Time to bin the Europa league

AlCapone

Seriously what's the point of this farce of a competition? As the saying goes hard to qualify for, even harder to get knocked out. A million games to end up with two teams competing in a final that no one can remember 6 months later. Put it out its misery, get it binned and bring back UEFA cup. Cunts the lot of them

They should make it so the 4 semi finalists get champ League qualification places next year. Would see alot more teams playing there best teams and trying.

The reason why English teams concentrate on the league is for champ League spots , and to be honest I think you should be rewarded with champions league football if like us you end up playing nearly 70 games in a seaaon because the uefa cup/europa League

They should make it so the 4 semi finalists get champ League qualification places next year. Would see alot more teams playing there best teams and trying.

The reason why English teams concentrate on the league is for champ League spots , and to be honest I think you should be rewarded with champions league football if like us you end up playing nearly 70 games in a seaaon because the uefa cup/europa League

That's a good shout.

All jokes aside, I would be quite happy to see us reach the final in it, and win it. I know it isn't what it used to be bit fuck it, you'd still put it on your cv.

I think it's still a decent competition if you're involved. If you're not though it's absolutely boring and you're not interested. That's why I think it will die.

I think the CL has become boring as well. Mostly the same teams year in, year our in the last 16 and the group stages are becoming largely a formality. Gone are the interesting days when a team like Steaua Bucharest or Red Star Belgrade could win. The old format was better and more interesting. This format is pushing European football towards an elitist European league involving a few teams. Boring. It's gonna be NFL like.

European football is shite now, because of the format and because of the rise in TV money and wealthy owners. It's far duller and less varied than it used to be.

I've always believed that it's the best European tournament for us to create a good impression of ourselves. Take away Maribor and recent history can suggest that.

Last 16 in 2007, group winners.

Finalists in 2008

Last 16 in 2011.

We've always got a chance of progression.

The Europa League format has far too many matches as is simply a money making competition, and not a very good one at that from a financial perspective. The fact teams from the better European leagues play their reserve sides affects the credibility of the competition also. The tournament has lost a lot of prestige ever since the creation of the Champions League with the vast amount of teams who now gain access to that particular competition as well.

The only way to salvage the Europa League is to 1) Limit the amount of teams who gain access to both European tournaments meaning the quality of teams would improve in the Europa League. 2) Increase the prize money. 3) Change the format to fewer groups. 4) Have 6 teams in each group with two matches against each team.

Seriously what's the point of this farce of a competition? As the saying goes hard to qualify for, even harder to get knocked out. A million games to end up with two teams competing in a final that no one can remember 6 months later. Put it out its misery, get it binned and bring back UEFA cup. Cunts the lot of them

Totally agree, The new format is far worse than how it was with the UEFA...Although it's all money these days and prob clubs are making more this way.

Bring back UEFA Cup knockout stages all the way.

I'm sure it's held in high regard on the continent. Only in the UK, especially England is it held in such contempt. Wierdly no one ever complains when they get to the final.

The problem is when UEFA tried to make it a shitty version of the Champions league. It would be a far better competition if it was all knockout with no seeds. Bring back the cup winners cup!