Situation Abnormal

D'Artagnan

Those of us who have been following PZJ's investigation into allegations of State Aid offered to Celtic FC by Glasgow Greater Council, will be aware of a common theme emerging – an apparent failure or reluctance by GCC to provide information relating to abnormal conditions on some of the sites surveyed.

Earlier this month I commented on the strange tale of the District Valuer brought in by Glasgow City Council to provide valuations in respect of several portions of land being considered for sale by GCC some of which were eventually sold to Celtic.

Alas it's not only the District Valuer who is being kept in the dark with regard to these abnormal conditions but also our very own PZJ. His request for the geotechnical reports relating to the abnormal conditions present at these sites has been refused by GCC.

On the 16th October 2013 he asked GCC for the geotechnical report to be released and was met with the following reply :-

“As advised in our earlier letter to you of 11 September 2013, in accordance the decision of the Court of Session set out in Glasgow City Council and Dundee City Council v Scottish Information [2009] CSIH 73, you have the right to the information set out in a requested document, but not to the actual document itself. We therefore provided you with an extract from the geotechnical report and set out the basis upon which a valuation was agreed for the site. I agree with the decision that was made in our earlier response to release an extract of the report to you. “

In keeping with many local authorities Glasgow City Council is committed to improving transparency and engagement :-

http://www.gcvs.org...._and_engagement

in fact it claims to be “groundbreaking” in it's approach to openness

http://data.glasgow.gov.uk/

However it is neither transparent nor groundbreaking to hide behind previous decisions of the Court of Session in order to prevent the disclosure of information. It only serves to highlight ones suspicions and concerns as to what is actually contained within the report .

Surely a complete disclosure would negate once and for all any suggestion of impropriety over this sale, and in addition completely usurp any wild and unsubstantiated claims the abnormals had been exaggerated in order to reduce the price.

At Westhorn for instance the abnormal conditions were agreed at £3,515,000. What exactly does that relate to and what is present in or on the land which reduces £4,190,000 worth of property to a measly £675,000 ?

One is almost minded of the case of Erin Brockovich.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely there must be a way of forcing GCC to disclose this information in its entirety, as taxpayers we should be allowed access to any relevant reports. To my way of thinking if there was enough concerns about the geological reports to reduce the value by that amount then what use was it put to? and if it was built on was the problems so serious that concrete rafts had to be poured to enable building work to commence, if not show us the report.

Glad to see your on the case D'Art, maybe PZJ should set up a donations page then hire a solicitor

to request access to these documents I'm sure quite a few of us would happily chip in.

Its PZJ who is on the case - Im too busy with HMRC !

My hope would be the EU investigators would be requiring them as part of their preliminary investigation - there is only so much can be achieved from FOI - the rest is up to the investigators bud.

I admire your indefatigablility d'art but I suspect GCC are treating you like an irritable rash, and just hope you'll go away.

Its PZJ who is pursuing this and deserves all the credit - but I have a feeling you are right - they wish he would just go away.

But he wont.

I think the only way to break through this "wall of obfuscation" is to get a heavyweight on board, perhaps a political figure, perhaps a legal brain, high profile and not afraid to ask - and keep asking - until all the layers are peeled back and the rotten core is exposed.

Very important that the club be distanced from this as we know how that will be twisted by Liewell and his acolytes.

Needs to be driven by supporters seeking "clarification" (sic) in the name of "sporting integrity" (sic again)

In an ideal world, a serious investigative journalist would see this story as a career-making opportunity and give it the full Woodward and Bernstein treatment.

Sadly, in this country today, there is simply no chance of journalistic integrity.

Its PZJ who is pursuing this and deserves all the credit - but I have a feeling you are right - they wish he would just go away.

But he wont.

well my salutations apply to you both and any other Bear pursuing justice for our club, it's more than the club are prepared to do.

We owe you all our gratitude.

A lot of people seem to think that it's other countries that are corrupt, but this country has to be the oldest and longest running bunch of self-interested crooks anywhere else in the world. Maybe thee are some other European countries equalling the corruption, although I can't think off the top of my head which ones.

What were all going to do when the supporters of the roman church get total and complete power is anyone's guess.

If GCC are snubbing, delaying or ignoring FOI requests that are being made regarding the land deals etc,

and, if they are legally obliged to comply and provide the information requested, then we should have a legal team working for us who will drag their arses through the courts.

Do we still have funds available in the RFFF?

This would be the perfect way to use that money.

Any chance of mates rates Mr Findlay?

On the 16th October 2013 he asked GCC for the geotechnical report to be released and was met with the following reply :-

“As advised in our earlier letter to you of 11 September 2013, in accordance the decision of the Court of Session set out in Glasgow City Council and Dundee City Council v Scottish Information [2009] CSIH 73, you have the right to the information set out in a requested document, but not to the actual document itself. We therefore provided you with an extract from the geotechnical report and set out the basis upon which a valuation was agreed for the site. I agree with the decision that was made in our earlier response to release an extract of the report to you. “

FFS, where are these documents kept, and how much would it cost to grease someones palm to get hold of them.

Its what has been going on against us for the last cpl of years. (hmrc etc)

We need to learn to fight dirty.

"an apparent failure or reluctance by GCC to provide information relating to abnormal conditions on some of the sites surveyed."

Perhaps a new angle is required here. They see these requests as attacks by Rangers fans, what if hey were re-structured as requests on health and safety grounds? In other words did the abnormal conditions pose a heath problem, and what actions have been taken if any to negate this problem for the future? You see it's easy to stonewall requests from football fans, it may not be so easy if there was and still is a health risk to the citizens of Glasgow.