

Well I'm sure many would disagree about your opinion stour, but thanks all the same. There are many small technical things that we do on the park that baffles me (coaching wise) but sometimes fans only see through tunnel vision about how a game is panning out. If it was so easy, every team would play silky football, but the majority of teams in the division we are in doesn't allow it (come to think of it, no division in Scotland is awash with silky football)

We can certainly improve our playing style, but it will be gradual rather than radical, if Ally improves his coaching outlook that is.

Got to agree with nearly all of that mate.

The thing about the corners fucking riles me though. Leave someone like Ricky foster, Nicky Clark, or law, one of the quickest players as an outball. Even if it means just hoofing it in their direction.

If there's everyone back, as soon as that ball is cleared it's coming straight back on top of us. You've also got the thing that keeper can't really command a box with 20 players in it. It's too easy to come for it and trip or run into a wall of players.

I don't get it and I've never seen it in my life. I can see why daly would go back to dominate our box but just leave someone with a wee bit of pace up to shut the defender who receives the ball down or to take the ball a run and relieve the pressure

As you know mate, I have never in my long life ever seen such a tactic (or understood it) such as the one Ally deploys at set pieces. It is neither here nor there in regard to zonal marking or man to man and defies logic, especially at that level of the game. It may have tightened up since last season because we have Jig and King Billy in there, plus Daly when he comes back to the point where not many goals are scored against us, but I guarantee that if we use that tactic as we play against better players as we progress to the top flight/Europe, we will get slaughtered.

We are a long way from being a good team, but there's hope for us if we change a few things defensively.

Got to agree with nearly all of that mate.

The thing about the corners fucking riles me though. Leave someone like Ricky foster, Nicky Clark, or law, one of the quickest players as an outball. Even if it means just hoofing it in their direction.

If there's everyone back, as soon as that ball is cleared it's coming straight back on top of us. You've also got the thing that keeper can't really command a box with 20 players in it. It's too easy to come for it and trip or run into a wall of players.

I don't get it and I've never seen it in my life. I can see why daly would go back to dominate our box but just leave someone with a wee bit of pace up to shut the defender who receives the ball down or to take the ball a run and relieve the pressure

Exactly, how effective is templeton gonna be in the box.

I don't think I've seen him win a header..... Ever!! Never mind at a corner!

The season so far....

Starting with the board - farce

Management team - inept of ideas, of setting out a stabilised structure and ethos of how to play football. And win....

Underperforming players on huge salaries.

No desire to play football.

Loads of 'wembley' wayward passes.

But hey, we r winning the league eh.??? Ah happy days.

Its a fucking chore at times and if anyone says they are actually enjoying the 'football' we are playing, minus the beer and vodka, then we are sxrewed. The league we are in makes no difference. We should be setting down a 'style' of play. No rangers manager has had the room for change as ally has, and he along with dumb and dumber beside him are leading us down a dark path.

but apart from all that you are happy right?

Fucking hell doh.

Top corner there OzBlue, great post!

I don't see our situation as black n white, there are positives and negatives. You make a good point in identifying between lumping the ball up the park aimlessly and picking out the likes of Daly. The problem I have is that too much of a reliance on that tactic is a bad thing, if Jon's out injured it's not going to work. The passing game has to be more developed IMO.

I too didn't expect McCoist to have us playing a great passing game and we've certainly not seen enough of it. As you point out though it has been seen now and then that the ability is there.

One thing McCoist has done which I didn't expect is to install a winning mentality, we definitely have that, and that's a great thing to have, something a Rangers side should have.

You have indeed reaffirmed a few pertinent points there RG (tu) We need to mix the long ball/passing tactics more,because although we are having success with Daly scoring for fun, it is starting to look as if the opposition are aware of that tactic being the main route so are now trying to cut out the supply getting to Daly. One of the main problems with using that tactic as our primary threat is that players start doing it subconciously and forget how to play any other way,which limits our options to virtually zero.

If i could give Ally one bit of advice it would be to use the long diagonal ball to Daly as our "stealth weapon" instead of being our Lancaster bomber.

My outlook is different from others. Football sorta gives it away. To be played with the foot predomintly. If that's wrong then fair enough.

If I expoect too much in a player to make a ten hard pass without looking like bambi on ice skates, then fair enough. It happens, take off the blinkers ffs.

If I expect a player to be able to get a corner past the first man and create an opportunity to score and he doesn't, then fair enough.

If people think barrie mckay has potential, they have lost the plot. He is so far outta the picture with temps not far behind. To me that indicates the pish you will see at ibrox until mccoist is removed. No wingers, hoofed balls. Simples.

So my outlook on football, and all the pish you hear, "oh but we are playing in a pish or harman league, we canny play the beautiful game the way we want to" or "its just we need to get back up as soon as possible"

So I would have taken an extra year out of the league, in order for long term strategy. To play football, which is what wins games. Technical ball skills, and the ability to mix it if when requireed, not every fucking week, playing no-one.

I ask you this, remember playing football as a kid. Now if you were playing a pish team, this is how you felt/played

* brimming with confidence

* cockiness

* try new things

* punish teams

* play football and make it good to watch.

Turn it about, when we play better teams, the prob feel the same. They will play good football cos they expect to win.

My outlook is different from others. Football sorta gives it away. To be played with the foot predomintly. If that's wrong then fair enough.

If I expoect too much in a player to make a ten hard pass without looking like bambi on ice skates, then fair enough. It happens, take off the blinkers ffs.

If I expect a player to be able to get a corner past the first man and create an opportunity to score and he doesn't, then fair enough.

If people think barrie mckay has potential, they have lost the plot. He is so far outta the picture with temps not far behind. To me that indicates the pish you will see at ibrox until mccoist is removed. No wingers, hoofed balls. Simples.

So my outlook on football, and all the pish you hear, "oh but we are playing in a pish or harman league, we canny play the beautiful game the way we want to" or "its just we need to get back up as soon as possible"

So I would have taken an extra year out of the league, in order for long term strategy. To play football, which is what wins games. Technical ball skills, and the ability to mix it if when requireed, not every fucking week, playing no-one.

I ask you this, remember playing football as a kid. Now if you were playing a pish team, this is how you felt/played

* brimming with confidence

* cockiness

* try new things

* punish teams

* play football and make it good to watch.

Turn it about, when we play better teams, the prob feel the same. They will play good football cos they expect to win.

That's a mess of a post. Although I agree that the football needs to improve, you're being too dramatic here.