Sad News - Ian Redford

D'Artagnan

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible news, his chipped winner into the top corner in the LC final of 82

v Dundee Utd is one of my fondest memories as a young Rangers supporter.

Also remember a long range winner v St Johnstone at Muirton park.

Always thought he was undervalued as a Rangers player.

Thoughts with his family.

Tributes pour in for former Rangers and Dundee United star Ian Redford who was found dead in woods near his home

11 Jan 2014 07:52

THE midfielder starred for Rangers, Dundee United and Raith Rovers in a career spanning almost 20 years.

Ian-Redford-3009251.jpg View gallery

Daily Record

• Ian-Redford-3009251.jpg"
  • Ian-Redford-3009263.jpg"
  • Ian-Redford-3009267.jpg"
  • Ian-Redford-3009262.jpg"
  • Ian-Redford-3009271.jpg"
  • GP27140956-1938707.jpg"
  • Ian-Redford-3009266.jpg"
  • Ian-Redford-3009261.jpg"
  • Ian-Redford-3009260.jpg"
  • Ian-Redford-3009253.jpg"

In Pictures: The life of Ian RedfordView gallery

RANGERS and Dundee United hero Ian Redford was found dead in woods yesterday, aged just 53.

Police said the tragedy was not being treated as suspicious.

Father-of-three Ian was discovered in Shewalton Woods in Irvine, Ayrshire, a few miles from his home in Saltcoats.

Former Ibrox team-mate Sandy Jardine led the tributes last night. He said: “Ian was a great athlete and a very good professional. But most of all, he was just a really nice lad.”

Ian is survived by wife Janine and children Ian jnr, Gavin and Natalie. The family were too upset to comment last night.

A family friend said: “This has come as a real shock. The first I heard about it was when it flashed up on the TV. We’re absolutely stunned.

“Things haven’t been easy for the family in the last wee while. They have moved about a bit.

“They are a close family. I just can’t imagine how the kids will be feeling.”

Classy midfielder Ian became the most expensive player ever sold by one Scottish club to another when Rangers bought him from Dundee for £210,000 in 1980.

He won three League Cups and one Scottish Cup at Ibrox before moving to Dundee United in 1985.

There, he played a major role in United’s famous run to the 1987 UEFA Cup final, starring in the quarter-final triumph over Barcelona before scoring the clinching goal in a 2-0 second leg semi-final victory over Borussia Mönchengladbach.

Legendary United goalie Hamish McAlpine said of his death: “It’s absolutely terrible news – one of those things you can’t believe when you hear it.

“Nobody really knows what Ian was going through. My thoughts go out to his family first and foremost.

“Ian was such a nice lad. He just came in every day and trained hard then went away to get on with his life.”

Another United hero, Eamonn Bannon, said: “Ian was a great guy and a fantastic asset for Dundee United. My thoughts and sympathies are with his wife and children.”

Ian-Redford-3009266.jpg In action for Dundee United against Barcelona in 1987 Uefa Cup quarter final

SNS Group

Tommy McLean, who played with Ian at Rangers, said: “He was a really nice, quiet lad off the park, quite reserved.

“When my brother Jim asked about signing him for United, I had no hesitation in recommending him.”

Ian also played for Ipswich and St Johnstone and managed Brechin City before a final taste of glory as a player with Raith Rovers, where he helped win the League Cup in 1994.

Starks Park team-mate Gordon Dalziel said: “Ian was a terrific lad, brilliant with the young players.

“He always took time to help people and pass on his experience.

“You can sum people up by what other people say about them and I never heard a bad word said about Ian.”

Football was often an escape for Ian – from a childhood tragedy that haunted him throughout his life.

He grew up on a Perthshire farm with parents Douglas and Elizabeth, little brother Dougie and sister Jill.

But Dougie fell ill with leukaemia. And Ian, who was only seven at the time, never fully got over his death.

In his autobiography Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head, serialised in the Record, he wrote: “It was a total,

unforgettable nightmare.

“There was guilt, because when Douglas was alive I treated him like a normal brother. I would regularly say things like, ‘When will Dougie be better, mum?’”

The strain of caring for Dougie took its toll on his parents. Ian said his once-happy dad became withdrawn and reclusive, while his mother turned to alcohol to try to numb the pain.

Ian-Redford-3009262.jpg Playing for Rangers

SNS Group

Ian got home from a school football match in December 1972 to be told Dougie had hours to live.

He recalled: “I bolted from the kitchen, threw myself on the bed and sobbed my heart out. My life felt like it had just imploded with the shock of it all.”

Even at the end of his career, Ian was struggling to come to terms with Dougie’s loss.

He spoke to a sports psychologist about it to try to deal with his feelings of guilt – and he and Jill visited Dougie’s grave in Kinclaven, Perthshire, every December.

Ian admitted that, at the start of his football career, he “lacked self-esteem as a person, rather than as a player”. He added: “The football gave me an escape. It gave me the buzz.”

He also confessed that he struggled with the pressure of being Rangers’ record signing.

He said: “My frustrations led to me feeling depressed and I was drinking to blot everything out – but it solved nothing.

“It was a vicious downward spiral. Looking back, I can see I was very depressed.”

Ian got to the top in football despite a childhood illness that left him deaf in one ear and led doctors to advise him to avoid contact sports.

After retiring, he briefly worked as an agent, then in golf tourism.

A gifted golfer, he spoke of his dream of joining the seniors tour aged 51. Ian jnr is a professional.

Police said: “At around 11.15am, police received a report of a man’s body being found in a wooded area near Long Drive in Irvine.

“Inquiries are continuing. A post-mortem examination will be carried out in due course to establish the exact cause of death.”

iends and former team-mates express their shock over the passing of Ian Redford: He was a special person

10 Jan 2014 22:26

THE former midfielder was found dead today, aged just 53 and his former team-mates have paid tribute to a talented player who will be remembered for his generosity and kindness.

Ian-Redford-3009271.jpg Redford celebrates a League Cup win with the late Davie Cooper in 1981

Daily Record

FORMER team mates have paid tribute to Ian Redford the ex-Dundee United and Rangers star who was found dead today, aged 53.

The former midfielder, who was once signed for a Scottish record transfer fee for Rangers, also starred for Dundee, St Johnstone, Ipswich Town and Raith Rovers.

Dundee United legend Eamonn Bannon said: “It is so sad.

“I met Ian about a year ago in Drumoig, Fife just by coincidence.

“When I was at Dundee United I used to organise all the golf outings and Ian didn’t play at all.

“He wasn’t a golfer.

“So I was gobsmacked to discover he was a one-handicapper.

“He got into it through his son and had a natural eye for a ball, as a lot of professional footballers do.

“But to get down to one is amazing.

“I am so glad now that I met him that day.”

Eamonn said Ian was fascinated by sports psychology and how it could be applied to golf, where players have plenty of thinking time between shots.

When Redford arrived at United from Rangers he was unfit but he quickly got himself into shape.

Eamonn added: “He turned into a fantastic asset for Dundee United.”

The former United hero recalled Redford’s generosity and annual Hogmanay party for the players.

He added: “He was a great guy and I feel a real sadness.

“My thoughts and sympathies are with his wife and children.”

Tommy McLean played with Redford at Rangers and was his assistant manager at Ibrox.

He said: “It is really sad.

“He was a really nice, quiet lad off the park and quite reserved.

“Ian wasn’t a publicity seeker.

“We never had any bother with him and he never got up to any tricks.

“He was a good player for Rangers and a wee bit under rated.

“When my brother Jim asked about signing him for Dundee United I had no hesitation in recommending him.”

Gordon Dalziel, who won trophies with him at Rangers and Raith Rovers, spoke warmly of the midfielder.

He said: “It is tragic news and my thoughts are with his family.

“Ian was a terrific lad and he was brilliant with the young players.

“He always took time to help people and pass on his experience.

“You can sum people up by what other people say about them and I never heard a bad word said about him.

“That tells you he was a special person.”

Dalziel recalled Ian’s talent as a golfer and joked: “He always used to give me a bit of stick because I used to cheat all the time.”

Tributes were also paid to Redford on social media site Twitter.

Ex-Dundee United and Blackburn star Kevin Gallacher tweeted: “OMG just heard news about Ian Redford, thoughts go out to his family.”

And Scottish golfer and Record columist Alastair Forsyth tweeted: “Very sad news about Ian Redford. One of the first players I remember. Great player and very nice man. Loved his golf. RIP”

I remember in the 1981 Scottish Cup Final, we won a penalty in the dying seconds at 0-0 against Dundee United and the young kid beside me knocked my glasses off in the excitement. Ian Redford stepped up to miss the penalty, but tbh history is glad he did because in the replay Davie Cooper ran riot. Amazing to think a team with the likes of Redford, Cooper and Bobby Russell didn't win more.

Very tragic news.

A very tragic and upsetting piece of news :( it sounds like the death of his young brother really affected Ian throughout his life, i am too young to fully remember Ian playing for us but from what I've seen and read he had the makings of a fantastic player. Thoughts with Ian's family and friends today.

Such a shame. He was on BBC off the Ball just a couple of weeks ago talking about football and his love of golf. He has struggled all his life with the sad loss of his young brother and then overcoming his own disability, just goes to show that no one realises what goes on in someone's head.

Condolences to his family.