Singing section - does it hinder the atmosphere

Bluepeter9

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, there's always a wee laugh around him. Yesterday McCoist was a disgrace for dropping Aird until about ten minutes in when he realised he was playing

:lol:

Some of the shouts at games are great. Always good to have a character next to you

My seat is in GF5 and I don't hear much singing from there. Muted if anything other than sometimes at the start of the game (Blue Sea and Penny Arcade). If it could be done a singing section to lead-off in all 4 stands might help. Standing area - absolutely - get back to basics and get rid of some of the 'comfort' in going to home games.

To be candid - more could maybe be done by the Club to make it clear to everyone what songs / words will get you arrested. Many might say this should be well enough known but you know what - maybe it isn't. Because not everyone may be clued enough to know this. Even older Supporters may not be clear when all the so-called policitcally correct stuff came in - you hear the warning announcement about behaviour at the start of the game and its possible that creates a 'don't really know so better not' mentality. Sad perhaps but it may be true.

But maybe most of all - is there really enough hunger for success? The sort of 'common throughout the Support' hunger for success to get the very best from the team on the pitch. There maybe isn't enough of a realisation that these current times are not the same as the last few decades. Money is not there to get the best of players. We are coming out of the wreckage of a financial train crash of mammoth proportions for a football club of Rangers stature and history. But the seat at Ibrox is still there. The same tunes are played before each game. The flag bearers are out at each game. The whole thing feels in some ways like a crash never happened. Until you see the name of the opposition team. Then you know. But even then it feels like an 'ah well' its just part of the journey and we will see the right opposition team names in a few seasons' so you sit it out until that time comes. Comfortable and with the real passion in spades heaped out on non-football stuff.

Here's the thing though. What if there is no really big money to come in whatever the Board composition? Are too many Supporters assuming that the good old days will return soon enough and that the entertainment on the pitch can be enjoyed without passionate support from the terraces? Will the noise levels across the stadium crank up on a consistent basis during games when we are back in the top flight or are playing former SPL sides in a cup game? Will it? I do wonder. If you forget how to voice your support for your team, or don't get into that often enough then re-learning later may not be so easy as comfort and complacency are hard places to shift from. There may not be a cookbook solution to improving the atmosphere but maybe there needs to be more of a realisation that just surviving the financial train crash is not enough and may never be enough and that some re-learning of a history of loud and passionate support may be needed as a factor to get us back to the very top. Ibrox should be the noisiest stadium in Scotland.

Easy way to improve it would be to be banned unless you sing alteast twice in each half. I can understand some fans go to watch the game, but when all you can hear is idle chit chat it drives me insane. Away games by far are the best atmosphere. Even when we lose away the fans are iconic in their backing for the team. Unless its vs tims or in Europe ibrox is like being at a wake

Having different sections all round the stadium wouldn't work, it would only seperate those who want to improve the atmosphere and stick them in the middle of those who prefer to sit down and watch the game. They should all be together in one stand, CF being that stand.

BF1 doesn't hinder the atmosphere, although I definitely understand where you are coming from. The only thing currently hindering the atmosphere is having the most vocal fans hid away in a corner with only one section to the side of it.

Yesterday the atmosphere was flat but we are allowed that on occasion. We have been playing a lot, there are offpark distractions and Christmas is coming up. and the league is a foregone conlusion. Can't have the joys of spring all the time.

Our away game support provide a great atmosphere as do most travelling supports.

Ayr Utd home games will be flat but yesterday was a wee day out for them.

In the greater scheme of things, the atmosphere will improve next year when we are up against tougher opposition. That is our way.

Their home games? Or do you mean our home games v them? Only reason I say is because the atmosphere they generated was probably the best from a home side we have played so far in the lower divisions.

Their home games? Or do you mean our home games v them? Only reason I say is because the atmosphere they generated was probably the best from a home side we have played so far in the lower divisions.

I think he meant a run if the mill Ayr home game, just like yesterday was for us

Having different sections all round the stadium wouldn't work, it would only seperate those who want to improve the atmosphere and stick them in the middle of those who prefer to sit down and watch the game. They should all be together in one stand, CF being that stand.

BF1 doesn't hinder the atmosphere, although I definitely understand where you are coming from. The only thing currently hindering the atmosphere is having the most vocal fans hid away in a corner with only one section to the side of it.

See when I sat in bf1 it always seemed loud but I've sat in bf3 and 4 and the sound just doesn't seem to travel, the club have let the fans down badly in that regard.

It should be in the middle of a goal rather than that shite wee corner

"Yas were playing Airdrie, come on everyone get up and do the bouncy, start singing and get this place rocking" it's just not realistic unfortunately, ibrox has always been the same, European nights, old firms and sheep are the best atmospheres. You get the odd pished guy singing/slurring songs by himself trying to get people to join in but he just looks like a fanny

"Yas were playing Airdrie, come on everyone get up and do the bouncy, start singing and get this place rocking" it's just not realistic unfortunately, ibrox has always been the same, European nights, old firms and sheep are the best atmospheres. You get the odd pished guy singing/slurring songs by himself trying to get people to join in but he just looks like a fanny

Aye a guy trying to sing and create some sort of atmosphere looks a fanny

It's been like that since I started going way back in the 20th century. Unless we're playing Celtic, Aberdeen or it's a European night then the majority of the crowd aren't interested in creating an atmosphere.

The singing section is redundant in these games as well, on the big nights the atmosphere is usually led by the Copland Road.

It's been like that since I started going way back in the 20th century. Unless we're playing Celtic, Aberdeen or it's a European night then the majority of the crowd aren't interested in creating an atmosphere.

The singing section is redundant in these games as well, on the big nights the atmosphere is usually led by the Copland Road.

Ah big games! Been a while now

As other people have mentioned, standing sections would help boost the atmosphere but I wouldn't blame BF1 at all for hindering the atmosphere, afterall the UB are only trying to make the atmosphere and get behind the team. I just think people need to go along with them and start singing too, maybe as the opening poster put it, could have the UB sort of split in 2 with a decent amount over in the Copeland stand to help try start the singing over there. I know there would be more than enough people willing to be behind it.

I sometime wonder if it is because we now have a 'singing section' - now I know one of the reasons it was started was to provide some atmosphere but I also feel that the singing section now dominates, or inhibits, the rest of Ibrox.

Uh huh.

In the same way feet inhibit walking, eyes make seeing more difficult than it should be and thinking would very obviously be much better without a brain - as your post ably demonstrates.

I got my first season ticket last year, in SW2, and at the start thought the singing level was pretty good. But after that first game or two I realised that it was only the UB's who were singing.

It was most notable when last season there was a ten minute protest, I think that's what it was, when they didn't sing or play any instrument and the silence was unbelievable. I could hear people shouting from over the other side of Ibrox. It was quite embarrassing actually.

I wonder if it's because the UB's make so much noise that people have just got lazy and think they'll do all the singing/chanting?

I would love to get singing but there are two problems for me: 1) No-one around me sings and 2)I'm no really into singing Orange songs

I think if I stood up and started singing songs I'd be the only person for 100 yards.