McCoist: No-one there for me

Brightside

Rangers boss Ally McCoist: My predecessors had Sir David Murray backing them up but there's been no-one there for me

ALLY McCOIST says it's been 'far from ideal' not having a relationship with a chairman during his spell as Rangers manager.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist

SIR DAVID MURRAY was only a phone call away to Ally McCoist’s five predecessors in the Rangers hotseat during his 26 years at the helm.

But McCoist will today start work under his FOURTH chairman in just over two years during the most turbulent spell in Ibrox history.

And the Gers boss admits he longs for the day he can enjoy the type of relationship with a chairman that previous gaffers had with former owner Murray.

From Graeme Souness to Walter Smith, Dick Advocaat, Alex McLeish, Paul Le Guen and finally Smith’s second coming, Murray was there for them all.

He was the constant but now it’s McCoist who has remained in place while a succession of chairmen have come and gone in a period of turmoil.

There was the disastrous reign of disgraced Craig Whyte followed by Malcolm Murray and a short spell with mentor Smith before he quit in protest at those running the club.

Ahead of today’s League One clash with Airdrie United, McCoist will meet new acting chairman David Somers for the first time. And McCoist – also without a chief

executive since Craig Mather’s departure – said: “I haven’t had a relationship with a chairman to be honest.

“I still believe the relationship between a manager and chief executive is the most important at a club.

“But it goes without saying the chairman is also vital, as is his bond with the chief executive and manager.

“I’ve spoken to David Murray on numerous occasions. I have known for years the relationship he had with Walter, Dick and Alex and it would be nice to have a similar relationship.

“David Murray was always there for his managers. They didn’t always agree but he was always there.

“It’s been a real hindrance for me not having that sort of relationship with a chairman for long enough.

“It has certainly not been ideal and a problem shared is one halved and all that. It would be great to have that relationship.”

Whyte claimed to be a Rangers fan growing up while Malcolm Murray is a lifelong supporter and Smith was the boyhood blue who went from the terraces to become one of the club’s greatest managers.

Somers is a yachting enthusiast who may not be a dyed-in-the-wool bluenose but McCoist isn’t bothered providing the chartered accountant can offer what Rangers crave – a chairman to unify the club.

McCoist said: “I don’t mind if he is a fan as long as he is good at the job. He will be given the chance to do the job and I don’t believe you have to be a Rangers fan to be chairman, chief executive or even manager.

“I hope we will be able to work together for the benefit of the club and both of us.

“He seems to have an idea of size of the club and the job and I’ll look to find out his views on moving Rangers forward.”

Yet the new acting chairman, who’s also a non-executive director, could soon become just another statistic with a stormy agm due next month in the battle for power at Ibrox.

Asked about the prospect of Somers helping with new signings in the January window, McCoist said: “At this early stage I don’t know.

“I will be having discussions with the chairman on that and get an idea.

“But I haven’t had a chance to sit down with Brian Stockbridge and see if a new chief executive is coming in because obviously he would be more important in terms of signing players.

“But it’s a start. Having no chairman, no chief executive and just two directors has been far from ideal.

“I will arrange to meet David today before the game. I would hazard a guess the fact David has taken the job means he believes he is not here short term. But it’s my job to work with the chairman and I’m looking forward to meeting him.”

McCoist will then turn his focus to guiding his side to a 16th straight win in all competitions when they take on League One bottom dogs Airdrie.

Rangers were in the wars during their midweek victory over Dunfermline with Andy Little suffering a fractured cheekbone which needs surgery, Richard Foster injuring his ankle and Lee McCulloch requiring stitches to a head knock.

McCulloch was the only one of the crocked trio who finished the game and the Gers boss joked he’s milking his wounded look.

He said: “The big skipper is enjoying the fact he has to wear a bandage and I caught him squinting at it in the mirror this morning!

“So he’ll be fit and ready to lead the troops but I’m not sure what look he will go for.

“The others are struggling a bit. Andy is back in on Monday for the operation. There is good news in that the jaw is okay but the eye socket is bad.

“Richard Foster is struggling and still on crutches. He’s our most versatile player and it’s unlucky he’ll be out for a while.

“We have options in Faure and Peralta but I will not be recalling Kyle McAusland as I like the fact he is out playing regularly.”

Cammy Bell will be between the sticks and McCoist hopes a Scotland call-up isn’t too far away after he was overlooked for the upcoming friendlies against USA and Norway despite Allan McGregor being out injured.

McCoist said: “We are thrilled with Cammy and hopefully he’ll catch Gordon’s eye.

“I won’t tell Gordon who to pick but Cammy would not let anyone down.”

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was D Murray always there for his managers or did he just shut them up by throwing some cash at them whenever they had complaints? Also FAO DD Note what Ally says about not having to be a Rangers man to run the club properly, oh wait this is the Bears Den so DD and his ilk will probably never see this doh

It's the first window we've been allowed to buy in years! I'm gagging for a deadline day move!

Fuck that we need to sell before we can buy and as the only players who would get much cash would be our key men ie Mohsni, Wallace, Macleod, then i certainly dont want us selling them and our squad is so bloated it makes no sense at all to buy more players.