We are getting it wrong

For any of the youth players to make it into the first team they will have to get more game time. If we started playing from the first minute and obtained a good lead we could then be bring the Airds etc on for 20 or 30 minutes. We also have to play them in their natural positions when they do come on.

With the defence we have we should be playing Gasparotto rather McCulloch for a full 90 minutes.

Offloading Mitchell and McAusland gives me the impression that McCoist isn't so interested in bring on inexperienced players.

Mitchell really is terribly average. and there's been a bit of the 'McMillan's' in the way folk got excited over McAusland after a couple of games. Don't think our young players are poor in any way, but some really are overrated by some on the basis of very little action. Mitchell has become a miles better player based purely on the fact Richard Foster has been utter keech

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And we won the league by a comfortable margin.

I was as big a critic as anyone of last seasons performances and the points we dropped but i think it shows that having a smaller squad wouldn't put our promotion at risk at all.

Nobody is questioning that surely? Our squad certainly doesn't have to be the size it is. the younger players did well last season but they certainly needed the experience around them

Last year

23 appearances for a 21/22 year old (Faure)

29 appearances for a 20 year old (Hegarty)

23 appearances for a 22/23 year old (Perry)

4 appearances for a 20/21 year old (Cole)

4 appearances for a 17/18 year old (Gasparotto)

33 appearances for a 21/22 year old (Hutton)

31 appearances for an 18 year old (Macleod)

27 appearances for a 19/20 year old (Crawford)

26 appearances for a 23/24 year old (Templeton)

22 appearances for a 17/18 year old (Aird)

2 appearances for a 16 year old (Walsh)

7 appearance for a 20/21 year old (Mitchell)

36 appearances (and 25 goals) for a 23 year old (Little)

41 appearances for a 17/18 year old (McKay)

24 appearances for a 20/21 year old (Naismith)

5 appearances for a 20/21 year old (Hemmings)

3 appearances for a 16 year old (Stoney)

-----

ages obviously changing during the season - wouldn't claim we are building a brilliant young side but is interesting enough reading when the suggestion is put forth that we haven't given young players game time. And no, i'm not saying these stats mean anything or that Ally is the bestest manager out there, he's obviously strengthened the side this year and younger players have had less playing time - they merely are what they are. Thought it was quite interesting and surprised me a little bit

Aye they had enough game time and Ally spend a season listening to Internet managers telling him it was not good enough By all means give them an opportunity when possible but ultimately the youngsters themselves have to deliver. I for one do not want diddy teams blowing hot air just for youngsters not to deliver

I'm looking at how Hearts have done this season. Were our youths of last season good enough to do the same ?

great training facilities at Auchenhowie, what's the problem ?

Looking at the top table Hearts without the 15 point penalty would be 3rd ...., from the bottom .... If Rangers were doing the same this place would be in meltdown!

Aye they had enough game time and Ally spend a season listening to Internet managers telling him it was not good enough By all means give them an opportunity when possible but ultimately the youngsters themselves have to deliver. I for one do not want diddy teams blowing hot air just for youngsters not to deliver

I think there's certainly something to be said for Ally to be rotating a bit more or at the very least giving younger players a bit of game time towards the end of games. But I also think some folk think our young players are a lot better than they are. I'd have Macleod, Aird, and Crawford around the squad, further than that, i'm not sure. Liked the look of Luca G last season but he's still a young lad - hopefully he'll play more further into the season when inevitable injuries take their toll

I didnt bring up Hearts - someone else did - I just pointed out they are playing a higher standard of opposition every week than we are. Furthermore they have being forced into playing youngsters who are clearly not ready to cut it at that level.

Thats different from finding a right balance with the emphasis on developing young players as a nucleus for the future.

it was me that brought up Hearts

bints fuckin' haverin'

Mitchell really is terribly average. and there's been a bit of the 'McMillan's' in the way folk got excited over McAusland after a couple of games. Don't think our young players are poor in any way, but some really are overrated by some on the basis of very little action. Mitchell has become a miles better player based purely on the fact Richard Foster has been utter keech

Mitchell was the best right back we have had in 50 odd games. Unfortunately for him he wasn't signed by the manager so Foster, Faure and I reckon Peralta all became priority RBs.

Nobody is questioning that surely? Our squad certainly doesn't have to be the size it is. the younger players did well last season but they certainly needed the experience around them

Can't really remember specific posters etc but i've seen the odd thing about us needing all these signings because we can't risk not getting promoted.

It's just a very romantic view of 'youth', presumably believing that if we just had some patience we could develop a team to win the league from your young players. Simple fact is that we clamour for youth until we see them, we give them a chance, then turn. They cannot make mistakes without people getting on their back, and we end up where we were with Ross, Adam, Hutton, Naismith, Perry, Hemmings, etc.

You're not telling me the below(for example) wouldn't get us to the top flight?

Bell

McAusland McCulloch Mohsni Wallace

Aird McLeod Law McKay

Daly Stoney

that might work, it migt also fail.

Stoney is untested so to say he could get us to the top flight is pushing it. Same goes for mcausland.

Aird and barrie are far too inconsistent.

Id rather these kids were being used sparingly and given small doses of the first team, then over the next year or two we can sort the wheat from the chaff.

We could seriously hurt a boys progression by throwing him straight into the first team. There is a natural progression, we need to stick with that unless a truely outstanding young talent ( like lewis) comes along.

What frustrates me this season is the fact that we're not throwing on some of the younger guys for the last ten minutes of more games when victory is already secured. Also feel we should be using this opportunity to try and poach some of the better youth players in the lower divisions, such as Robertson who went from Queens Park last season to playing regularly for Dundee United this season, even if they turn out not to be good enough in the long term would should at least make a profit on them

I was going to mention you in a post in here, we know your thoughts on ally but you've always said its a bad crop of youths other than McLeod

So why is it a bad crop of youths ? The management team have been here for 5 years so they are responsible for the youths as well. A friend of mine plays for an EPL under 18`s / 21`s team. He plays for scotland now as well at his age group along side the like of soutar / gauld who play for dundee united. Soutar in particular is being touted at £1M. I watched them play for scotland and I thought my friend was a lot better than Soutar. My real point is my friend came from a team that was managed by ex Rangers players . Why did we miss out on the likes of him ? why are we missing out on the "GOOD CROP "?

Mitchell was the best right back we have had in 50 odd games. Unfortunately for him he wasn't signed by the manager so Foster, Faure and I reckon Peralta all became priority RBs.

Mitchell is so average it hurts. And that's not a slight against him, simply that he really is not good. He's a hard worker, and that's it. It's sorry I'm not having that he's any better than that. Yes, Foster is poor as well, but that doesn't make Mitchell any better. He'll be on his way soon enough. We don't have any particularly good right backs and Mitchell could have done a job for us this season, but anyone. Could at right back for us this season.

So yes, Mitchell would do a job but goodness me! he's really not the long term solution (neither is any right back on our books right now)

Can't really remember specific posters etc but i've seen the odd thing about us needing all these signings because we can't risk not getting promoted.

We can't risk not getting promoted. It'd seriously jeopardise us. But we don't need this massive squad to do it. Think signing the players we did was important to guarantee a better standard, but we should be letting the fringe players go play some football somewhere on loan

So that's the whole idea many fans backed of bringing through youth out the window then. I would have given up winning some games this season for the chance of our young players progressing.

We would have won this league with the same players from last season.

The problem with Rangers fans is there is simply no patience when it comes to 'development'. We want results yesterday.

The problem with Rangers fans is there is simply no patience when it comes to 'development'. We want results yesterday.

Yes I agree it's very frustrating but also I don't think the lads are being given the best opportunity and lack confidence it's like they are scared to make a mistake. You could see it last season the only strength in the team was jig and now we have Daly who replaced jig up front it's same shite he's just shoehorned jig into defence denying young lads.

Not anti Ally btw.