Singing section - does it hinder the atmosphere

Bluepeter9

In the thread about the Ayr fans there are quite a few comments about lack of atmosphere - there may be many reasons, league we are in, lack of an 'edge', just pure excitement but I think we all agree there is less and less spontaneous singing.

I sometime wonder if it is because we now have a 'singing section' - now I know one of the reasons it was started was to provide some atmosphere but I also feel that the singing section now dominates, or inhibits, the rest of Ibrox. And there are no 'leaders' to start the singing left in the others stands.

If that section was split ( into 2 ) say one in bf1 and another section in the opposite corner, then perhaps the two sections would spur more of us to join in ( mind you I am in gf5 and we are last to join in at any time)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Three things can affect the singing:

Lack of an edge, sense of injustice always helps, usually following a dodgy ref decision

Average age of punters, reduce to below 40

Too many drive to games now, me included, Introduce compulsory alcohol consumption to all fans over 18.

Not sure what the answer is. Move the singing section next to the away fans maybe? All the bears next to the Ayr fans were very young yesterday. I sit in GR3 and it's quite bizarre, you can slate the team all game long but try to join in the singing and people look at you as if you've 2 heads? What if every stand had a singing section?

Three things can affect the singing:

Lack of an edge, sense of injustice always helps, usually following a dodgy ref decision

Average age of punters, reduce to below 40

Too many drive to games now, me included, Introduce compulsory alcohol consumption to all fans over 18.

Compulsory alcohol gets my vote - but then we would need a no pushing till half time/ full time and bigger loos !

The only way things can really be improved is for police intimidation to be dropped and for the singing section to be allowed to move to a more suitable area and be allowed to expand.

2 groups in two different parts of the stadium wouldn't be right imo. The time sound takes to travel etc it would be out of sync with each other and two songs going at the same time etc. not ideal.

In the thread about the Ayr fans there are quite a few comments about lack of atmosphere - there may be many reasons, league we are in, lack of an 'edge', just pure excitement but I think we all agree there is less and less spontaneous singing.

I sometime wonder if it is because we now have a 'singing section' - now I know one of the reasons it was started was to provide some atmosphere but I also feel that the singing section now dominates, or inhibits, the rest of Ibrox. And there are no 'leaders' to start the singing left in the others stands.

If that section was split ( into 2 ) say one in bf1 and another section in the opposite corner, then perhaps the two sections would spur more of us to join in ( mind you I am in gf5 and we are last to join in at any time)

There is literally one guy in gf5 that sings, guy with a high pitched voice that kinda speaks the words to the occasional song and starts every match with a shout of "come on Rangers, stop Fucking about!" as we kick off. Is that you?

There is literally one guy in gf5 that sings, guy with a high pitched voice that kinda speaks the words to the occasional song and starts every match with a shout of "come on Rangers, stop Fucking about!" as we kick off. Is that you?

Stop fucking about and it's not started :lol:

Sounds to loud for me - I stay quiet in case the permanently hormonal loud woman that sits someplace behind me has a go at me - she is scary!!!

Yesterday the atmosphere was flat but we are allowed that on occasion. We have been playing a lot, there are offpark distractions and Christmas is coming up. and the league is a foregone conlusion. Can't have the joys of spring all the time.

Our away game support provide a great atmosphere as do most travelling supports.

Ayr Utd home games will be flat but yesterday was a wee day out for them.

In the greater scheme of things, the atmosphere will improve next year when we are up against tougher opposition. That is our way.