The unacceptable face of Scotland

D'Artagnan

When I first read the OP I was in complete agreement. I still am, especially the last paragraph. I absolutely do not agree with appeasement in any form to these 'plastic paddies'. Initially I felt that we had to have some way of forcing observance of Remembrance Day services, but I have come to realise that this is impractical. When we look at the observance of Remembrance services at Ibrox, the question arises of 'How can you legislate the earnestness of the display of respect and heartfelt gratitude for the Armed Forces and their past sacrifices?' The answer is you can't. These are feelings and emotions that must be given freely and gladly.

That there are an element in some football clubs' support that would attempt to usurp the display of these emotions is more than a little disturbing. However, those who died to give us our freedoms also ensured that our society has a free will. All that we can do is to try to make sure that on all occasions our culture and traditions are given the chance to be observed to the fullest extent possible.

I think that we may have an ally in the making from a most unexpected source. I have reproduced excerpts from two articles out of Ulster over the weekend. There are other instances of this kind of support from the tweets of Martin McGuiness but I have not printed them. This may be because I have a problem believing anything that he says and that I do not believe that he is sincere. On the other hand these two stories, although political, I believe are the start of sincere attempts to heal the wounds of past days. The point is that these are people the 'plastic paddies' would have us believe they support. How foolish are the actions of the 'plastic paddies' when the very 'base' of their support is reaching out to enjoin with our traditions. We can only hope that the bigots who are disrupting our traditions, with Liewell's backing, will just fade away as an insignificance with no support of any real integrity.

http://www.u.tv/News/Remembrance-Sunday-marked-in-NI/c1e82eec-5b0a-43c2-844d-5d45f58e01fb

Taoiseach Enda Kenny was among thousands who took part in commemorative services across Northern Ireland on Remembrance

Sunday.

At 11am those gathered across the UK observed a two-minute's silence in an Act of Remembrance, with poppy wreaths laid in tribute afterwards.

In Enniskillen, Taoiseach Enda Kenny joined NI Secretary of State Theresa Villiers and Fermanagh & South Tyrone DUP Minister

Arlene Foster joined those marking the national day of remembrance in the town.

Twenty-six years ago, 11 people were killed and over 60 were injured in an IRA bomb at the town's War Memorial.

Mr Kenny made history last year by becoming the first Irish premier to attend a Remembrance Day service in Northern Ireland when he visited Enniskillen on the 25th anniversary of the Poppy Day bomb.

In Belfast the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Irish Regiment performed a guard of honour at City Hall's Cenotaph and Garden of

Remembrance where several thousand turned out for the region's main commemoration service took place.

Among those laying wreaths were First Minister Peter Robinson, her Majesty's Lord Lieutenant of Belfast Dame Mary Peters, with

tributes led by Deputy Lord Mayor Alderman Christopher Stalford.

Those who served us protected our freedom, our way of life and secured for us, by their sacrifice, the freedom that we enjoy today.

Deputy Lord Mayor Christopher Stalford

"I think it's right that we should pay our respects to those that serve us and who continue to serve us in ongoing conflicts such as Afghanistan," Alderman Stalford commented.

Also in attendance for the second successive year was Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore TD, who also laid a laurel wreath during the service.

"I think it is very important that we commemorate together, the Irish government regards it as very important," he told UTV.

"Over 200,000 people from all over the island of Ireland were in the First World War, many of them lost their lives, and I think it's important that all of us from all parts of the island, including the Irish government, commemorate those who died in the wars."

http://www.u.tv/News/Silence-for-Armistice-Day-in-NI/ced80f5a-7449-41e4-ba46-aa75e5c83a8

Máirtín Ó Muilleoir has become the first Sinn Féin Lord Mayor of Belfast to attend the Armistice Day commemorations at City Hall.

A two-minute silence was observed at 11am on Monday to mark the end of the First World War - on the eleventh hour, on the

eleventh day, of the eleventh month.

Mr Ó Muilleoir made history as he stood alongside DUP politicians for the tribute.

Afterwards he said he felt the gesture was an important part of his efforts to be a mayor "for all the people of Belfast", as he promised when taking office.

The Sinn Féin man said: "Part of that means reaching out to unionism and today really was about peacemaking towards unionism.

"This is a huge event in the unionist calendar in particular and I wanted to show respect for unionist people and the Protestant people of Belfast by being at the cenotaph on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month."

However he added that the decision had not been easy.

We are NOT so easily taken in!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why do so many people worry so much about what will happen after independence!

After independence . . . worry . . . if you aint worried you should be.

Considering the "fact" that the snp's banned "79 Group" are currently running this country.

To save you Googling it, the 79 Group were a militant faction within the snp with direct links to the IRA. Back then the snp were so opposed to salmond, and his cronies, that they kicked them out of the snp party.

So you can probably see why I'm a bit concerned about these flag burning, fascist bastards who don't give a flying fuck about the military personnel who gave their lives for this country.

After independence . . . worry . . . if you aint worried you should be.

Considering the "fact" that the snp's banned "79 Group" are currently running this country.

To save you Googling it, the 79 Group were a militant faction within the snp with direct links to the IRA. Back then the snp were so opposed to salmond, and his cronies, that they kicked them out of the snp party.

So you can probably see why I'm a bit concerned about these flag burning, fascist bastards who don't give a flying fuck about the military personnel who gave their lives for this country.

Never heard of this faction before thanks for the info.Will do a wee bit of research now. :7325:

Never actually heard of the 79 group until tonight.

Helps if you're a bit of a geezer, like ma'sel

I'm still convinced the snp master plan to get rid of sectarianism was to simply get rid of one of the "old firm"

That may seem a little far fetched but, when you look at the interventions taken by the snp over the last year - trying to save hertz, the failure of government to identify any criminality in the workings of HMRC, the failure of the scottish government to condemn the refusal to recognise Remembrance Day, and a wee a personal favourite of mine which infuriates me beyond belief which is when salmond publicaly backed cardinal keef "he's done a lot of good work for the community" o'brien - the reality is there a loads of examples and taken as a whole it doesn't look to me that the cards are stacked in "our" favour. Don't get me started on the Gaelic direction signs being put up in Edinburgh . . .

It disgusts me more that they refuse to honour even their own who fought and lost their lives. They remain ignorant of even their own history of C*lt*c players and fans joining these World Wars to fight those who were trying to take control of our countries. They live their lives in hatred against those who fought for their freedom as well as ours....They are a disgrace to themselves and as long as their children and children's children are brought up with the same disgraceful values, this will never change.

What makes it worse is by then, they will not even know why...it will be just because "big bad Rangers" supports HM Forces. So so so very stupid and moronic.