Quintessential British club - in an independent Scotland?

Paul Ignotus

Prompted by the Remembrance thread. Ok, so far the polls say it's not going to happen, but if it did, what would be the effect on Rangers? Ten, twenty, thirty years down the line would Rangers still have the same identity, given there'll be new supporters coming along who will have grown up in an independent Scotland, and being part of the UK will just be something the old folks talk about. Would the British identity survive independence or would it change into something else? Can't think of any parallels that come to mind to help on this.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prompted by the Remembrance thread. Ok, so far the polls say it's not going to happen, but if it did, what would be the effect on Rangers? Ten, twenty, thirty years down the line would Rangers still have the same identity, given there'll be new supporters coming along who will have grown up in an independent Scotland, and being part of the UK will just be something the old folks talk about. Would the British identity survive independence or would it change into something else? Can't think of any parallels that come to mind to help on this.

Or perhaps we would just love the club for what it is with no add ons!

Silly question perhaps but would the Queen still be the queen of Scotland as she is now?

Would we not just be part of the commonwealth but still independant?

Bit cheeky of Salmond to host the commonwealth games, fill the bheasts pockets with the regeneration of that shitehole and then fuck off

Independace,pffff what a cheeky wee fat bastard

Biting the hand that made this country what it is today, a unionised Island that is the UK

We benefit from them like they benefit from us

I'd imagine the Union Jack would still fly high just like they fly the tri colour in support for our Jon

DEFINE ME ADD ON I cannot see it been an issue take that famous British Empire club 1888 founded in Scotland, has always been based in Scotland, became an irish club when a state across the sea became a nation in its own right, adopted/stole their flag 1922, became the first British club to win the European cup 1967 ( never having stopped harping on about it since) and now their main man runs the corrupt cabal. Based on that independence would not be an issue we would just develop identity and multiple personalities like the bheasts from the east

I don't think it will happen, so hopefully it's all speculation.

Very scary though. If Scotland came close to independence, especially if a minority of the populace voting swayed the vote, then I believe the tension between "nationalists" and unionists would lead to trouble and potential violence and conflict. And then we could be in a Northern Ireland situation.

And I also think Northern Ireland itself could suffer from the fall-out within the United Kingdom politically if Scotland became independent or more devolved. (And our fucking government are aware of this, but choosing to ignore)

As the traditions of Rangers are Unionist and loyalist it could cause many problems.

My own loyalties would still remain to my home, Glasgow, Scotland and the United Kingdom, and to my football club, regardless of Scottish independence.

I don't think it will happen, so hopefully it's all speculation.

Very scary though. If Scotland came close to independence, especially if a minority of the populace voting swayed the vote, then I believe the tension between "nationalists" and unionists would lead to trouble and potential violence and conflict. And then we could be in a Northern Ireland situation.

And I also think Northern Ireland itself could suffer from the fall-out within the United Kingdom politically if Scotland became independent or more devolved. (And our fucking government are aware of this, but choosing to ignore)

As the traditions of Rangers are Unionist and loyalist it could cause many problems.

My own loyalties would still remain to my home, Glasgow, Scotland and the United Kingdom, and to my football club, regardless of Scottish independence.

Good points. It is just speculation as you say, but I have two Scottish mates, one a Killie fan and one Rangers fan, and they say when they go back home they're really not sure which way it could go (and they're both firmly in the 'no' camp). If ithere was independence I'd hope there may be a way to get Rangers down south, but I think there may already have been a thread or two about that,,,