Mancini: I built current Manchester City team

Former Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini says he has played his part in the team's success this season.

Current boss Manuel Pellegrini has been credited with making City - who have scored 106 goals already this season - more attacking.

But Galatasaray coach Mancini, who left City last summer, says it is the players he bought who are responsible.

"I'm happy that Manchester City is one of the best teams in England because I built this team," Mancini, 49, said.

"The players that score the goals are players that I bought - Sergio Aguero, Edin Dzeko, Yaya Toure, David Silva and Samir Nasri."

After Mancini's departure, City recruited the likes of midfielder Fernandinho and striker Alvaro Negredo, who has already scored 23 goals in his first season.

Pellegrini is targeting an unprecedented quadruple of Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup and Capital One Cup.

The Chilean boss has secured City's path to the knockout stages of the Champions League, something Mancini failed to do in two attempts.

Former Lazio and Inter Milan boss Mancini, who joined City in December 2009, guided the team to success in the FA Cup in 2011 and the Premier League title a year later.

But after reportedly falling out with some of his players last season, he said he held no bitterness towards City over his sacking last summer, just days after his side were beaten by Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup final at Wembley.

"When you work, you know you can have some problem with the players, this is normal because the manager wants the players to work hard, play well and the players should understand this," he said.

"When you change the manager, it is better maybe, because you change the way to work.

"I think Pellegrini is doing a good job but what is happening now at Manchester City, we did three years ago. It's the same."

The Italian added: "I'm very happy about what I did in Manchester, I love the Manchester City supporters and I had a fantastic experience.

"After four or five years, maybe the manager needs to change team. I did my job, I built a fantastic team, we played fantastic football and we didn't win last year only because Manchester United bought Robin van Persie.

"He was the difference, if not I think that would have changed the history in Manchester over the last three years. We played really good football and now they are continuing to do this."

Mancini said City's form this season means that Manchester United need to restructure their squad if they are to continue to compete at the top of the Premier League alongside the likes of Chelsea and his former club.

"After many years, it's the time to refresh the team," he told BBC World Service. "Chelsea changed and bought some new players, City bought four or five new players."

But he also said he has sympathy for United manager David Moyes after their disappointing start to the season.

"He worked for 10 years at Everton and he did a really good job," said Mancini. "He is a good manager and I don't think he needs my advice.

Former Everton boss Moyes replaced Sir Alex Ferguson last summer following a period of unprecedented success for the club.

Mancini added it would be "difficult" for anyone to follow Ferguson and lead a club used to competing for major titles every season.

He got the ball rolling no doubt but City's attack is so much more deadly than last year.

Last season in the EPL they scored 66 goals in the whole season, currently after 22 games they have 63.

Mancini really chucked it in his final season and Pellegrini's arrival has helped to get Kompany / Yaya and Aguero back to their best (tu)

That's just crazy, he list his job because of the conflicts he had with some players, no point buying messi and Ronaldo if your gona treat them like shit, his management style was the problem, fergie hasn't come out and said "that Man U team who are Shute, I bought them"

I quite liked Bobby Manc but he had a pizza supper on his shoulder in his last season. Rumours of falling out with even the laundry staff and the tea ladies. The Cup Final v Wigan was imho player power at its best/ worse depending on your view point. He might have kept his job had the players bothered to win that cup.(not taking anything away from Wigan here they deserved to win on the day).But he had become a dictator and he had to be replaced.

Daddy Cool Pellegrini has given all the players a more relaxed place to work and an attacking mandate that they have grabbed and ran with this season.

They are a joy to watch and bobby manc is being a wee bit cheeky claiming its down to him.

Man City's bad transfer window cost him his job. They lost league winners Balotelli/De Jong/Johnson and didn't replace them, with net spend only £15m.

Their net spend this season is £95m with Negredo/Navas/Fernandinho/Jovetic/Demechelis/etc.