Lee Wallace

Johnny Hubbard

Two things bother me about this. 1, I would prefer Wallace to continue with us and play again for Rangers in the top league and Rangers. 2, I had hoped we had seen the end of our best players leaving in January, half way through a season; it is irritating to have a settled side and then the usual speculation in December, with the sale done at the very last minute in January. This is the one thing I hope is not going to part of Rangers in the future.

If we'd sold more players in the past it would likely have helped avoid the situation we're in now.

Selling on players for decent cash is sadly the reality of Scottish football, even the scum with all their CL money have still had to sell players.

The window it's in doesn't make a massive difference but obviously you like to be able to buy a replacement of some kind.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we'd sold more players in the past it would likely have helped avoid the situation we're in now.

Selling on players for decent cash is sadly the reality of Scottish football, even the scum with all their CL money have still had to sell players.

The window it's in doesn't make a massive difference but obviously you like to be able to buy a replacement of some kind.

With respect, I disagree. When you have a settled side, that can take a few months to blend. It became too common for us to lose very important players in January. Jelavic, Miller, Hutton, Boumsong. I'd prefer if a player leaves then he leaves in the summer. Granted, some of those who left didn't impact too greatly when it came to winning leagues, but losing the best players in January is a no no for me.

With respect, I disagree. When you have a settled side, that can take a few months to blend. It became too common for us to lose very important players in January. Jelavic, Miller, Hutton, Boumsong. I'd prefer if a player leaves then he leaves in the summer. Granted, some of those who left didn't impact too greatly when it came to winning leagues, but losing the best players in January is a no no for me.

It depends really, Boumsong was a great bit of business considering the players we brought in with the money, such a big offer for Hutton came totally out the blue, I think that summer most of us would have been happy to see him replaced but he had such a great start that season.

Miller's contract situation was to blame there but he still made a big contribution to our season in the first half, I'd have kept him for the remainder but the club obviously wanted to get something rather than lose him for nothing. Jelavic situation was gutting especially since we were already so thin up front but as we later found out it was an incredible situation where our owner was deliberately not paying the bills.

I agree with you really and I'd like to think we won't be giving up players easily in January but there will be offers we can't turn down considering the financial limitations.

It depends really, Boumsong was a great bit of business considering the players we brought in with the money, such a big offer for Hutton came totally out the blue, I think that summer most of us would have been happy to see him replaced.

Miller's contract situation was to blame there but he still made a big contribution to our season in the first half, I'd have kept him for the remainder but the club obviously wanted to get something rather than lose him for nothing. Jelavic situation was gutting especially since we were already so thin up front but as we later found out it was an incredible situation where our owner was deliberately not paying the bills.

I agree with you really and I'd like to think we won't be giving up players easily in January but there will be offers we can't turn down considering the financial limitations.

If Wallace goes in January I just hope it doesn't set a future precedent along the way. Very few big clubs, if any, sell their best players in January, and the one thing I remember above all is that it became a pattern for us.

If Wallace goes in January I just hope it doesn't set a future precedent along the way. Very few big clubs, if any, sell their best players in January, and the one thing I remember above all is that it became a pattern for us.

I'd find it a bit odd considering we've held onto him for three transfer windows since we got demoted, maybe his appearances for Scotland have increased interest.

Him leaving wouldn't make any difference to our league situation, could be a big blow for the cups, but I really hoped he'd be here for us getting right back to the top.

Billy Davies would probably like Wallace. I'd take no less than £3m.

He's such a vital to player for us but. Would be very disappointed if we lost him.

It would be a shame to see him leave for that pittance. A Scotland international and likely best LB in the country should command more than £3m. However, if Lee wanted to leave, given where we are and our finances then I think we should hold out for £4m and give him our best wishes.

The sensible move for us would be to loan him out in January to let him get better football but that's a risk as he may end up wanting to stay with the club he's loaned too. Players like Wallace and Bell aren't required at our current level and to save them festering we should loan them out to let them hone their talent.

Considering Wallace is paid-for, selling him makes no sense at all at this moment in time unless most/all of the following statements are true;

• The club isn't financially secure.
  • The player is costing us sums of money in wages which will run into amounts over the next few years for which there is little hope of seeing return on.
  • The player wants to leave.
  • The player is attracting interest at a level where we could see a good profit on him just now ( I question this first and foremost as we can't do that in the Champions League most of the time never mind in the 3rd tier).
  • The player is worth more for sale just now than he would be in 2 years (in the SPFL at that point) baring in mind the contribution he looks as though he could make on the field between now and then.
  • The club has a ready made replacement for him which is considerably more affordable.
  • The player has an injury problem which is going to finish him and cost us shortly unless we offload him now.

Some of these surely aren't the case so in my mind unless it's silly money, which I sincerely doubt, it's bizarre to punt him just now. He's one of the few players we can say is good enough hand on heart to take those fuckers to task.

I'd say that only one of your statements would have to be true and that is "The player wants to leave". Saying that, I doubt he would want to leave unless he saw the chance of a big move down south.

The sensible move for us would be to loan him out in January to let him get better football but that's a risk as he may end up wanting to stay with the club he's loaned too. Players like Wallace and Bell aren't required at our current level and to save them festering we should loan them out to let them hone their talent.

The rationale behind loaning a player out is for them to get 1st team football. There are only 2 situations where this arises.

1 - Player returning from injury - like Ramsey who went to Cardiff from Arsenal.

2 - He cant command a 1st team place (and likely to be sold) as per Andy Carroll, Liverpool to West Ham

To suggest Wallace be loaned out is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

I can see your point on that one but I struggle to imagine our club taking a massive financial/footballing dent on selling him just now because he wants a move alone.

I struggle to even imagine that a club is interested in buying him at all currently tbh due to the money we paid and the league we're in.

I think your probably right regarding interest being unlikely. Your probably looking at a current 'price' of 3 million at present rising to around 5 million when back at the top, assuming he keeps form and stays fit. However, at the end of next season, he will be moving into the last two years of his contract and his price tag will then start to drop if he does not sign a new deal. At the end of the 2016 season he can sign a pre-contract agreement with another club meaning we would get nothing. I think because of this the financial dent would not be as big as you think. However, from a footballing point of view, it would be devastating if he did leave.

The rationale behind loaning a player out is for them to get 1st team football. There are only 2 situations where this arises.

1 - Player returning from injury - like Ramsey who went to Cardiff from Arsenal.

2 - He cant command a 1st team place (and likely to be sold) as per Andy Carroll, Liverpool to West Ham

To suggest Wallace be loaned out is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

Pish, both are capable of playing at a higher level and as such should be loaned out for them to stay at their peak for our return to the SPL. Bell is never being tested in the league. I'm not saying it will happen, i'm saying it should.

bf.....I agree both are capable of playing at a higher level...as are quite a few others in our team.... should they all be sent out on loan?

your idea of 'festering' is at odds with the football world - where it normally means "on the bench or in the reserves".

where is the sense of buying a player that's too good for the league you are in and sending him out on loan?

opinions, eh?