responsilities of our 'coaching staff'

bluesbro1976

Pretty much spot on. Watch an English game outwith the top 6 and then watch a la liga game. The difference in technical ability is frightening. Its a problem far more widespread than just Rangers but McCoist is to blame.

Who in this thread even mentioned McCoist?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who in this thread even mentioned McCoist?

There was me thinking that in the absence of a director of football (or pretty much any other director for that matter) that the responsibilities of our coaching staff (believe it or not that's the title of the thread you've replied to) were determined by the cluds manager, a certain Ally McCoist.

Those blaming Ally with our coaching abilities are not seeing the bigger picture. Ally was one of those coaches under Walter Smith and he too was caught on many a camera messing around, having a laugh and doing very little technical work with players. This issue goes back further than Ally or even Walter, as some have said.

I have said many times before - and been moaned at for it - that the coaches should be taking a session with the lads, to improve scenario thinking, developing passing techniques and instilling a general ethos in the formation set by the manager. These should be done in conjunction with the sessions with the fitness coach. Light fitness should be followed by bounce games under coach control and heavier fitness sessions should be followed by formation ethos and team building. These sessions would of course keep players longer at the training ground but they are paid as full-time players.

I believe GOAT is correct in that PLG tried to change our sessions to match continental sessions but with the group of players we had then, it was never going to work. The Ferguson's of this World were never going to change easily.

If we had brought in a PLG last season, then it could have worked. The youth would have looked at it as a challenge, rather a hindrance and the Lee McCulloch's of this World would have rolled up his sleeve and did whatever his gaffer wanted. The manager could then have brought in his player of choice who would compliment that system and we would have been some force in 2015.

It's still not too late for the above scenario to happen but we need the majority of fans to back the plan, as long as the board. It would not just be the manager who would need to change, though, it would need to be wider spread, with full-time coaches who know what gloves are rather than pockets.

I would cherish a change in that direction but I am not pushing for Ally's head for the sake of it. I would only push for that scenario if it meant the right direction was met and not just an exercise to replace the manager.

Certainly an issue throughout Britain. Little technical training, lots of fitness. I wouldn't claim to know what our training is like because like 99% in here, I've never seen us train. However I doubt we are particularly advanced in our methods unfortunately

You see this is my point. I want to develop a way of football while we have a chance at it, cos sure as hell when we get back to the top, it will be battleships with the bheggars and we take what we get. I said it last season and say it now. We need to develop a footballing ethos. For example, I think it is brondby or sumin, there managers are chosen around the club constitution that football is entertainment and that the football they play must be of high quality football. Is stale stensaas not there? He is highly regarded as one of the best coaches inscandanavia£

I have first hand experience of training at ibrox back 1986 to 1990-91. Training in pissing rain in the albion pitches. Ewan chester , head of youth football and wee john chalmers (rest his soul) were the coaches. They done ok, not brilliant but ok. Could have been a lot better. But the facilities at murray park are excellent and we should be 'developing' more youth players and implementing a style of football on them from a young age. No tic taca football. Just pass and move, lift the head up , play passes to feet and move. We are far too static.

Something has to change lads. We are pissing into the wind, and I think we should defo be looking for foreign 'coaches' at least to impress their views of the game on the young ones. After the ball has started rolling, our coaches and mindset will follow.

You see this is my point. I want to develop a way of football while we have a chance at it, cos sure as hell when we get back to the top, it will be battleships with the bheggars and we take what we get. I said it last season and say it now. We need to develop a footballing ethos. For example, I think it is brondby or sumin, there managers are chosen around the club constitution that football is entertainment and that the football they play must be of high quality football. Is stale stensaas not there? He is highly regarded as one of the best coaches inscandanavia£

I have first hand experience of training at ibrox back 1986 to 1990-91. Training in pissing rain in the albion pitches. Ewan chester , head of youth football and wee john chalmers (rest his soul) were the coaches. They done ok, not brilliant but ok. Could have been a lot better. But the facilities at murray park are excellent and we should be 'developing' more youth players and implementing a style of football on them from a young age. No tic taca football. Just pass and move, lift the head up , play passes to feet and move. We are far too static.

Something has to change lads. We are pissing into the wind, and I think we should defo be looking for foreign 'coaches' at least to impress their views of the game on the young ones. After the ball has started rolling, our coaches and mindset will follow.

Can't argue with that at all. Don't think it even has to be 'foreign' coaches though. Some of them are just as bad. Just need people with open minds and new ideas. Unfortunately, all of this requires stability at the club. There isn't a hope in hell's chance of it happening while we are in the state we are in

I watched Sunderland at the weekend and was amazed at the style of play the manager has them playing. Gus Poyet has only been in the job for a short time but the passing ability was that of a Champions League side - with direction and patience.

I did not see much of his players at Brighton but the commentator was making it clear that this was Poyet's style and he would be mortified if players started punting balls from defence, etc.

My point is, if Poyet can do it with Brighton and then change Sunderland around in a matter of weeks, why is it so hard for Scottish teams? He obviously sat them in a room, showed them some videos and discussed his methodology, before taking them to the training ground and stopping every move in a bounce game that he did not like. Stop/start until the players cannot take anymore and they will start doing it right.

It may show it clearly in your imagination but there's far too much guesswork for it to be taken seriously.

To be fair, it is not just his imagination though, is it? The quality players that we could develop and sell for millions, just have not materialised.

It may show it clearly in your imagination but there's far too much guesswork for it to be taken seriously.

Listen alky, your poor attempts at sarcasm dont hide the fact your full of pish and have no clue what your talking about. Proof of where we have acheived acceptable quality in the last 5 years or shut the fuck up.

Listen alky, your poor attempts at sarcasm dont hide the fact your full of pish and have no clue what your talking about. Proof of where we have acheived acceptable quality in the last 5 years or shut the fuck up.

Yeah.....my point is that none of us knows what goes on behind closed doors at Murray Park.

Yeah.....my point is that none of us knows what goes on behind closed doors at Murray Park.

That is a rather futile point. What we have a fair idea about, and I say this as a fan of Ally, is that the ball techniques of players in this country are not as good as other places. The use of the ball is key to our deficiencies, in my opinion, and we still haven't begun to address that it would appear.

Maybe there needs to be a change in the way coaches from youth level upwards are trained so that young players can play better football when they reach the top levels and therefor are better trained?

Would be good to see a Rangers training session and see what they do, if anything it would be a good experience to witness.

grass roots coaching is improving down here don't know about Scotland. the fa have pumped in a load of cash think its around the £5 million mark to have more coaches and more time with the players. it will take a few years to see any good results as they have to develop as youngsters first and then as players. one problem area is those kids who are at the so called soccer schools and signed for clubs are in a no win situation grass roots are telling them one thing and the clubs another. it all needs to be married up or its bound to fail. I don't think the kids are going to learn much after the age of 15/16 as they should have developed most of the skills but they do need to work hard on them to improve what they have learned. and for me that means keeping the players in the training ground and working in small groups with the ball at there feet working to improve the basics like control and passing 2/3 touches work learn how to make the ball do the work. with the coaches there to develop those skills. they also need to learn the mentality of a footballer is not a big pay day and running down to nandos or buying flash cars. only then will they start to improve.

Well wilbeary I can't comment on the older teams but my grandson has just been released as a trialist from the under 11's youth academy team. To be honest I was disappointed with their coaching and training (or lack of it.) They just appeared to be going through the motions. On the other hand he was also attending the Elete courses at Murray Park at the same time and I advised him to stay on them as they are far superior with 1.5 hours of intense coaching and training.

The game here is based on the player, and not so much on the ball. In other parts of the world the focus is on using the ball on the park. A player here will do much of the work that the ball is meant to do: he will run with the ball a bit more and not release a pass till later etc. A world-class team will use the ball a lot more and focus on the shape of the team. A surprise to me is that we still haven't addressed that issue. When Le Guen was here I think it was the first time I saw emphasis being placed on shape, particularly in European matches; I always remember the passing of our defenders in one European match being something I hadn't seen before. I personally think that had Le Guen been given time he would have got it right. The problem is that at Rangers we cannot countenance defeat for very long, especially in a two-team league, and that might have had to have happened for him to get it right, eventually.

I work with a guy who knows a boy who works with the SFA youth development. A big bluenose who lost his job and got it back after the Dallas email stuff.

Anyway he goes to all Scottish grounds as part of his job and says MP is amongst the worst he's seen. Finished a lot by mid morning and prehistoric training basically playing a lot if 5 a sides and running. That Oz boy McKay slagged it and fell out of favour. I've no doubt our training is poor.