Ally: I side with my Players

North Rd

• By <No links to this website>

Rangers boss Ally McCoist sides with his players over club's wage cut proposal

17 Jan 2014 14:03

McCOIST also admitted "I have my own ideas about who is responsible, but I would rather keep them to myself" as the cash woes continue at Ibrox.

Ally-McCoist-2952105.jpg SNS Group

RANGERS manager Ally McCoist has backed his players after they rejected a 15 per cent pay cut.

Chief executive Graham Wallace proposed the idea on Thursday as he seeks to cut costs at Ibrox.

McCoist said at a media conference on Friday: "I can assure everyone that the players have my 100 per cent backing."

And the Rangers boss stressed that the players were not the ones to blame for the club's ongoing financial woes.

McCoist, who recently accepted a 50 per cent cut to his £825,000 salary, said: "I don't know who is responsible but I do know who is not responsible and that's the players and supporters, who have given us two years of 36,000 season tickets.

"I have my own ideas about who is responsible, but I would rather keep them to myself."

The Scottish League One leaders reported a £14.4million loss in the 13 months up to July and Wallace admitted last month that the cost base would be unsustainable even in the top flight.

Wallace earlier insisted there was no immediate threat to the club's finances.

Wallace told the Daily Record: "All I am trying to do is look at options in order to move this club towards sustainability. That is my focus. This is not about a need for any immediate drastic action.

"Categorically, there is no threat of administration II.

"This simply sits alongside everything else that we are doing here right now - reviewing the business to put it on a sound footing for the future."

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the players are not responsible and most of the article, But why would he rather keep his thoughts to himself about who is responsible? Do the fans not deserve to be told? I for one would love Ally's take on it..

He's remaining dignified despite the shite he has to contend with.

Your pissing in the wind with that nonsense. Like it or not, McCoist is universally trusted by the Rangers support.

People can trust him all they want but the position of the manager of Rangers should be about football and actually being the manager.

I'm not trying to create an argument on that either way as many think he's doing a good job, but I get a bit sick of hearing about how he's the only one we can trust and we need him here every time there's a bit of hysteria.

Ally is the one who signed these players and half of them are "deadwood"

Tempelton doesn't get a game

Cribiri was a last minute signing but is still over paid.

Steven Smith - backwards signing

Foster same as Steven Smith.

Steve Simonsen - pointless. As Gallacher could have sat on the bench.

Peralta Pish.

Ally is the one who signed these players and half of them are "deadwood"

Tempelton doesn't get a game

Cribiri was a last minute signing but is still over paid.

Steven Smith - backwards signing

Foster same as Steven Smith.

Steve Simonsen - pointless. As Gallacher could have sat on the bench.

Peralta Pish.

Lols

Should be judged as a football manager and nothing more.

Even you must agree that the last two years have been extraordinary circumstances and I dread to think where we would be without a club legend to try and hold everything together. Therefore, your opinion is very, very simplistic.

It is all too easy to spout off about loyalty and honour from the safety of a crowd (or behind a keyboard) but how many would step up to the plate and put themselves in the firing line like Ally McCoist has?

Remember, even Walter Smith had to admit defeat and walk.

People can trust him all they want but the position of the manager of Rangers should be about football and actually being the manager.

I'm not trying to create an argument on that either way as many think he's doing a good job, but I get a bit sick of hearing about how he's the only one we can trust and we need him here every time there's a bit of hysteria.

Why? He's more than earned it.

The position of Rangers manager isn't JUST about football these days I'm afraid.