*** Official 2013/4 Winter Ashes Thread ***

Creampuff

For me the organisers have been clever from Cricket Australia.

England have only won one test ever between Brisbane and Perth, and they'll make up two of the opening three tests. That means when they go to places like Melbourne and Sydney - where home sides traditionally don't have much of an advantage - they could already be all but down and out.

I don't think Prior's recovery is going as well as England are trying to make out.

From what I can tell he hasn't taken part in any sort of keeping practice, and Bairstow is still doing sessions with Swann, Anderson and Cook.

I would be surprised if Prior plays in the opener.

This will be a hell of a lot closer than the home series. It's a whole different kettle of fish playing down there- the kookaburra ball will not swing and seam anywhere near as much as the dukes one does in England, so some ingenuity will be required from our bowlers between about the 20th over and the taking of the new ball. If we're lucky, maybe a bit of reverse swing around the 35 over mark, but all in all it'll be a tough slog for them.

Shane Watson declares himself fit to bat and bowl in the first test, but admits he won't be at full capacity.

I wonder if Clarke would elect to bat first if he won the toss to give him another day or so before he has to bowl.

Suggestions on ths radio this morning that they're going to leave the grass on the strip and choose to bowl first, believing that it will give them a better chance of winning than playing on a flat pitch.

If Clarke wins the toss, who does he give the first ball to?

I'm assuming that Cook gives his to Anderson, given that he's Jimmy Anderson.

But Clarke will have three - fairly equal - seamers. He usually gives the new ball to Harris, but Mitch will be used to getting it every time he plays because he can bowl well fast, innit? But can you really trust Mitchell Johnson to bowl the delivery that has so often set the tone for the full series? What if he pulls a Harmy and tries to kill second slip?!

The current gap meant that it was always in Australia directly before a Cricket World Cup. They're moving this one forward to change that then continuing with the old gaps.

you sure? i thought last year we were meant to play at home but was held over a year cause of olympics

Less than hour until first ball.. Still no announcement on who's behind the stumps for England.

It's probably legit a close decision, but I refuse to believe that it wasn't taken this morning at the latest. If Cook knew he was batting first I reckon they'd go for Prior, but I'm not convinced he's fit. They may go Bairstow to avoid risking losing Prior for the rest of the tour.