Last Rangers produced forward

blunosecol

Little moved to Ibrox in 2006 and turned professional the next year.

He played in youth cup games and u21s for us

Cant say we really produced him

So he was what, 16?

How do we define "produced"? Are we looking at starting with us at maybe under 14 level?

There are not many who made it from the real young team right up to being a regular starter for us in any positions i guess. I think in the current climate the kids have a way better chance than they ever have before.

As the money continues to drop in football ( which IMO the signs are there) More and more teams will be looking to their youth system as a way of getting good players and also making regular money from producing them and moving them on. In the next few years I think we will see more and more youth players break trhough, and if not cementing a first place, will be there or thereabouts the team.

Fleck/McSwegan/Spencer/McCormack all sort of flirted with the first team, Robert Fleck semi established himself mid 80s before heading to Norwich and Chelsea, Spencer also played for Chelsea , Ross McCormack is one who is scoring for fun at Leeds atm.

I can't recall many, & I'm old, very old, though not quite that old. For years now we hear of young talent "Scoring goals for fun" in the U16s, or U21s, but for some reason they never seem to make the transition over to the 1st team. I don't know why that is, & we can't blame Ally, or Walter, as this has been going on for decades.

Maybe the last really great forward to "Come through the ranks" was Derek Johnstone? Although he made a fantastic impact, I don't remember where we got him from? Old age & memory loss, as well as old age has a lot to answer for.

You're talking Parlane, DJ, Andy Kennedy, Martin Henderson - bloody long time ago!

Derek Parlane, now that's a name to conjure with? I remember a mate of mine christening his son Derek Parlane. He was our main striker when I was following the 'Gers everywhere as a teenager, did he come through the ranks?

Derek James Parlane was born on the 5th May 1953 in Helensburgh. Following in the footsteps of his father Jimmy Parlane, Derek grew up to become a professional footballer who had a distinguished club career and also represented his country at international level. Father Jimmy had represented Rangers during the war years and for a short while after hostilities ended.

Derek started his football career as a schoolboy playing for Rhu Primary School, before starring for Hermitage Academy. He played for the school team and local Dumbarton team, Castle Rock and was then asked to train with Queen’s Park. It was whilst playing for the Queen’s Park second XI that he got his break. At the age of 15 he was selected to play for Scotland Amateurs in the home Internationals and came to attention, as a 16 year old, to several clubs offering professional terms.

Derek was signed by Willie Waddell and Willie Thornton for Glasgow Rangers FC, when they visited his home, an occasion Derek fondly remembers.

He signed for Rangers, where he went on to win 2 championships, 3 Scottish Cups and 2 Scottish League Cups and was capped by Scotland 12 times with one under 21 cap. He played for 10 seasons between 1970 and 1980 and scored 80 goals, finishing the club’s top scorer in four seasons, in 202 matches. He is fondly remembered by Rangers fans for his European debut in 1972. Derek scored the decisive second goal in a 2-0 win – a stunning volley - to put Bayern Munich, arguably West Germany's greatest ever club side out of the European Cup-Winners' Cup at the semi final stage. Rangers went on to win the competition beating Moscow Dynamo 3-2 in the Nou Camp Final.

Derek James Parlane was born on the 5th May 1953 in Helensburgh. Following in the footsteps of his father Jimmy Parlane, Derek grew up to become a professional footballer who had a distinguished club career and also represented his country at international level. Father Jimmy had represented Rangers during the war years and for a short while after hostilities ended.

Derek started his football career as a schoolboy playing for Rhu Primary School, before starring for Hermitage Academy. He played for the school team and local Dumbarton team, Castle Rock and was then asked to train with Queen’s Park. It was whilst playing for the Queen’s Park second XI that he got his break. At the age of 15 he was selected to play for Scotland Amateurs in the home Internationals and came to attention, as a 16 year old, to several clubs offering professional terms.

Derek was signed by Willie Waddell and Willie Thornton for Glasgow Rangers FC, when they visited his home, an occasion Derek fondly remembers.

He signed for Rangers, where he went on to win 2 championships, 3 Scottish Cups and 2 Scottish League Cups and was capped by Scotland 12 times with one under 21 cap. He played for 10 seasons between 1970 and 1980 and scored 80 goals, finishing the club’s top scorer in four seasons, in 202 matches. He is fondly remembered by Rangers fans for his European debut in 1972. Derek scored the decisive second goal in a 2-0 win – a stunning volley - to put Bayern Munich, arguably West Germany's greatest ever club side out of the European Cup-Winners' Cup at the semi final stage. Rangers went on to win the competition beating Moscow Dynamo 3-2 in the Nou Camp Final.

Cheers for that NR. Where did he go after he left us? My memory is shit, & I'm a lazy bastard :thumbup:

Robert Fleck was probably our last one of any significant time span though I'm sure even he only lasted about a season after he made the breakthrough. If you're looking for longer than that , then John McDonald back in 79. And before him Derek Parlane , though Martin Henderson flitted in and out for a season or two in mid seventies.

The ECWC semi-final was a great evening, I remember a couple of Bears having a conversation about the attendance on the actual night, one was that he thought it was about 100 000, whilst the other was more thinking it was nearer 60 000, I believe that they were both wrong and it was 80 000.

I also recall that it was the night when Willie Johnston sat on the ball whilst on the left wing, it was outrageous at the time, some thought his actions were in poor taste, but others, me included, thought it was fantastic. Sitting on the baw, playing the famous Bayern Munich, eh?

Cheers for that NR. Where did he go after he left us? My memory is shit, & I'm a lazy bastard :thumbup:

In March 1980, Derek left Rangers for Leeds United for a fee of £160,000 but this wasn't to prove a successful stay. He scored 10 goals in 53 appearances for Leeds before going to Hong Kong on loan with Bulova. On 14 July 1983, new Manchester City manager Billy McNeill brought him to Maine Road. Derek went on to score 20 goals in 48 appearances for City.

Derek was injured in September 1984 and was sold by City to Swansea City in January 1985. After the season finished he played in New Zealand for the summer with North Shore United. He spent the 1985-86 season in Belgium with Racing Jet (2 games 0 goals) before returning to play two seasons with Rochdale from 1986-88, playing 42 games and scoring 10 times.

His last professional club was Airdrie in the 1987-88 season, scoring 4 goals in 9 games, before signing for then non-league outfit Macclesfield Town in England.

The ECWC semi-final was a great evening, I remember a couple of Bears having a conversation about the attendance on the actual night, one was that he thought it was about 100 000, whilst the other was more thinking it was nearer 60 000, I believe that they were both wrong and it was 80 000.

I also recall that it was the night when Willie Johnston sat on the ball whilst on the left wing, it was outrageous at the time, some thought his actions were in poor taste, but others, me included, thought it was fantastic. Sitting on the baw, playing the famous Bayern Munich, eh?

I reckon 80000 also that night, amosphere was electric and to top it off, was the same night Dixie missed that penalty to get knocked out semi final EC at porkheid.................. :thumbup:

Remember it well. Went up to watch it on my granny's new colour telly ( only one in the family at that time ). The tims were ragin our semi-final was on the telly and not theirs !

Anyway , not only did we celebrate a great win but to top it off they went over to the piggery for et and penalty shoot out. That's what you call a double.