Ally McCoist insists he wants to play no part in potential fire sale of his play

Bothwellbear

Rangers boss Ally McCoist insists he wants to play no part in potential fire sale of his players

18 Jan 2014 07:48

McCOIST has refused to rule out losing top stars such as Scotland full-back Lee Wallace before the end of the transfer window as the club undertake a savage cost-cutting exercise.

Ally-McCoist-2952105.jpg Gers manager Ally McCoist

SNS Group

ALLY McCOIST last night revealed he wants no say in a potential fire sale of his Ibrox stars.

The Rangers manager has backed his players after they rejected a proposed 15 per cent wage cut to rein in soaring running costs at the club.

Chief executive Graham Wallace is anxious to undertake a savage cost-cutting exercise to save the embattled League One leaders a reported £500,000-a-month.

He insists Administration II is not on the cards but fears are being raised for the future without fresh financial investment in the medium term.

The Rangers players are holding firm for now, in part because highly paid executives at the club have yet to be approached about wage reductions.

McCoist is refusing to rule out losing top stars such as Scotland full-back Lee Wallace before the end of the January transfer window.

However, he is adamant he wants no part in helping anyone out the door as he bids to build on the existing spirit within his squad.

Asked if he has been told to sell anyone, McCoist said: “Me? No I haven’t. I won’t be selling anybody.

“The club might sell somebody but I won’t be selling anybody.”

He added: “There are a few options and that’s an option but it’s not a road Graham and I want to go down.

“To be fair, Graham hasn’t told me he wants the squad size trimmed but the obvious interpretation of cuts in the player budget would suggest it.

“He hasn’t said as such but maybe reading into what he’s said about a smaller playing budget and cuts, you’d think that’s what he’s meaning.”

There is now a fear clubs could raid Rangers in the next fortnight for players on the cheap as another period of financial upheaval looms.

McCoist said: “We’ll find out soon enough. I hope that’s not the case.”

Rangers refused to allow players to speak at Murray Park yesterday ahead of Monday night’s visit to Forfar.

Skipper Lee McCulloch held talks with Wallace and McCoist on Wednesday before addressing his team-mates on Thursday to gauge their feelings.

They are not interested in taking cuts at this stage and have the full support of their manager.

McCoist added: “I’ve nothing but tremendous pride in the players. My loyalty is to the players, the fans and the football club and I stand by what decision the players would make.

“There have been a couple of constants through this whole thing. The fans have been unbelievable but so have the players.

“They have been magnificent for the club during the last 18 months.”

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, Ally. I've backed you on here for months, but this is cowardly. You're the one that watches the players every day and it is your call on who you can lose.

Man up.

Welcome to management.

Alan I agree 100%, I said it last night on Rangers Chat as well, his quotes recently have been devisive and cowardly without making it perfectly clear where he stands.

Either demand the players are not sold and quit if they are or get kicked for these press releases, but enough is enough. Oil is not needed on a fecking fire, calming water is and this is not that.

"I know who might be to blame" and "He hasn’t said as such but maybe reading into what he’s said about a smaller playing budget and cuts, you’d think that’s what he’s meaning.” is just bullsh1t.

Sorry, Ally. I've backed you on here for months, but this is cowardly. You're the one that watches the players every day and it is your call on who you can lose.

Man up.

Welcome to management.

This, have backed Ally 100% in his role but if he can't make these decisions then I'm afraid it's time to go.

Manager backs players. Nothing to criticise, although I say that in full knowledge that people will criticise regardless.

come on TWB. He is a manager, and part of that job is to do the dirty stuff whether or not you agree with it. Are you really saying he can and should ignore what his bosses say? He can support his players by all means, but if he has to cut the squad he should have a full involvement. If he isn't going to do that i.e. his job, then he should leave.

I said yesterday after knocking back the cuts Ally would be greeting about losing players.

He can't have it both ways.

Looks to me like he is now working his ticket and will do walking away after all.

Sobbing he had no choice no doubt.

I've backed him but I was disappointed by his lack of backbone over the AGM vote and this is the same thing.

It could be the best thing for the club if he left.

We can't have the manager dictating fiscal policy any more than we can have the board picking the team.

No doubt he will work on the fans outrage but that will just be worse in my opinion.

This reeks of weakness and being unprepared to take the tough decisions.

Cuts need to come from elsewhere in the business also, that cannot be denied, but the playing squad should not be exempt and the manager should take the lead in that if he receives those instructions. Ally says he has not received those instructions yet but has he got blinkers on if he thinks that saying he will play no part in it will make it go away?

Manager backs players. Nothing to criticise, although I say that in full knowledge that people will criticise regardless.

I hate Ally bashing as much (probably more than) anyone,but I think he is wrong here. It his his job to get the best for Rangers and he has got to be man enough to wield the shitty stick if it is needed.

He has got to be involved, he has got to make his voice heard, failing that the moneymen sell who they want and any balance we have gets lost and we are back to square 1. That is backing the players and Rangers.

The more we hear comments like this the more apparent it becomes that he hasn't got the ruthless streak that is required. The fans know who should go, the fans know who shouldn't have been signed, loyalty to his players is admirable but at times harsh decisions have to be made. That's why managers get paid the big bucks...

Open defiance of one's boss can and should result in only one sanction the one Alistair is working to bring about, after all he can't do walking away,

it was either him or guidis best mate who blabbed

my money is on our number 6

should hopefully get him the bullet too

It is surely better for Ally to MANAGE the cuts to his team as best he can.

If he wimps out he can have no complaints over what happens.

I have no doubts he will have steered the players into rejecting any cuts.

He is now finger pointing at the board to manipulate the fans to back him.

Could be a big mistake.

Ally is actually asking the board to keep spanking money up the wall.

Is he right ?

Not according to just about every single fan on all sides before the AGM.

Backing him now would be some back flip.