Young Will and his erudite pen.

bawsburst

January 24, 2014 - 5 Comments

Football Crazy And Football Reality

The abject state of Scottish football is amply demonstrated by the fact that the big talking points these days are mostly off-field matters.

The Rangers board makes a ham-fisted attempt to cut costs by proposing wage cuts for players – prompting a response from requisitioner Alex Wilson which for once made sense and wasn’t just board-bashing propaganda.

Super Ally, in the opinion of many, continues to work his ticket by practising brinkmanship in his media comments, almost defying the board to sack him.

Dave King throws in his regular six month soundbite to show us all how out of touch he really is with matters Rangers.Celtic continue to display their dominance of Scottish media by having themselves portrayed as galacticos with Celtic Park crammed with invisible fans – while the rest of the world including MPs, national media and the European Commission question the club’s involvement in state aid, soft loans and political scandal.

Tom English is taking a break from writing, thus making room for another rabid scribbler with anti-Rangers bias.

All these things are the talking points for football fans at the moment.

Remember we used to get excited about the actual football?

Maybe we will again one day, when Rangers return to the top flight.

The off-field issues faced by Rangers and Celtic come from the same place – both sides are struggling to cope by surviving outwith the Old Firm cartel.

Celtic fans are revelling in the media hype that the club is awash with cash, though the more astute ones are all too aware of the underlying realities that belie the propaganda. Putting aside the state aid matter and the possibility of punitive measures should the club be found guilty of receiving state aid, Celtic’s fiscal strategy largely relies on a good run in the Champions League and only a fantasist would deny that year-on-year Celtic’s squad is weakening, making this strategy increasingly difficult to pull off successfully.

Celtic’s romp to the Premiership title is actually an embarrassment to the club as it clearly shows the lack of credible competition. I might beat my six-year-old son at arm wrestling every time but it is hardly something to boast about.

Rangers are feeling the pinch and it is to be expected at this moment in time. The hype surrounding this is ridiculous. Yes, Rangers have to get expenditure down in line with reduced income at this moment in time. But rumours of the club’s demise are way off the mark. Even if cash flow reached alarming levels, I have seen cast-iron guarantees from investors that money would be made available to stave off disaster.

Let me emphasise, however – there is no chance of Rangers going under.

Prudent measures to slash costs must not be confused with desperation. It might help Rangers-haters sell their papers but it is fantasy fiction.

Again, Rangers’ financial state can directly be linked to the club’s not being in the top tier and going toe-to-toe with their Glasgow rivals.

I am aware when I write about these matters it irks supporters from both sides. Especially when I use the hated term of the Old Firm.

However, for the long-term future of our game here in Scotland it looks like it will be necessary for both clubs to revisit the cartel that served them so profitably for over a century.

Monetising the Rangers-Celtic rivalry is the key to financial survival and prosperity for Scottish football.

" I have seen cast-iron guarantees from investors that money would be made available to stave off disaster."

aye. ok then......what investors and what guarentees have you seen Billy boy ?

anyone remember Alex Cameron in the Record saying he had an envelope in his desk with names in it ?

" I have seen cast-iron guarantees from investors that money would be made available to stave off disaster."

aye. ok then......what investors and what guarentees have you seen Billy boy ?

anyone remember Alex Cameron in the Record saying he had an envelope in his desk with names in it ?

Yes it was his own name, he was known to forget after a few sherbits, a real sports journalist sadly missed and remembered with great respect.

It wasn't too bad, if that was in a newspaper that is. If it's just another blog, then it's just another blog.

Sorry Dutchy, but that same blog has allowed PZJ a platform to reveal to all Bears the under handed land for loans scandal, and the GCC involvement in such deals going on at Lies-Are -Us stadium. So it is not at this time, just a "Blog". :7325: