The McCoist manual of tactics

roger9650

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and held this club together for many months virtually on his own. Doesn't he deserve some loyalty?

his 750k a year for managing our club in the diddy leagues is quite probably enough, also how disrespectful are you being to the many MANY fans that came together and actually did hold this club together until greens guys came in with the cold hard cash to keep the club together, when ordinary joe bloggs fans were donating what little of their spare money (some probably missed a few bill payments here and there) to pay for tickets, merchandise, hospitality and top up the RFFF, what was ally doing except taking home a wage, albeit reduced, was still more than a lot of the punter earn in a month or more

now no money to continue to build.

he's had enough, near 13million quid in player wages to win two leagues inhabited by guys that work full time outwith football, no other manager has ever outspent his opponents by so much in scottish football, again the fans are suffering because ally has wasted what he was offered

You can't preach loyalty and then turn on one of our greatest players.

players is the defining word there, his managerial credentials before taking the gig were non existent, and since he got the job his stock has fallen with repeated abysmal results in domestic cups and leagues

Not sure, but I achieved a first class batchelors honours degree myself

Anyway Albert GOAT Einstein I don't think you're reading my posts properly.

I'm actually, like you, critical of Ally. I don't think he's going to cut it. But who knows I (and you) may be wrong and he might just become a very good manager once the proper conditions are in place.

I'm arguing that he DESERVES the chance to make Rangers top of the pile again. My argument is based on his loyal service to this club. Remember the banner seven years ago ."when duty called they came" Ally gave up a lucrative media career to serve the club he loved. The circumstances he has endured have been remarkable to say the least.

We all rip into the traitors for no loyalty. And although I think Ally is not up to it he still at this point deserves our loyalty - 355 times over!

Comprende!

So basically blind loyalty.

So basically blind loyalty.

No! If he's not good enough he will go, like every other manager. In fact, I would guess that Ally will know when that time is.

But how many managers have had all that's been thrown at him over the last couple of years??

He deserves more time, with some decent support from the Board just like any other manager must have.

Ally is only the 13th manager we have had in almost 142 years. That's probably unique in world football.

He deserves more time but not limitless amounts.

How many goals do we think ally would have scored under his current team set-up?

200 maybe?

How many goals do we think ally would have scored under his current team set-up?

200 maybe?

He would have been off with the rest of them.

Didn't he admit this a while back?

RM headline news, Goat admits McCoist isn't to blame for something...

Geez peace, there's nothing you can slag McCoist for as a player, apart from maybe turning us down at the start of his career, but I couldn't care about that. It's McCoist the manager and the fact he's dragging us to a level that might take us years to get out of that you should be worrying about. But it's okay he's Super Ally, who cares eh?

Mental replies on here.

McCoist single handidly held Rangers together during admin....No he didn't.

Paying fans can't air their disatisfaction at the utter bore fest we are treated with every week wihtout being labbled Ally haters or whatever other stupid catch phrase is doing the rounds.

Mental replies on here.

McCoist single handidly held Rangers together during admin....No he didn't.

Paying fans can't air their disatisfaction at the utter bore fest we are treated with every week wihtout being labbled Ally haters or whatever other stupid catch phrase is doing the rounds.

Funny that because when the shoe is on the other foot and paying fans are called handwringers etc the silence is deafening.

Ally and yellow teeth are the two most fortunate managers to grace Scottish Football. Both have been handed on a plate an opportunity to rack up win after win after win and given League success by proxy.

Anybody who thinks either of them is a good manager, needs their head seen to.

I believe that Amy McDonald could have managed us last 2 years and won the league. And I'm being serious. (tu)

I just dont know why there is so much anger aimed at McCoist.

Just to answer some of the questions posed over the last couple of days, if McCoist was ANYBODY else, I would still be giving that person the same support as I extend to McCoist. If Paul le Guen was manager during this last 3 year period, had stuck with us through the administration and the acquisition, had stayed while we lost most of our first team and then worked hard to rebuild that squad and secured the league victories while playing mostly shite football then PLG would have my support. Until he failed in his given objectives.

I think one of the major questions that doesn't seem to be answered by those so passionately calling for McCoist to walk, is who should take over. I have heard Stuart McCall, Terry Butcher, someone even suggested Steven Pressley the other day. It is impossible to debate a hypothetical situation with anything other than opinions and really when debating unsubstantiated opinions people should try to contain their anger and vitriol. But seriously what have any of those three managers done to make us think that they would do a better job than McCoist. Indeed what managers out there now would accept the job with Rangers and deliver a better footballing ethos than McCoist?

I read some serious criticism about McCoist's attitude towards youth and how before we were cash strapped we had a number of youth players coming through in Ness, McCabe, Wylde and Wilson but that now we have less. This seems to overlook that each of those youngsters named went on to play under different managers and none have done anything noteworthy. So how can this be considered a blight on McCoist. In the last two years, McCoist has given real opportunities to Hutton, McKay, McLeod, Crawford and Aird. Those players have had varying degrees of success with those opportunities afforded them and some may yet go on to be mainstays for us. He has also given every chance to Andy Little, while no youth player anymore, is still a player that is not and was not a finished article when given his chance.

I believe that there is a severe dearth of talented youngsters in British (not just Scottish) football, and it seems that some expect McCoist to be able to coach and develop talented footballers out of any boy that is with us. You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear and you can't lay the blame of a failure to develop talented youth at Ally McCoist, that is grass roots failings, get your sons off the playstation or Xbox and out playing football. With the best will in the world, if the talent is not there then you cant expect to invent it, at least not unless you start at the level of kids football which takes years and requires investment. All that, at a time when we got rid of our scouting network!! (albeit our scouting network was shite anyway, but that is another debate)

Following on from that thought process, I see criticism leveled at the players he has brought in, which again is fair, opinion-based discussion. Some have been good signings and some have flopped. Some, we as fans, didn't want and some we were happy with. We were happy to be signing Templeton and Shiels, both of whom seem to be failing to deliver on the most part. We weren't so happy with Black or Daly. We were happy with Clarke and Law, not so happy with Foster and Smith. But given that we are operating in the lower leagues, and that we have to bring in Bosman's, what were people expecting? I know they were expecting the youth development but see above for that.

People repeatedly point to the standard of the opposition, e.g. brickies and plumbers, but it is my opinion, open to debate, that that does those guys an injustice. We are not talking here about the 70s when the lower league football teams were full time workers who liked a kick about at the weekend. These guys take care of themselves, they are fit, talented guys. This is not your average joe like the ones posting on here and playing 5s on a Tuesday night. Some of these guys are seasoned journeymen or up and coming pros, guys that were on the books of some professional clubs, they are educated in diet and training. They work on tactics and they are cohesive units. Add all that to the fact that as a unit, they are playing the game of their lives with absolutely nothing to lose and you see what the result is. Blood curdling challenges, high intensity pressing and 9 times out of ten a defeat but often with the result of a dire spectacle. It is not impossible to play good football in these circumstances but in my opinion it is much harder than some think which is why we only occasionally manage it

Anyway, I guess my main point is I don't understand why all these points cannot be debated in a reasoned and opinion based manner without the need to call each other taigs and without the need to slander the current manager.

The upshot of all my ramblings is that McCoist is going nowhere until he fails to deliver the results and rightly so in my opinion. Whether McCoist has what it takes to deliver the big prize with resources afforded to him will be evident with time, if he fails he will go, until then can't we just debate the points without the anger and without the disrespect?

Just to answer some of the questions posed over the last couple of days, if McCoist was ANYBODY else, I would still be giving that person the same support as I extend to McCoist. If Paul le Guen was manager during this last 3 year period, had stuck with us through the administration and the acquisition, had stayed while we lost most of our first team and then worked hard to rebuild that squad and secured the league victories while playing mostly shite football then PLG would have my support. Until he failed in his given objectives.

I think one of the major questions that doesn't seem to be answered by those so passionately calling for McCoist to walk, is who should take over. I have heard Stuart McCall, Terry Butcher, someone even suggested Steven Pressley the other day. It is impossible to debate a hypothetical situation with anything other than opinions and really when debating unsubstantiated opinions people should try to contain their anger and vitriol. But seriously what have any of those three managers done to make us think that they would do a better job than McCoist. Indeed what managers out there now would accept the job with Rangers and deliver a better footballing ethos than McCoist?

I read some serious criticism about McCoist's attitude towards youth and how before we were cash strapped we had a number of youth players coming through in Ness, McCabe, Wylde and Wilson but that now we have less. This seems to overlook that each of those youngsters named went on to play under different managers and none have done anything noteworthy. So how can this be considered a blight on McCoist. In the last two years, McCoist has given real opportunities to Hutton, McKay, McLeod, Crawford and Aird. Those players have had varying degrees of success with those opportunities afforded them and some may yet go on to be mainstays for us. He has also given every chance to Andy Little, while no youth player anymore, is still a player that is not and was not a finished article when given his chance.

I believe that there is a severe dearth of talented youngsters in British (not just Scottish) football, and it seems that some expect McCoist to be able to coach and develop talented footballers out of any boy that is with us. You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear and you can't lay the blame of a failure to develop talented youth at Ally McCoist, that is grass roots failings, get your sons off the playstation or Xbox and out playing football. With the best will in the world, if the talent is not there then you cant expect to invent it, at least not unless you start at the level of kids football which takes years and requires investment. All that, at a time when we got rid of our scouting network!! (albeit our scouting network was shite anyway, but that is another debate)

Following on from that thought process, I see criticism leveled at the players he has brought in, which again is fair, opinion-based discussion. Some have been good signings and some have flopped. Some, we as fans, didn't want and some we were happy with. We were happy to be signing Templeton and Shiels, both of whom seem to be failing to deliver on the most part. We weren't so happy with Black or Daly. We were happy with Clarke and Law, not so happy with Foster and Smith. But given that we are operating in the lower leagues, and that we have to bring in Bosman's, what were people expecting? I know they were expecting the youth development but see above for that.

People repeatedly point to the standard of the opposition, e.g. brickies and plumbers, but it is my opinion, open to debate, that that does those guys an injustice. We are not talking here about the 70s when the lower league football teams were full time workers who liked a kick about at the weekend. These guys take care of themselves, they are fit, talented guys. This is not your average joe like the ones posting on here and playing 5s on a Tuesday night. Some of these guys are seasoned journeymen or up and coming pros, guys that were on the books of some professional clubs, they are educated in diet and training. They work on tactics and they are cohesive units. Add all that to the fact that as a unit, they are playing the game of their lives with absolutely nothing to lose and you see what the result is. Blood curdling challenges, high intensity pressing and 9 times out of ten a defeat but often with the result of a dire spectacle. It is not impossible to play good football in these circumstances but in my opinion it is much harder than some think which is why we only occasionally manage it

Anyway, I guess my main point is I don't understand why all these points cannot be debated in a reasoned and opinion based manner without the need to call each other taigs and without the need to slander the current manager.

The upshot of all my ramblings is that McCoist is going nowhere until he fails to deliver the results and rightly so in my opinion. Whether McCoist has what it takes to deliver the big prize with resources afforded to him will be evident with time, if he fails he will go, until then can't we just debate the points without the anger and without the disrespect?

Because people can't be reasonable without having a go at others for their opinions on the internet. So they'll get the abuse back they give to me. Too many people think because they're on the internet they can say what they want. I guarantee most are wee shitebags on the street.

I agree with most of what you say MB, but Ally did'nt leave a lucrative job to come to us. He came back as part of Walter's coaching squad after a stint with the national team, did he not ?

He has , and still is, being paid handsomely by us, for the privilege of being in his dream job, is he not ?

I personally do not know any one who actually hates Ally, not even scum. But the way he sets our team out to play, must allways be open to criticism, as it would be with any manager who takes the prime spot at Rangers.

As far as loyalty comes into the equation, Ally has not been in short supply of that commodity, In all his positions at Ibrox, by the majority of our very outspoken support, whether it be on fans forums or otherwise. We all know and love his playing days.

The bottom line is, he has been given nearly three seasons to prove to us he has what it takes (Six if you count as Walter's understudy) to be the one to take us back to the top, and up till now has not came up to most fans' expectations, and for that reason, and that reason alone, I believe that even Ally would have to concede that to be the source of all criticism from the fans' to date. We all know it has not been an easy journey these past two years, but it has been mostly us fans', who have either had to pay financially or even more so, emotionally. So the fans must be allowed their vastly differing opinions to be vented, and a large amount do so, in this modern age, via online forums, and each is entitled to. Some just come over stronger than others, such is life. :7325:

1. If you're in your own half, pass the ball back to the player you got it from.

2. If you can't do that pass it back to the keeper, he'll lump it upfield. Never mind that you had possession and now you haven't.

3. Opposition corners and free kicks are incredibly dangerous moments (even more so when sitting on a healthy lead), so put aside any thoughts of creating a counter attack. Get every one back, especially players renowned for being great defenders, ie forwards, so you'll then be well prepared for any clearance to come straight back.

4. There's nothing more you need to know.

This gave me a good laugh, lol, good post

Good post mate