Last Rangers produced forward

blunosecol

Title of thread is "forward" not "striker". Surely that means Chris Burke was the latest. Was turning into a really useful player before being floored by that virus. Never fully recovered from that just as Baxter never regained his gallousness after his broken leg.

So they at least screened the penalties live?

Tims were ragin our semifinal was live and not theirs. After our game finished it went over to the piggery for extra time and penalties. That was the icing on top of the cake for us - got the best of both games.

Tims were ragin our semifinal was live and not theirs. After our game finished it went over to the piggery for extra time and penalties. That was the icing on top of the cake for us - got the best of both games.

The coverage of our game wasn't announced as live until just before kick-off as I recall, presumably to ensure both grounds were full.

"And now on STV, a change of programme. Instead of the scheduled episode of Coronation Street, we can now go to live coverage of tonight's European Cup Winners Cup Semi-Final between Rangers and Bayern Munich from Ibrox Stadium."

:)

Derek James Parlane was born on the 5th May 1953 in Helensburgh. Following in the footsteps of his father Jimmy Parlane, Derek grew up to become a professional footballer who had a distinguished club career and also represented his country at international level. Father Jimmy had represented Rangers during the war years and for a short while after hostilities ended.

Derek started his football career as a schoolboy playing for Rhu Primary School, before starring for Hermitage Academy. He played for the school team and local Dumbarton team, Castle Rock and was then asked to train with Queen’s Park. It was whilst playing for the Queen’s Park second XI that he got his break. At the age of 15 he was selected to play for Scotland Amateurs in the home Internationals and came to attention, as a 16 year old, to several clubs offering professional terms.

Derek was signed by Willie Waddell and Willie Thornton for Glasgow Rangers FC, when they visited his home, an occasion Derek fondly remembers.

He signed for Rangers, where he went on to win 2 championships, 3 Scottish Cups and 2 Scottish League Cups and was capped by Scotland 12 times with one under 21 cap. He played for 10 seasons between 1970 and 1980 and scored 80 goals, finishing the club’s top scorer in four seasons, in 202 matches. He is fondly remembered by Rangers fans for his European debut in 1972. Derek scored the decisive second goal in a 2-0 win – a stunning volley - to put Bayern Munich, arguably West Germany's greatest ever club side out of the European Cup-Winners' Cup at the semi final stage. Rangers went on to win the competition beating Moscow Dynamo 3-2 in the Nou Camp Final.

Reason for my username

Knew I had saw the penalty miss live on tv. Mates have been telling me for years that I was wrong. Cheers for clarifying.

The coverage of our game wasn't announced as live until just before kick-off as I recall, presumably to ensure both grounds were full.

"And now on STV, a change of programme. Instead of the scheduled episode of Coronation Street, we can now go to live coverage of tonight's European Cup Winners Cup Semi-Final between Rangers and Bayern Munich from Ibrox Stadium."

:)

To be honest T I don't remember it being a last minute thing , though I was only 10 so could be wrong ! I just remember going up to my grans to watch it.

As for the tims being ragin - that was more to do with one of them I worked with later , who used that as one of many examples of how downtrodden they are. . . . Yep - go figure !

Following on from that question...do we have anyone currently on our books who is capable of being our number 1 striker in the years to come?

I have heard people rave about Stoney, is he an out and out forward?

I still thnk Nicky Clark will come good, just needs a couple goals and confidence will let him go on to be a prolific scorer for us.

Stoney certainly is looking the part, and when the league is won I'd hope we give the guy and other young ones the chance to show what they can do.