Improving the atmosphere at Ibrox. All it takes is one fan.

tannerall

I remember when this was never an issue, one could simply stand and at the top of ones lungs shout "HELLO!!!" - guaranteed a few dozen at least shout it back, stadium bouncing in 2 seconds.

I think the problem is the fear of being lifted, gone are the days when you work all week, go to the fitba on a saturday and release some of your pent up tension from the week by singing, shouting and screaming at the opposition or the referee. I blame the nanny state we are becoming under the SNP gov. but thats another arguement. I am afraid we have pandered to the offended brigade. you are quite right mate it only takes one person to start, if you can hold a tune and get the words right there's def more chance of ppl joining in. I love the song 'paisley road west' and think it would be great sang loud and proud at Ibrox but I fear if I started it no one would know it cause I've never heard it at the ground. I used to have my season ticket in the West Enclosure and as someone above said it is a great feeling when you start a song off in your section and the whole stadium belts it out. I think we will get the atmosphere back up as we progress, its quite hard to get excited about scraping past an Abroath or a Brechin. the next game against the scum at Ibrox has the potential to blow the roof off.

I wonder if a lot of it has to do with people being made to feel like singing songs with "sectarian" words is wrong.

To be honest, and I realise I'm probably going to get pelters for it, I'm one of them. Years ago I would've sung "Billy Boys" or "We are Rangers" but now when I think about singing the word "fenian" I feel like it's kinda wrong.

I have no problem with anybody else singing it, and I want to join in, but I feel like I shouldn't be singing it.

Plus, I think once games are better contested and people start to get excited you'll notice things picking up.

The sentiment is spot on, but standing up on your own and starting to sing will only result in people looking at you as if you're bonkers or steaming or both (and the only people likely to join in are other people who are bonkers or steaming or both).

I reckon there needs to be a minimum of 3 people in your song troupe to get away with it and to stand a chance of catching on. Depends on what you're singing right enough, not sure anyone will join in if you're bellowing out 'Relight My Fire' in falsetto.

The first 5 mins of each home game is usually brilliant with everyone on their feet singing, then 90% are back sitting on their arses for the other 85 mins. No wonder I try to get tickets for me & my son next to the UB & TBO. We sat in the copland front at one game & the atmosphere was pish. What the hell has happened to our support. I remember when the Copland was the home end that actually sang. Now it's the "sit on your arse loyal".

I wonder if a lot of it has to do with people being made to feel like singing songs with "sectarian" words is wrong.

To be honest, and I realise I'm probably going to get pelters for it, I'm one of them. Years ago I would've sung "Billy Boys" or "We are Rangers" but now when I think about singing the word "fenian" I feel like it's kinda wrong.

I have no problem with anybody else singing it, and I want to join in, but I feel like I shouldn't be singing it.

Plus, I think once games are better contested and people start to get excited you'll notice things picking up.

Don't sing the "f" word. Just sing the words that used to be on the old tapes from way back, "we'll sing the sash & derrys walls, surrender or you'll die". Can't get into any bother singing that surely?

The first 5 mins of each home game is usually brilliant with everyone on their feet singing, then 90% are back sitting on their arses for the other 85 mins. No wonder I try to get tickets for me & my son next to the UB & TBO. We sat in the copland front at one game & the atmosphere was pish. What the hell has happened to our support. I remember when the Copland was the home end that actually sang. Now it's the "sit on your arse loyal".

it's probably the same scenario being played out in most football stadiums across the UK these days

expensive tickets, all seater stadiums etc etc

the match day experiance has changed

People seem to think they need to be in an Ultras group or be in a certain section for a good atmosphere, people think "if im not near BF1 the atmosphere will be shite" and go into the games expecting it to be shite, if people went in every week thinking "right this is going to be a good atmosphere" then there would be. Moving both of the singing groups together was a bad idea IMO, its better having a few groups spread out, without groups caring about whos the best and who gets along with who.

It used to be each and every one of us were going to the game to support the Rangers and have a sing song with fellow Bears, now theres so many wee cliques and groups that dont get along that is ruined the atmosphere completely.

Its been this way for years though, atmosphere has been shite in general at Ibrox for nearly a decade now.