Are our team being coached as opposed to trained?

Adoniram

Not really, McCoist was a coach and Assistant manager for years for both Rangers and Scotland.

For what it's worth, I think McCoist' true strengths are as a coach, I wasn't sure he was cut out for the step up to manager.

He is an ideal assistant,

He is a great go between from manager to players and vice versa.

He would make training fun and a good place to be, not sure than he can combine that with the real hard work that needs done, That is the key factor.

I played under several managers and that balance is important

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think any of them are decent coaches.

That may be because he and Durrant came to the fore during the years of high expenditure where lack of tactics and strategy were not so sel-evident because we bought players who could make things happen....so they don't know any better.

Whatever way it cuts we are not getting value for money and anyone involved in performance management will tell you that we need to prepare for the future not live in the moment. Unfortunately it would appear that we only know how to spend money therefore when there isn't any, any failings will highlight themselves at a higher level.

Alas, you seem to have forgotten that word.......credibility.

If you are not a professional chef (to use your analogy) then you have no credibility to criticize a chef.

That is totally different to saying that what the trained chef prepared was not to your particular taste. In short...your analogy is wrong.

A nice try at twisting it to suit your agenda but all chefs receive critique from food critics and some restaurants fall on their arse because of poor reviews. These critics are not professional chefs, yet still hold credibility.

Michael Stewart has trained with Man Utd whilst being managed and coached by Sir Alex Ferguson - one of the most successful managers in the World, to date. He has also had the privilege of seeing Rangers from the inside, during his youth days - managed and coached by John McGregor - whilst seeing the first team being managed and coached by Walter Smith during the business end of NIAR.

You do not need to be an outstanding manager to understand good coaching techniques and you certainly do not need to hold a Uefa badge to understand when a system of play is missing from a team.

As for the subject of the clip, I fully support what was said - apart from the first nugget who called in and stated we were a new club. I could sense the beaming smile on Graham Spiers face when that was said!

As discussed by the crew, Ally plays the big man with the media and likes to discuss his relationship with the board, right up to the point where it gets on dodgy ground with poor financial management and he immediately changes back into his managers jacket - knowing nothing of the finances. As said on the program, if he is earning £750k per year and his CEO is stating that they have discussed ALL aspects of Rangers, then Ally surely knows about the financial mess we have.

Having enjoyed many a year as a youth team co-manager, I know all too well about the difference between a manager and a coach. I was happy to manage the squad on all aspects other than the training drills - as I am not a coach and would not kid myself that I was. We had a couple of great coaches at the club, who were also available to manage the team on match days. The differences to them and I? They could take a formation and system, agreed by all managers, and implement the training to suit. Drills were put in place to get the guys accustomed to the style of play and a backup style was also coached. That backup would only be used if the style of play from the opposition was countering ours.

Taking all the Ally bashing out of your mind and opening your mind. Can you really say that you have seen a system played by Ally McCoist? Have you seen a plan B?

If we are to also believe Graham Spiers, he is on record within that clip stating that a top flight manager had mentioned to him, previously, that Rangers do not appear to be a coached team.

As much as I loved Ian Durrant the player, I do not rate the coach. I cannot see Ian taking guidance from Ally and coaching the players to a system. Give him a whistle, some bibs and a football and I am sure he could take a practice session and make it fun, but to instill a system? Nah!

The assistant managers' CV is impressive and I do suspect he could coach a system, so I have to wonder if the manager has one in mind? Is Ally one of those managers that focuses more on fitness than coaching?

A nice try at twisting it to suit your agenda but all chefs receive critique from food critics and some restaurants fall on their arse because of poor reviews. These critics are not professional chefs, yet still hold credibility.

Michael Stewart has trained with Man Utd whilst being managed and coached by Sir Alex Ferguson - one of the most successful managers in the World, to date. He has also had the privilege of seeing Rangers from the inside, during his youth days - managed and coached by John McGregor - whilst seeing the first team being managed and coached by Walter Smith during the business end of NIAR.

You do not need to be an outstanding manager to understand good coaching techniques and you certainly do not need to hold a Uefa badge to understand when a system of play is missing from a team.

As for the subject of the clip, I fully support what was said - apart from the first nugget who called in and stated we were a new club. I could sense the beaming smile on Graham Spiers face when that was said!

As discussed by the crew, Ally plays the big man with the media and likes to discuss his relationship with the board, right up to the point where it gets on dodgy ground with poor financial management and he immediately changes back into his managers jacket - knowing nothing of the finances. As said on the program, if he is earning £750k per year and his CEO is stating that they have discussed ALL aspects of Rangers, then Ally surely knows about the financial mess we have.

Having enjoyed many a year as a youth team co-manager, I know all too well about the difference between a manager and a coach. I was happy to manage the squad on all aspects other than the training drills - as I am not a coach and would not kid myself that I was. We had a couple of great coaches at the club, who were also available to manage the team on match days. The differences to them and I? They could take a formation and system, agreed by all managers, and implement the training to suit. Drills were put in place to get the guys accustomed to the style of play and a backup style was also coached. That backup would only be used if the style of play from the opposition was countering ours.

Taking all the Ally bashing out of your mind and opening your mind. Can you really say that you have seen a system played by Ally McCoist? Have you seen a plan B?

If we are to also believe Graham Spiers, he is on record within that clip stating that a top flight manager had mentioned to him, previously, that Rangers do not appear to be a coached team.

As much as I loved Ian Durrant the player, I do not rate the coach. I cannot see Ian taking guidance from Ally and coaching the players to a system. Give him a whistle, some bibs and a football and I am sure he could take a practice session and make it fun, but to instill a system? Nah!

The assistant managers' CV is impressive and I do suspect he could coach a system, so I have to wonder if the manager has one in mind? Is Ally one of those managers that focuses more on fitness than coaching?

outstanding piece (tu)

He's got a point though, and he could easily turn around and use the 'this ex-pundit of Question of sport is really clueless when it comes to coaching and tactics' truth.

Let's ignore his years playing. Has years as Smith's assist and and his successes as manager and degenerate him down to a QOf sport pundit and let's listen to reject Stewart !?

You know those as well as I do but you find them easy to discount - so easy in fact you'de listen to someone like Michael Stewart rather than back our manager - how sad is that!

find me one post where i have said i listened to the piece in the OP and agreed with it,

now that that is out the way, can you list ally's successes as gaffer please, simple bullet points will do thanks (tu)

the training regime follows pretty much exactly what EPL teams do.

Compulsory training over,it`s up to the individual player to go back in the afternoon to practice.

Beckham used to go back afternoons with the MU reserve goalkeeper and work on his crossing and free kicks.

If Rangers players are just doing the bare minimum required then it shows a lack of interest and desire to improve.

Let's ignore his years playing. Has years as Smith's assist and and his successes as manager and degenerate him down to a QOf sport pundit and let's listen to reject Stewart !?

As the subject matter is questioning Ally as a coach, with his tactics, can you explain where his plan b was in his first year? He inherited a system and players who knew that system. Those players were flying to another title win, being 15 points clear at the new year stage, yet that lead was lost rapidly by teams who had picked up on our strengths and weaknesses. Ally showed absolutely no ability to stop that with a plan b, but the 15 points deduction due to administration buffered the impact of Ally and his players inability to close in on the title.

As the subject matter is questioning Ally as a coach, with his tactics, can you explain where his plan b was in his first year? He inherited a system and players who knew that system. Those players were flying to another title win, being 15 points clear at the new year stage, yet that lead was lost rapidly by teams who had picked up on our strengths and weaknesses. Ally showed absolutely no ability to stop that with a plan b, but the 15 points deduction due to administration buffered the impact of Ally and his players inability to close in on the title.

How can you claim there is no merit in finishing strongly in his first year, admin, 10 points deduction, players injured, player sold while learning as a rookie Managers. when will this constant rehash ever end... There is some merit to the idea of replacing Durrant with a proven coach.

How can you claim there is no merit in finishing strongly in his first year, admin, 10 points deduction, players injured, player sold while learning as a rookie Managers. when will this constant rehash ever end...

Without the points deduction, he still spunked a healthy lead because his team were found out tactically.

I am not surprised that some fans are blind in their admiration for a club legend but he is not a manager.

Without the points deduction, he still spunked a healthy lead because his team were found out tactically.

I am not surprised that some fans are blind in their admiration for a club legend but he is not a manager.

Maybe its the blind leading the blind then cause some refuse to see any redeeming qualities.

Maybe its the blind leading the blind then cause some refuse to see any redeeming qualities.

I was of the school who wanted to give him time and have been quite vocal in that on here. However, in my opinion, he has had enough time to prove he has potential and I cannot see it.

.. And less than jig or Ally based on that same scale.

But they are on the same scale, hence his right to an opinion.

While he didn't play much for either, he was at 2 European Cup winners in Man Utd & Forest over 7 years in total, but I'm sure Wigan and Sunderland were just as good an education.....

What's noticeable in all your replies is a lack of substance.

Strong on rhetoric but short on substance.

I've yet to see you say why Stewart is wrong and explain in detail why he is wrong.

Your problem is you know little about football and it shows in your replies.

I am sure that the Ally haters would be delighted if we sack him and replace him with Stewart the coaching expert Oh god I bet there will be protesters in the name of Struth cooking up that the now. Evidence that the Ally haters are desperate, inconsistent was how the footballing pundits described Stewart

I am sure that the Ally haters would be delighted if we sack him and replace him with Stewart the coaching expert Oh god I bet there will be protesters in the name of Struth cooking up that the now. Evidence that the Ally haters are desperate, inconsistent was how the footballing pundits described Stewart

Get your facts right before commenting...Ally haters.

Where have any of us said we hate McCoist.

We are critical of his managerial abilities not him personally. Something many of his fans are unable to grasp.

And as for Stewart. His performances on the park have no bearing on his ability to comment on what he sees