The unacceptable face of Scotland

D'Artagnan

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it isn't right at all, no argument with you on that whatsoever. But to answer your original question if there was no way of ensuring the silence could be honoured respectfully it shouldn't go ahead for the reasons I mentioned. And Rangers should make it fully clear beforehand that the reason it isn't going ahead is because the need to honour the dead respectfully comes before everything else, and Rangers couldn't guarrantee that would be the case at that game.

As other posters have said though, heaven and earth would be moved to avoid that fixture taking place then.

You really haven't sussed out how the Scottish media treat Rangers.

4 Premiership grounds (8 clubs) didn't take part, Cowdenbeath are another who didn't and I've heard a few others didn't either although thats not been verified.

I'm annoyed with a few aspects of this, firstly I do believe it should be done across the board but like it or not their is a section of our fans that just want to use this as a stick to beat the tims with, its totally against what Rememberence is all about, I'm proud of how we as a club honoured our fallen, if others don't follow or example thats their perogative.

Classless? Possibly but they're only exorcising the rights our fallen fought for

I'm more usually in claret and blue. Rangers fans will most likely have a different take, but I thought it was polite to answer D'Art's question with my reasons for saying what I did..

And i dont wish to be impolite.But up here you have to fight for what is accepted as normal in othrr regions.Here, we fight a system which supports terrorist loving wanna be irishmen, who live here and bleed us dry, than brits, unionists, protestants.So i am am sorry if i upset you. But your views are weak, nonsensical, non respectful and simply wrong.Respect our troops, never, ever , bow to rhebel scum

No it isn't right at all, no argument with you on that whatsoever. But to answer your original question if there was no way of ensuring the silence could be honoured respectfully it shouldn't go ahead for the reasons I mentioned. And Rangers should make it fully clear beforehand that the reason it isn't going ahead is because the need to honour the dead respectfully comes before everything else, and Rangers couldn't guarrantee that would be the case at that game.

As other posters have said though, heaven and earth would be moved to avoid that fixture taking place then.

I see what you are trying to say about the dignity of the occasion, however, I would say that is a rather myopic stand. Are you honestly asking for our culture to be suspended because of the threat of a few dissidents? Should the Royals not do walkabouts in case they are 'egged', should a politician not make a speech in case he is heckled? Where does it stop? Maybe we should ask Chamberlain that question.

And i dont wish to be impolite.But up here you have to fight for what is accepted as normal in othrr regions.Here, we fight a system which supports terrorist loving wanna be irishmen, who live here and bleed us dry, than brits, unionists, protestants.So i am am sorry if i upset you. But your views are weak, nonsensical, non respectful and simply wrong.Respect our troops, never, ever , bow to rhebel scum

You haven't upset me at all, we're all entitled to our points of view. I fully respect our armed forces, and have family background in the forces like many other posters here. We can disagree on some stuff but not about that.

I see what you are trying to say about the dignity of the occasion, however, I would say that is a rather myopic stand. Are you honestly asking for our culture to be suspended because of the threat of a few dissidents? Should the Royals not do walkabouts in case they are 'egged', should a politician not make a speech in case he is heckled? Where does it stop? Maybe we should ask Chamberlain that question.

Or maybe we shouldnt ask incase it offends someone.Fucking embarrassing apologist ruined society

You haven't upset me at all, we're all entitled to our points of view. I fully respect our armed forces, and have family background in the forces like many other posters here. We can disagree on some stuff but not about that.

Then do not ever give an inch to those who wish to deny, repel, alienate or simply fuck over our service men and women.To not celebrate our heroes, and mourn those who sacrificed their lives, for fear of dissenters is utter utter pish.Brits respect brits. Dissenters fuck off and live and die some place else.

Ive tweeted that we should all send Ross County a reminder next season. :thumbup:

Hi,D'Art

My first reaction was that the SFA should legislate that it will be reqired by ALL CLUBS to hold a minute of silence in respect of remembrance day at their ground on the specified day.I then realised that might be a bit ironic considering we are supposed to be showing respect to the very people who fought for freedom of choice,plus the fact that the SFA would never upset a certain CEO of a certain club,so I scrapped that idea.

I then came up with my own solution to register my disgust at the clubs who decided not to hold the ritual at their ground.I am sending from Australia by registered mail a poppy to each CEO/chairman of Ross County, St.Johnstone, Hibernian (although their shirts had a poppy on them) and Partick Thistle to remind them not to forget in the future.

This is not me trying to gain the moral high ground or be faux offended because of the scum; it's because any person with an ounce of decency in their body will give up one minute of their day each year to remember the men,women and children (yes there were little kids also) who fought and died to give the civilised world freedom from tyrrany.

When it comes the time where our team will have to play at the home of the clubs mentioned, I personally think that it would be a good idea that every Rangers fan should wear a poppy that day to show these disrespectful bastards that although they "forgot" to honour the fallen, we will always remember them.

Perhaps as a further jog to their forgetfulness, we could make up a banner (we have supporters who seem pretty good at that sort of stuff) that says; "You Might Have Forgotten ~ We Will Never Forget"

In discussions with a Celtic fan I know, we agreed to disagree. I raised the issue of Celtic's reluctance to embrace Remembrance commemorations (he always wears a poppy and is an auxiliary member of the Royal Canadian Legion) and he pointed out that when British soldiers were dying in Afghanistan and Iraq, our club was evading paying taxes which might have properly equipped them. As I said, agree to disagree.

Dirty fucking beast.

Pretty shameful that clubs wouldn't hold a silence, the excuse is also poor.

I don't get why people don't respect it and get political, it's to respect the fallen in the tragedy that is war.

One of my good mates, biggest tim you could meet, fought in the forces until he was shot on duty in Iraq. He and his wife were at the parades yesterday, showing their respects and watching their cousin march also.

Why can't people just be that way and see the bigger picture when it comes to Rememberance Day?

To be fair, everyone seems to be focusing there attention on the unwashed, they've been ignoring it for years. As disgusting as it is, we expect it when it comes to them.

However...

I want to know why, St Johnstone, Patrick and Hibs all left it out! Surely they all couldn't have "forgot"?

Why can't people just be that way and see the bigger picture when it comes to Rememberance Day?

agree 100%

it's not much to ask is it.

The difference between Ibrox Park and the likes of Victoria Park on Remembrance Day is a stark reminder of the seemingly ever widening gulf in values held by citizens in modern day Scotland

Good article once again D'art.

I find this particularly abhorrent in that when I was serving, there were celtic supporters serving as well. They remembered the fallen along with the rest of us.

The reason (in my opinion of course) for the lack of the minutes silence has more to do with "getting at us" than it does anything else. Like you said, tribalism in full effect. Any past, current or future serving member of any of the Armed Forces that supports "them" should take this up directly with the club.

Let the club show the respect for the country that it resides in.

Good read D'Art.

Yesterday was the day that the country as a whole remembered on those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Today at 1100hrs I will stop what I'm doing for the 2mins.

Which begs the question does your work place acknowledge or do they carry on as normal?

On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month the guns fell silent.

Lest we Forget

this whole country is fucked I watched the remembrance service in London on tv. countrys from all over the world were there the only people from Scotland were the Scottish branch of the british legion no one from the Scottish government were there that I could see and I also think the sfa should tell every club in Scotland that a minutes silence should be held and if not observed then the club will be fined and any proceeds will go to poppy appeal

The people from the Scottish governments were at the parades / ceremonies in both Glasgow and Edinburgh - most of Scotland showed the respect due - some shity football teams 'forgot' the silence the day before - that is to their shame - but to tar everyone with the same brush is also wrong.

I`m not so sure I want to come back to the country of my birth after I finish my career with the British Forces, especially if it gets its` independance. Sad times, indeed.

Unfortunately I did mate.

And it was the biggest mistake I ever made.

Scotland is an utter toilet now.

Unfortunately I did mate.

And it was the biggest mistake I ever made.

Scotland is an utter toilet now.

Best decision I ever made after leaving HMF was to move away and over here, never regretted it (except for the lack of curry take aways and having to stream games instead of going to them).

The following is from Ross County Official Site:

Ross County Football Club would like to sincerely apologise for the lack of a minute's silence at their match on Saturday the 9th of November ahead of Remembrance Sunday.

As a Club we are both honoured and humbled by the sacrifice of the men and women who have given of themselves for the benefit of others in times of war and conflict, particularly throughout the past 99 years and even more so as we approach the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War.

The lack of a minute's silence was not an operational or policy decision but an error of omission arising from a failure to address changes in staff responsibilities, and the matter is being dealt with internally.

The Club will continue in its policy of marking the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month with a 2 minute silence as well supporting the Poppy Appeal by allocating Matchday Collections at the Stadium to support their work in assisting veterans and will of course ensure measures are taken to avoid any possible repetition of our error on Saturday the 9th.

That is just utterly SHAMEFUL.