Rangers line up Romania defender Gabriel Tamas for summer switch as they plan t

Bothwellbear

Rangers line up Romania defender Gabriel Tamas for summer switch as they plan their assault on Championship title

27 Jan 2014 09:16

LEAGUE One leaders eye up move for 30-year-old centre-half as Ally McCoist looks to the challenge that lies ahead next season.

CP44984160-3065696.jpg Gabriel Tamas ,left, battles with Victor Anichebe of Everton during his stint at West Brom

Getty Images

RANGERS are looking to sign Romania international defender Gabriel Tamas this summer to help their push for the Championship title.

The cash-strapped League One leaders will not be bringing anyone in during this month’s window but want the experienced centre-back for next season.

Former Galatasaray, Spartak Moscow and West Brom player Tamas has just signed a six-month deal with English Championship strugglers Doncaster.

But according to reports in Romania the 63-times capped defender has held talks with Rangers about moving to Ibrox.

Tamas has also played for Dinamo Bucharest, Celta Vigo, Auxerre and Cluj before moving to Rovers.

The defender has twice been banned for club and country for alcohol-related incidents and was hit with a three-match FA ban in 2011 while playing for WBA after elbowing James Vaughan in a game, resulting in the Norwich striker needing striker plastic surgery.

Tamas has featured twice for Doncaster and manager Paul Dickov said: “I have spoken to lots of people about him, including Steve Clarke and Roy Hodgson. The reports we have had back say if you can sign him, take him.

“He has not played for a while but he is super fit. He loves defending and is comfortable on the ball.”

I'd be more excited if he was 24-26, but if he's coming from 'struggling' Doncaster, what does that tell us. Doncaster had a good start to their league campaign and have dropped like a stone in recent months. Maybe it's a bit too much to blame just one player, but he is a player from a failing club.

I'd be more excited if he was 24-26, but if he's coming from 'struggling' Doncaster, what does that tell us. Doncaster had a good start to their league campaign and have dropped like a stone in recent months. Maybe it's a bit too much to blame just one player, but he is a player from a failing club.

He's just joined them tbf....

He's just signed for them :lol:

Paper talk id imagine but I'd hope the club are learning from previous mistakes and are planning longer term with transfer policy going forward!

According to DJW on here the Romanian press had him going to Doncaster before coming to us in the summer.

No problem with Tamas being 30, I think we are in need of an experienced defender or defensive midfielder/sweeper who grab a hold of our defence on the park and take the lead.

In order to achieve this the player will have to have first rate communication skills in addition to his footballing abilities.

If he's on sensible wages I think he would be a very good signing. Experienced with pedigree in the big leagues. Off field temperament may be an issue but on the pitch from what I've seen he is a solid CB with the ability to read the game well. Could be the making of Mohsni as well.