Police Scotland Question

Malvern

Some appalling comments in this thread - so much for the "Rangers Family".

Firstly just because there is no video evidence - there is doubt as to whether it actually happened ? A poster on this site witnessed it first hand.

Secondly this type of incident has happened before at which time what was then Strathclyde Police released a statement to the effect that the flags representing the home counties of the UK were not banned.

Yes we are a Scottish club - with a considerable following who come from Northern Ireland - and normally such a trip for them involves greater committment in terms of financial outlay, time and sacrifice than those of us who are based in Scotland make.

Some of the comments in this thread demonstrate why both club and support are such easy pickings.

Shameful.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No its not Steve.

There is specific legislation with regarding bottles of juice - it pertains to "controlled containers" being allowed in football matches, which if thrown could cause injury.

Is a Capri Sun a controlled container? Would it hurt a player if thrown?

Go look up the legislation and decide for yourself.

So there is an element of opinion used in the legislation? If so, would that also be the same for the sectarian legislation? If that copper deemed the RHOU as sectarian, was he wrong in confiscating it?

So there is an element of opinion used in the legislation? If so, would that also be the same for the sectarian legislation? If that copper deemed the RHOU as sectarian, was he wrong in confiscating it?

I would suggest discretion was a better term than opinion.

Given Strathclyde Police's previous statement on the matter of the flags then his actions are contrary to that statement. That's neither opinion nor discretion.

I would suggest discretion was a better term than opinion.

Given Strathclyde Police's previous statement on the matter of the flags then his actions are contrary to that statement. That's neither opinion nor discretion.

Absolutely correct - discretion it is.

I have never heard of that statement you speak of and unless that was made an official communication to all officers who attend games, the officer might not have seen it also? That would then mean he used his discretion, does it not?

One of the points made in here is that the officer might have done this simply because he was of RC faith. Is that where we are heading? Everyone who chooses to do something that annoys us, we tag them as Catholics? You're happy with that, are you?

Some appalling comments in this thread - so much for the "Rangers Family".

Firstly just because there is no video evidence - there is doubt as to whether it actually happened ? A poster on this site witnessed it first hand.

Secondly this type of incident has happened before at which time what was then Strathclyde Police released a statement to the effect that the flags representing the home counties of the UK were not banned.

Yes we are a Scottish club - with a considerable following who come from Northern Ireland - and normally such a trip for them involves greater committment in terms of financial outlay, time and sacrifice than those of us who are based in Scotland make.

Some of the comments in this thread demonstrate why both club and support are such easy pickings.

Shameful.

Without concrete proof I'm not going to get worked up about a situation that is devoid of context. I'm saying the op is a liar, far from it. Fans get far too worked up over word of mouth these days.

I have never heard of that statement you speak of and unless that was made an official communication to all officers who attend games, the officer might not have seen it also? That would then mean he used his discretion, does it not?

One of the points made in here is that the officer might have done this simply because he was of RC faith. Is that where we are heading? Everyone who chooses to do something that annoys us, we tag them as Catholics? You're happy with that, are you?

No that would mean he acted in a manner which was contrary to their own previously issued guidelines.

Without concrete proof I'm not going to get worked up about a situation that is devoid of context. I'm saying the op is a liar, far from it. Fans get far too worked up over word of mouth these days.

Simon

I dont think its devoid of context - I think its of concern giving the circumstances which have been reported.

Cool heads are required - but the situation requires to be clarified.

That line confusses me, without going down the route of calling the officer an RC , by what discretional judgement would a serving Police Officer believe that removal of the RHoU flag from Ibrox was a good idea or in accordance with official Police Scotland policy. Clarity needs to be saught as to what is and is not allowed within the grounds of Ibrox and not some law which generally allows the Police the same powers as Stop and Search which is grey in legal terms and can be abused by some if they are so inclined (as your highlighted part quoted is a possible cause of this "not proven" issue). we have a couple of NI players who appeared at the game and this flag represents NI in the CWG's and International duties, why therefore is it now "banned" in Scotland for SPFL league matches? Have the SPFL an official stance on this?

As to the Capri Sun incident, previously mentioned, then that is the discretion of the stewards/Police on the gate, a bit overly strict but can happen I suppose, when I was a steward I think I would have overlooked that one but that was my call at the time. General rule of thumb for that used to be as long as it was not tampered with it could be allowed (open with a straw in it would not get in for example).

The liquid container ban was due to either alcohol being hidden within innocent looking containers (vodka mixed in a Coke Bottle, etc) or, as previously mentioned by others, can be used as a weapon to throw at opposing fans/players. However the obvious flaw with this latter point is that coins and lighters have been used in the past, but I suppose there is only so much you can do at one time, after all if you buy something you will possibly get change.

Concerning the vendors selling these items, perhaps they should highlight the fact that these items may or may not be banned at the gate, depends on the copper/steward you get,that is a fairly ludicrous situation in a country where the law of the land is for all and to be observed by all, even those dispensing it.....

I see your point and I hope you meant your not calling me a liar, but the fact that others have corroborated this (true we do not know them but have no reason to think they are liars either) and it is a highly believable situation at our matches nowadays, it is hardly surprising some are asking for action to be clarrified and a stance taken to defend ourselves.

As has been mentioned by me before, where is this clarification on which songs are sectarian and which are not? Have we not asked long enough from both sides of the devide now for such clarity? Any fool (SNP in this case) can make a law, only the legal system can oversee a good law (even Sheriffs in this country question the legitimacy of this current piece of legislation).

I think the one thing we can all agree on here is that we need clarification from the police and or the club to what is unacceptable or offensive. We as paying supporters should not have to risk public embarrassment or confiscation of property ,or for that matter the judgement of king Solomon as do you enter Ibrox or stick to your beliefs of what is right or wrong.

Would it hurt anyone to produce easy to read instructions on boards approaching the turnstiles?.

Are they frightened of writing what is policy for fear of a backlash?

I think the one thing we can all agree on here is that we need clarification from the police and or the club to what is unacceptable or offensive. We as paying supporters should not have to risk public embarrassment or confiscation of property ,or for that matter the judgement of king Solomon as do you enter Ibrox or stick to your beliefs of what is right or wrong.

Would it hurt anyone to produce easy to read instructions on boards approaching the turnstiles?.

we played linfield last season plenty RHOU was not a prolem then why now

Funny thing is , sometimes when watching TV, the announcer will notify the audience, that the programme they are about to view, may cause some viewers offence, Ie; bad language, scenes of a sexual nature etc., thereby allowing the viewer to watch said programme, or not.

The object of this exercise being, choice, to be offended or not. If only it were the case at football matches, sadly, it is not the case.

This outrageous decision by a police officer at a football match, where the rival support is outnumbered by the sets of goalposts in Ibrox. So who is in the stadium to be faux offended? This can only ever be classed as stupidity at best, or the said policeman having anti-NI sympathies, and a bigoted point of view, at worst. Both views are unacceptable, and should be investigated by the police, via a complaint, and likewise by Rangers.

Maybe we should take a similar stance as the TV programmers,and put up large signs at football matches, declaring that, When you enter the stadium you may be offended by what you see or hear,from the opposing support,and are advised by all authorities concerned, that you have the right to enter.......... or not. Thereby allowing everybody a choice, to be offended..... or not.

Note: When i say offended, I mean, by other supporters......... Not by what is sometimes offered on the field of play. :7325:

Wouldn't a phone call be far more conveniant?

|

Some things are better said in writing.

In reference to someone else...bottles have, for as long as I have been going to games, not been allowed into stadia. A flag is not harmful in any way and cannot be used as a weapon.

I find it ridiculous that flags are being confiscated. Especially ones of nations in our home country whereas the tri colour is a foreign flag. However, I believe that Celtic fans used to frequently fly Palestinian flags despite having an Israeli player. Surely the Police should see that as being hateful and offensive if they are wanting to be picky? As, of course, the situation between Israel and Palestine is a sectarian war.

This will not happen as the police will tell you they don't make a judgement as to whats offensive they leave that to others. The club will be reticent to comment and would direct you to the police as they are not bound just by the clubs rulings.

I'm hoping the officer gave a proper justification to the fan he confiscated it from and that a shoulder number was taken such that a proper complaint could be made and taken to the last possible step. This is the only way this will stop. Give them the pleasure of having to justify their actions again and again and they will soon stop as it involves endless hours of paperwork and they realise their pettiness causes them far more trouble than its worth.

And their club would be demanding answers .

When have Rangers stuck up for fans in recent years? The one continuing aspect that transcends owners, CEO,s Chairmen or board members is the shocking lack of backbone when these kind of things happen, a clear discrimination by the police on political grounds yet Rangers never help one bit. The scum do help their fans probably way too much which is why the upside down banner brigade got so out of hand but surely Rangers could stick up for us now and again at least.

put the police on their oath. they swore an oath as a police "constable" to uphold the common law. They did not swear an oath as an "officer" to uphold the statutes, acts and bylaws. If there has been no crime commited then they are you equal unless you agree to give away your rights.

Yes he was be wrong, they were wrong to do it at the last NI Scotland game and when the NI fans stood up to them they ended up giving a humble apology.

This flag is the official flag of my country, despite the twisted opinion of your BBC friend Connor. Just because the NI government was replaced by direct rule in the 70's it does not follow that every organisation formed, government and private, and every law passed was abolished.

Using your and Connors logic there was no Scotland or Wales flag until they got devolution and there is no England flag.

No other flag represents the unique political entity that is NI.

Unionists would be open to the idea of a new flag that would be more agreeable to everyone but there is a problem. Bitter republicans will not participate because it would mean they would have to recognise NI as a country. They cant even say NI, its da nort or six counties. They didn't even like Connors Irish tricolour with a baby red hand in your video clip. The BBC NIs Connor did not address this issue as it is not in his nature to question his own.

This flag will be leading out the NI team at Celtic Park for the games this summer and will be raised for all NI medal winners.

Will the Glasgow police cuff and arrest the athletes in front of the worlds media?

I would really like to know.

I will be bringing a NI flag and camera to every game I attend for the rest of the season. Challenging one of these goons would give me more pleasure than watching the team these days.

For those who doubted the validity of this incident, please see the reply below which was received By Albertz from Police Scotland

Sir,

I have tried to contact you by mobile to discuss your email further. The incident which you reported occurred at the football at the weekend and the officer involved has had corrective advice given to him regarding his actions. It was an error on the officers part and should not have happened. I can only apologise on his behalf and would ask that if you have any details of the male who had his flag removed that you send it to me to allow me to speak to him direct.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me direct on the telephone number provided below.

Regards

Eileen Taylor

Eileen Taylor

Operational Planning Department

Helen Street

Glasgow

Tel - 0141 532 5402

Issi - 6406999