*** Official 2013/4 Winter Ashes Thread ***

Creampuff

Less than hour until first ball.. Still no announcement on who's behind the stumps for England.

It's probably legit a close decision, but I refuse to believe that it wasn't taken this morning at the latest. If Cook knew he was batting first I reckon they'd go for Prior, but I'm not convinced he's fit. They may go Bairstow to avoid risking losing Prior for the rest of the tour.

What about moving trott up the order

surprised at this I expected Watson and Rogers to open warner at 3.

They may very well still do that, but they may prefer to keep ol' LB Watson in the shack until Warner has smashed the ball into dust.

I don't think their order really matters to be honest, Watson's probably a more steady player, and so is probably better for this Australia team at three.

On paper it's a 5-0 England win. That Aussie line-up in comparison, imo, is so much weaker.

This Test is a bit of a no win for Australia. Historically this is their fortress. If they lose it I can see all their confidence going, a win isn't unexpected and this England side have risen to comebacks before.

Can see this being a batting draw. Swann is on the wane and Lyon just isn't good enough at this level. Series will be a battle of the seamers and I can see Broad having a significant impact, if he stays injury free. Wouldn't be surprised if he was man of the series.

Anyway getting ahead of myself. First hour will be intriguing.

Australia bat. Suits England I think.

On paper it's a 5-0 England win. That Aussie line-up in comparison, imo, is so much weaker.

This Test is a bit of a no win for Australia. Historically this is their fortress. If they lose it I can see all their confidence going, a win isn't unexpected and this England side have risen to comebacks before.

Can see this being a batting draw. Swann is on the wane and Lyon just isn't good enough at this level. Series will be a battle of the seamers and I can see Broad having a significant impact, if he stays injury free. Wouldn't be surprised if he was man of the series.

Anyway getting ahead of myself. First hour will be intriguing.

Australia bat. Suits England I think.

No chance will it be 5-0.. I predict a 3-2 win either way.

Will be interesting if Prior collapses in the field. Presuming the 12th man is Bairstow, will Clarke let him be the wicketkeeper?

He's be within his rights to refuse.

Pretty sure sub fielder can't be WK. Would be like sub fielder bowling.

Prob Bell if Prior breaks down. Big risk but with a calf strain another week or so rest wouldn't do much. Could go at any time.

Really? Sub fielders can bowl if captains agree? :P

Moot point then. Clarke wouldn't agree nor would anyone expect him too. England have taken a risk.

Captains can give discretion to let subs bat, bowl, wk or even take over as captain! :lol:.

In an Ashes series many moons ago, an Aussie batsman was dismissed and then joined England in the field!