Wallace Q&A

North Rd

It is comforting that GW believes that there is no prospect of Admin 2. However, if this is correct, surely it will make it very difficult for him to persuade the players voluntarily to reduce their wages? Unless a doomsday scenario is looming, there is no way that they will all agree to a pay cut. And why should they?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep reading that players wages are roughly 30% of income, I don't know a big club like Rangers which operates anywhere near that low level of wages/income, most of the bigger clubs are up in the 50% brackets and even above.

If I have a business and I need to make savings do I look firstly at what represents 30% of my spend or what possibly makes up the other 70%??

What are we possibly spending £12-13 million a year on when we have no debt, and own all our assets outright?

It is comforting that GW believes that there is no prospect of Admin 2. However, if this is correct, surely it will make it very difficult for him to persuade the players voluntarily to reduce their wages? Unless a doomsday scenario is looming, there is no way that they will all agree to a pay cut. And why should they?

Conversely if they don't they are then put on the transfer list or sold.

I don't agree with forcing people to take wage cuts in any job but if it is needed to secure the long term viability of the company then it has to happen.

The best example would be if the board took the lead.

However if you read Wallace's interview thoroughly he says no such offer was made to the players. Just preliminary discussions to get some feedback. If that feedback is negative then Wallace will have to initiate cuts across the company and some of those will affect the players.

He is only doing what any good CEO would do if a company was paying out more than it took in.

What amazes me is the many Rangers fans howling to the moon at a guy who is trying to run Rangers properly.

I think you make a fair point though Wallace gives the impression that he will exhaust many other avenues in a bid to lower outgoings.

Like you I'm not at all convinced the players will agree but it makes perfect sense for Wallace to pursue reductions as the savings would be notable, particularly considering what some of our team take home atm.

VLV

Conversely if they don't they are then put on the transfer list or sold.

I don't agree with forcing people to take wage cuts in any job but if it is needed to secure the long term viability of the company then it has to happen.

The best example would be if the board took the lead.

However if you read Wallace's interview thoroughly he says no such offer was made to the players. Just preliminary discussions to get some feedback. If that feedback is negative then Wallace will have to initiate cuts across the company and some of those will affect the players.

He is only doing what any good CEO would do if a company was paying out more than it took in.

What amazes me is the many Rangers fans howling to the moon at a guy who is trying to run Rangers properly.

Our squad is far too large. We should be looking to reduce it over an 18 month period. Asking players to take a wage cut now suggests that we do not have that much time.

We had a fantastic opportunity to rebuild the club. Green & Co have trully blown it.

I'm less concerned with this and more concerned with the LEAK....

That's my biggest worry there is someone still in there willing to blab to the press on things that are confidential and it needs to be stopped.

It's very important that all RFC employees understand that if they pass on incorrect or confidential info they should and will be shown the door.

Look at the Mhanks gagging everyone.

Industrial espionage can damage a business.

Fair enough

so the board earned 1.5 mil ?

Aye. Greens gone, and I severely doubt anyone on that board will get anywhere near as much as the £900k+ Green gave himself. Stockbridge has already handed back £200k of his money. The days of bonuses are long gone, unless deserved. It would just be suicide for the board to take a bonus right now, the fans would lose the plot. We're probably less than half that now.

Our squad is far too large. We should be looking to reduce it over an 18 month period. Asking players to take a wage cut now suggests that we do not have that much time.

We had a fantastic opportunity to rebuild the club. Green & Co have trully blown it.

Rubbish. And you keep repeating this ad nauseum.

Who forced McCoist to buy the players he did who would in turn demand ridiculous wages to play for us?

They are ALL in some way to blame for the mess we are in today.

Really positive interview. Sadly many bears get their info solely from the papers!

I suspect some of them will look at the back page and cringe, then scan over the interview with a sceptical eye and a sinking feeling

Eh the interview North Rd posted is from the papers, is it not?? All in all a reasonably interview and in line with what he said at the AGM.

From last years accounts, from what's been posted and even said by the club, the boardroom wages has dropped along with ally's wage cut, so if what another user has said on here they reckon that the boardroom wages is about £650k, that is saving just under 1,000,000 a year along with ally's saving of say £350k. Cuts have already started. Now if I was in GW shoes I would be going to ally and saying look you have 2 high paid first team coaches in McDowell and Durrant one needs to be let go, but which one would ally get rid of. But also ally needs to be asked about any player he thinks should be let go or sold aswell, if it was me then I would be letting anyone that hasn't been available for much games this season like perry and hegarty, along with any player out of contract in the summer, then also say to high earners in say age bracket of 30 and above, give them a new contract reduced wages but with incentive bonuses, that way it makes sense in the long run

Throw in Wallace and crighton and we have seven accountants at club yet we are told we require a consultant to help cut costs :lol: :lol:

Most CEO's come from an accounting background. It's having 3 consultants which I have an issue with, especially given recent events. As is having 3 PR companies.

From last years accounts, from what's been posted and even said by the club, the boardroom wages has dropped along with ally's wage cut, so if what another user has said on here they reckon that the boardroom wages is about £650k, that is saving just under 1,000,000 a year along with ally's saving of say £350k. Cuts have already started. Now if I was in GW shoes I would be going to ally and saying look you have 2 high paid first team coaches in McDowell and Durrant one needs to be let go, but which one would ally get rid of. But also ally needs to be asked about any player he thinks should be let go or sold aswell, if it was me then I would be letting anyone that hasn't been available for much games this season like perry and hegarty, along with any player out of contract in the summer, then also say to high earners in say age bracket of 30 and above, give them a new contract reduced wages but with incentive bonuses, that way it makes sense in the long run

(tu)

Eh the interview North Rd posted is from the papers, is it not?? All in all a reasonably interview and in line with what he said at the AGM.

Yeah I know, I remember the mentality of folk who just read the papers at my old work though. Once they've looked at the back page they're cringing so much at it even being plastered on the back page that they're just scanning over the interview

I suppose my point is that they are used to reading hyped up inaccuracies in the rag, and that when they see the back page WE ARE NOT GOING BUST the article being balanced for once might not make a lot of difference.

I always felt like some of these guys had drastically different outlooks from myself and in general the folk who are digging about online

I just read the first page of this thread as that interview concurs with the tenor of my posts yesterday. Namely, that there is more than one way to skin a cat and the media, BBC radio O'Scotland in particular have sensationalised the news.

BTW, better to have the interview with a perceived enemy than the Rangers website. That would then leave us open to all kinds of favouritism allegations.

Incompetence and greed scuppered any plan for the way for the way forward.In essence they blew it.....

I agree with you that the playing and management squad needs to be trimmed but, as GW is finding out, that is easier said than done. We can't just make players or coaches redundant. They're all on fixed term contracts. There is nothing GW can do to make Durrant or McDowall leave. They could perhaps be bought out of their contracts but we do not have enough money in the bank to do this. The situation is very difficult. Ideally, we should be looking to reduce the wage burden over an 18-month period, but we may not have that amount of time available. As another poster has pointed out, what has happened to all these investors the Board had lined up before the AGM?

I agree with you that the playing and management squad needs to be trimmed but, as GW is finding out, that is easier said than done. We can't just make players or coaches redundant. They're all on fixed term contracts. There is nothing GW can do to make Durrant or McDowall leave. They could perhaps be bought out of their contracts but we do not have enough money in the bank to do this. The situation is very difficult. Ideally, we should be looking to reduce the wage burden over an 18-month period, but we may not have that amount of time available. As another poster has pointed out, what has happened to all these investors the Board had lined up before the AGM?

The investors won't invest till the costs are brought under control. I honestly think the reason by putting the idea across about wage reductions is to save paying players and staff off, if they can get rid of them when in summer if there contracts are ups but back to the point of where are the boards investors from the Agm, 2 points to it, where is Paul Murray's investors surely the club is what matters here why won't they invest and point 2, why invest while we are losing money, it would just be back to square one when that money gets low, so the investors will invest when they know that costs are cut. Hope that is a reasonable reply to your one