The unacceptable face of Scotland

D'Artagnan

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An excerpt from Hibs statement on why they didn't hold a minutes silence.

"In previous years, Poppy Scotland and the Scottish Premier League ran a number of joint initiatives to increase awareness of Poppy Scotland's campaign. 

The Scottish Professional Football League is not part of that campaign and did not call for a minute's silence at matches this week end."

Surely questions should be asked as to why the SPFL no longer support Poppy Scotland's campaign when they already had done for years. What's changed?

Also, I've seen a lot of fans of other clubs asking what the relevance of a minutes silence at a football game has considering it's the day before Remembrance Sunday. What I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is the hugely symbolic gesture of the ceasefire on the run up to Christmas between British and German troops, which led to games of football between our countries. It shows that amongst the death there is humanity, and that we are all people, regardless of which side we fight for. For me, the fact that soldiers fighting a war against each other can put their guns down and enjoy a game of football together speaks volumes, not only for humanity, but for the sport. Football knows no bounds, it's a game for everyone and a mass gathering of people at football games gives us a chance to remember those who died on a grand scale.

If people don't want to observe the minutes silence, that is absolutely fine. It's their right and they are free to exercise that right, however it's morally questionable to say the least. For someone to go out of their way to not observe the silence, says a lot about them as a person. The fact some choose not to remember those who fought for them to have the rights to do this.

I served in the Army and I'm only young, but I'm immensely proud of my achievements, my brothers that I served along side and those who served before us. I'm also immensely proud that Rangers make so much effort to show their respects as they know it's the right thing to do, regardless of what some people will claim.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender. - Winston Churchill

Heard a rumour that wigans James Mclean was dropped at weekend as he refused to wear a strip with a poppy on it.

Scum behaviour from him if true, just like the lowlife across the city who refuse to acknowledge and display the poppy.

Disgusting.

Was told that last night and apparently did the same when he was at Sunderland if true at least Wigan reacted in the proper manner. He had already showed his true colours by opting to play for the Republic of Ireland and not Northern Ireland.

Was told that last night and apparently did the same when he was at Sunderland if true at least Wigan reacted in the proper manner. He had already showed his true colours by opting to play for the Republic of Ireland and not Northern Ireland.

He had a dead leg, that's from the manager. He said there's nothing more to it. He did indeed refuse to wear it while at Sunderland though!

Owen coyle says it was nothing to do with the poppy.Ach well, got to believe owen eh?

Please dont insult me Bothwell - I rarely ever write about them or their support..perhaps twice in 12 years and hundreds of blogs.

This is about that mob behaviour impacting on others - and preventing them from showing their respect.

Can I ask all those who think it was correct to dispense with the ceremony - if in a couple of years time Remembrance Day falls on the weekend of an Old Firm Derby at Ibrox - should we dispense with it ?

NO! I would ban them from our hallowed ground before I would give up on a remembrance day, these idiots are that sad that they cant even do a minutes silence for all of their own fans who died bravely for all of us in these wars.

Good one from Ross county.

They will make sure it is held next year. Aye next year, when they will hopefully not be playing THEM.

A convenient oversight no doubt.

RC in more than their name methinks.

I'm disappointed in them.

Just off the phone to Ross County .Got to speak to club spokesman Ramond .Got to say what he had to say was very sincere .He swore on his wife's and children's lives it was a genuine club oversight .Thats good enough for me .I told him how it looked regarding the opposition and he was adamant but very very apologetic to me and every other person that's phoned before me ..I have to say I think it was very big of him to take the expected but deserved flack .He promised me next year would be different .Overall I'm glad I phoned him .

Just off the phone to Ross County .Got to speak to club spokesman Ramond .Got to say what he had to say was very sincere .He swore on his wife's and children's lives it was a genuine club oversight .Thats good enough for me .I told him how it looked regarding the opposition and he was adamant but very very apologetic to me and every other person that's phoned before me ..I have to say I think it was very big of him to take the expected but deserved flack .He promised me next year would be different .Overall I'm glad I phoned him .

Sorry eejay but how could a whole club possibly "forget" ? Half the nation are walking around with poppies in their lapels, you cant go to the shops without seeing poppy sellers, its been on the TV in various formats night after night. Notwithstanding that the Police match commander would have flagged up potential trouble at the ceremony with club security.

Sorry eejay but how could a whole club possibly "forget" ? Half the nation are walking around with poppies in their lapels, you cant go to the shops without seeing poppy sellers, its been on the TV in various formats night after night. Notwithstanding that the Police match commander would have flagged up potential trouble at the ceremony with club security.

Totaly agree Dart and that was my argument and reason for calling him ..I would love to say he sounded like a beggar sympathiser but he came across as an honest guy even although from everyone's position on here it probably sounds like bullshit .

Maybe he is under that much pressure today it was the only line he was told to take .Swearing on you kids life would be very extreme though .

Totaly agree Dart and that was my argument and reason for calling him ..I would love to say he sounded like a beggar sympathiser but he came across as an honest guy even although from everyone's position on here it probably sounds like bullshit .

I'm sure he's a fairly decent bloke ~ the truth is, his club have put him in a pretty awkward position. He has to try and spin what is really an indefensible situation. A thankless task.

Kudos to you anyway for phoning him (tu)

Dart I did get ripped into him although not abusive .I feel just as angry as every other Bear .Its totally pissed me off that these clubs are getting off lightly from beggar media .Also discussed fact that New Spl have no charter for doing the minutes silence nationally .He said this would definitely be up for discussion after this weekends embarressment .I wanted to give him harder time but I couldn't .Jesus he could have told be to piss off or hang up .Can understand your anger and passion though Dart .

Dart I did get ripped into him although not abusive .I feel just as angry as every other near .Its totally pissed me off that these clubs are getting off lightly from beggar media .Also discussed fact that New Spl have no charter for doing the minutes silence nationally .He said this would definitely be up for discussion after this weekends embarressment .I wanted to give him harder time but I couldn't .Jesus he could have told be to piss off or hang up .Can understand your anger and passion though Dart .

Im sure you did bud - I have difficulty believing their excuse however - for the reasons outlined.

My neighbour used to work as a steward at the Fakirk stadium 2-3 years ago.

Ra Sellick played Falkirk that weekend and most of ra Sellick supporters stood outside the stadium to not only boycott the minutes silence but to engage in singing republican ditties. Unbelievable but true!

An excerpt from Hibs statement on why they didn't hold a minutes silence.

"In previous years, Poppy Scotland and the Scottish Premier League ran a number of joint initiatives to increase awareness of Poppy Scotland's campaign. 

The Scottish Professional Football League is not part of that campaign and did not call for a minute's silence at matches this week end."

Surely questions should be asked as to why the SPFL no longer support Poppy Scotland's campaign when they already had done for years. What's changed?

Surely it shouldn't matter whether the SPFL openly support the Poppy campaign.

It's morally wrong to ignore a traditional spanning back nearly 100 years to show respect to our fallen soldiers. Surely taking one miserly minute out of their lives isn't much to ask?

I for one am not raging at Ross County alone, I'm also raging at all other teams who blanked such a monumental occasion.

To say that the SPFL didn't call for a minutes silence quite frankly isn't a good enough reason not to have one. I am astounded that these clubs think that's an acceptable excuse.

Lest we forget

I remember complaining at my local post office about a parcel not being delivered to my home. The 'lady' behind the desk swore to me on her child's life that she'd personally knocked on my door and rang my bell for at least five minutes before finally putting the card through my door. The thing is myself and my whole family were sitting in the living room and we'd watched her walk straight up to the door, put the card through and walk away. Maybe neither she nor the Ross County guy actually have kids so it becomes an easy bit of bullshit. Either that or at least she was a total sicko.

It shows the mentality of some people in this country that they can't stand in silence as a mark of respect for ONE MINUTE.

Thousands of Irish Catholics died fighting during both world wars for the King so I don't understand that aspect of it.

The other thing is this; there are more Irish catholics in Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham than Scotland, they came for the same reasons and stayed for the same reasons but they all support teams who wore the poppy over the weekend and ALL observed a minutes silence, my dad was from the North West and was die hard Man Utd fan and had loads of catholic mates he went to games with so why are they all such arseholes up here?

I would suggest it's the fact they choose to separate themselves from the age of 5 but I'd probably end up with a police caution so I won't.