*** Official 2013/4 Winter Ashes Thread ***

Creampuff

Australia this morning announced their squad for the First Test. No real surprises to anyone watching their one day series, but two compelling players to see how they get on.

Chris Rogers

David Warner

Shane Watson

Michael Clarke ©

Steve Smith

George Bailey (Or James Faulkner)

Brad Haddin (wk)

Mitchell Johnson

Peter Siddle

Ryan Harris

Nathan Lyon

I'm presuming that Bailey will play the first test ahead of Faulkner. However, Watson is carrying an injury and the suggestions being made is that he may not bowl. If that's the case then perhaps Faulkner will be picked to provide the fourth seamer.

England seem to be struggling a little with a lack of preparation, and injury worries over KP and Matt Prior. Big suggestions that Bairstow will start the first test behind the stumps.

Nathan Lyon takes a couple of quick wickets with Pup watching in the stand. I'd imagine that would be enough to put to bed the suggestions that Clarke will play with four seamers in the first test.

He may have been more tempted had Pattinson or Starc been fit, but I don't see Faulkner being picked ahead of Lyon as a bowler; regardless of what he brings with the bat.