Mr Struth's comments about International 'weeks'

delamonty

Given that there is a wee bit of a debate about should we play or not? I will simply paraphrase -- somewhwat -- from the brillient book "Mr. Struth - The Boss"

---------------------------------

When Rangers won the league with a 3-0 win vs Clyde, they had several youngsters in the side. Many of the 'regulars' had international committments and Struth could have requested a postponement... but he considered Rangers' strength in depth was sufficient and well up to the task.

It was not the first occasion that season that international commitments could have derailed the Rangers challenge.

When celtc came to Ibrox on 26 October 1928, Rangers were missing seven first team regulars -- 4 on international duty. Struth did not request a postponement -- as he could have. The Rangers played -- and won. 1-0.

----------------------------------

Struth was in all lilkelihood the first sports psychologist.... and gaining victories from a 'weaker' position helped his teams grow. He loved to be the 'underdog'.

If you have not done so already -- buy the book.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes a mockery of the current situation indeed. Little out with an injury, peralta away and wallace away. Ooooh big deal. Get the fucking game played mccoist. Saving face. ' I but I want to keep my 100 percent record' blah de fucking blah. We are rangers 'seper rangers' so why bottle it?

Mr struth turns in grave yet again

Look, we don't have a full squad to choose from, so McCoist was right to postpone it.

You can't even compare the situations either. McCoist is managing in the lower leagues, Struth was the manager of arguably the biggest club in Britain and one of the top clubs in world football at the time.

If strength in depth is the buzzword then why were we all bleating about playing so many games in a short spell around the UEFA cup final? I also take it there would be no problem if we had a Europa League tie on a thursday followed by a league game on a saturday. I mean, our squad shoul dbe strong enough for any domestic challenge.

Exactly goat. We are playing against no-one ... Struth as a manager knew he coiuld galvanise the team to go out and get some sort of result, playing in the top league against his biggest rivals. We postpone for this.

Peralta been pish.

Little should be sent back to NI on the long boat

Wallace is our only "real missing player" if players can't step in and play, why have them on a spiralling wage bill. Time to offload?

Exactly goat. We are playing against no-one ... Struth as a manager knew he coiuld galvanise the team to go out and get some sort of result, playing in the top league against his biggest rivals. We postpone for this.

Peralta been pish.

Little should be sent back to NI on the long boat

Wallace is our only "real missing player" if players can't step in and play, why have them on a spiralling wage bill. Time to offload?

We greet when little gets played out of position then when he gets to play at CF he 'should be sent back to NI'

I guess Macleod doesn't count either? Or Fraser Aird?

Makes a mockery of the current situation indeed. Little out with an injury, peralta away and wallace away. Ooooh big deal. Get the fucking game played mccoist. Saving face. ' I but I want to keep my 100 percent record' blah de fucking blah. We are rangers 'seper rangers' so why bottle it?

Mr struth turns in grave yet again

Mockery? Seriously?Ally is simply doing what is pernitted, and more importantly right for his and our team.The mockery would come if he didnt do this and we lost. Its one thing to say we're Rangers and we should pump out of sight all these wee teams. But the reality is its not always easy and defeat isnt unthinkable.And i say this as one who is firmly in the Ally nay camp.

Ffs fraser bloody aird. Oh aye he has been a breathe of fresh air. Seriously? I will give you macleod, but have a think abt aird. Come on dude. You are seriously grasping at straws here. He is not a firsdt team regular for starters, added to that what impact has he made this season? In all honesty?

If strength in depth is the buzzword then why were we all bleating about playing so many games in a short spell around the UEFA cup final? I also take it there would be no problem if we had a Europa League tie on a thursday followed by a league game on a saturday. I mean, our squad shoul dbe strong enough for any domestic challenge.

:lol: as per usual, in this argument, many completely disregard the level we are playing at and the massive disparity between ourselves and our opponents! Your particular comparison is laughable as there are so many factors that you fail to apply to your argument!

We greet when little gets played out of position then when he gets to play at CF he 'should be sent back to NI'

I guess Macleod doesn't count either? Or Fraser Aird?

Or any last minute additional call ups which cant be foreseen at the time the decision is made.

Ffs fraser bloody aird. Oh aye he has been a breathe of fresh air. Seriously? I will give you macleod, but have a think abt aird. Come on dude. You are seriously grasping at straws here. He is not a firsdt team regular for starters, added to that what impact has he made this season? In all honesty?

Wouldn't Aird be exactly the type of player we would utilise to fill the gaps by those away on international duty?

:lol: as per usual, in this argument, many completely disregard the level we are playing at and the massive disparity between ourselves and our opponents! Your particular comparison is laughable as there are so many factors that you fail to apply to your argument!

I'd argue those who think we simply need to show up to win games disregard the level we are playing at much more than those who see why the game was postponed.

Which factors have I failed to apply to my argument?

Would it be really so bad if we got a draw out of the game? Simple fact is, we can't use players like aird etc as they seem incapable of filling the voids that those on international duty would leave vacant.

So who else would possibly get called up for international duty at short notice?

Cammy bell, perhaps.

Jig - no

Moshni -no

Black - no

Mckay - no

Daly - no

Temps or shiels - no

Tell me someone else who is likely to get called up at short notice?

I'd argue those who think we simply need to show up to win games disregard the level we are playing at much more than those who see why the game was postponed.

Which factors have I failed to apply to my argument?

When comparing European games and the turn around required (especially in uefa/Europa) travelling is a massive factor......That doesn't apply here....

When playing in European games (especially the final in 2008 and subsequent backlog of fixtures you allude to) the intensity and standard is so much higher and added to the pressures of a title race fatigue (mental and physical) plays a massive part....That does not apply here.

We are playing in a one horse title race that is over already, we have a massive squad and are competing against part time players....losing 3/4 players for international duty should have been seen as an opportunity to bleed more youngsters and give fringe players an opportunity to impress and push for a place thereby increasing the pressure for places as well as a marketing opportunity! Being the only televised game or reported game in the media would help improve our brand and aid the club financially....

Would it be really so bad if we got a draw out of the game? Simple fact is, we can't use players like aird etc as they seem incapable of filling the voids that those on international duty would leave vacant.

So who else would possibly get called up for international duty at short notice?

Cammy bell, perhaps.

Jig - no

Moshni -no

Black - no

Mckay - no

Daly - no

Temps or shiels - no

Wasn't Black called up at Short notice last time he won a cap?

Wasn't Shiels a back up for the NI squad druing the last International break?

You don't think Barrie McKay could eanr a late call up to Scotland u-21s or even the 19s if there are injuries?

Wasn't Black called up at Short notice last time he won a cap?

Wasn't Shiels a back up for the NI squad druing the last International break?

You don't think Barrie McKay could eanr a late call up to Scotland u-21s or even the 19s if there are injuries?

Ok even taking into account the possibilities you mention we could still field a team of;

Bell

Faure

Jig

Moshini

Smith

Hutton

Law

Crawford

Templeton

Clark

Daly

Now your seriously not telling me that team shouldn't be capable of beating everyone in sfl2???? Opportunity missed if you ask me!

When comparing European games and the turn around required (especially in uefa/Europa) travelling is a massive factor......That doesn't apply here....

When playing in European games (especially the final in 2008 and subsequent backlog of fixtures you allude to) the intensity and standard is so much higher and added to the pressures of a title race fatigue (mental and physical) plays a massive part....That does not apply here.

We are playing in a one horse title race that is over already, we have a massive squad and are competing against part time players....losing 3/4 players for international duty should have been seen as an opportunity to bleed more youngsters and give fringe players an opportunity to impress and push for a place thereby increasing the pressure for places as well as a marketing opportunity! Being the only televised game or reported game in the media would help improve our brand and aid the club financially....

Our fringe players have a chance to impress. Its called training and under 20 games. Bleed which youngsters? Are they good enough or simply getting a game to make up the numbers?

Our squad, regardless of the travelling undertaken should still be good enough to go out and beat the likes of Aberdeen. We have the second higest wage bill in the country. Surely if the guys who didn't start on the thursday cant play on the saturday then they aren't good enough and should be cut loose.

or does that argument only apply when its used as a stick to beat the manager?

Rangers have always been fantastic underdogs, it's the favourites tag we don't carry well. This is very interesting stuff from Struth and not surprising given the class of the man. At the end of the day the call to postpone the matches this season were weak and no amount of excuses will change my mind on that.

Cammy bell, perhaps.

Jig - no

Moshni -no

Black - no

Mckay - no

Daly - no

Temps or shiels - no

Black no? Shiels no?Your opinion or a retiral / decline to play for their country.

Ok even taking into account the possibilities you mention we could still field a team of;

Bell

Faure

Jig

Moshini

Smith

Hutton

Law

Crawford

Templeton

Clark

Daly

Now your seriously not telling me that team shouldn't be capable of beating everyone in sfl2???? Opportunity missed if you ask me!

Like the team that played vs Forfar in the League Cup. They should have been more than good enough to win. They didn't. Why should we go into any match with players unavailable without being injured or suspended when we have the option to rearrange it?

No dude, do you in ur heart of hearts think they have been showing enough at domestic level to be included in an international squad. I don't think so. Shiels has hardly kicked a ball, black has done ok'ish, and mckay is so far outta the frame. I did ask you or did I not for those you thought would have a realistic chance of being called up. C'mon mate, in all honesty, we have a squad that should be able to get a sorta result. Its mccoist doing what smith done for years. Saving face. His own personal record. I remember we got humped home and away off juve in 94/95. I said from that day you actually seen on the field that smith0 changed his whole footballing ethos. I will never be done like that again. Hence the defensive outlook. Mccoist as his understudy has learned from the 'master' and continues with the ethos. He does not want to not win the league by highest0 margin, undeafeated. Not losing a point. So for me he is egotistical in his approach and one that will be his failing asa a manager

Our fringe players have a chance to impress. Its called training and under 20 games. Bleed which youngsters? Are they good enough or simply getting a game to make up the numbers?

Our squad, regardless of the travelling undertaken should still be good enough to go out and beat the likes of Aberdeen. We have the second higest wage bill in the country. Surely if the guys who didn't start on the thursday cant play on the saturday then they aren't good enough and should be cut loose.

or does that argument only apply when its used as a stick to beat the manager?

Why do you need to make this about ally as per usual?

:lol: you are either at it or aren't the brightest if you seriously think there is a comparison to be made from playing a European game, quickly followed by a pressure top flight game in a title race against full time opposition to playing against part time opposition with a squad that on paper at least should've finishing 2nd in the top flight comfortably!