The Bad Early 80's

Figo

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started going in 83, first game was a friendly against West Brom. I was quite young but I remember players like Gregor Stevens along side likes of Bobby Russell and Robert Prytz. We used to go in and choose where we wanted to sit it was so empty. It all changed a few years later when Souness arrived and season tickets became a must have. The football may not have been the best then either but it was entertaining and exciting.

We went from 7,000 or so season ticket holders in 85 to well over 30,000 when Souness arrived.....

The night we blew the league at the piggery still haunts me.

Still wake up with nightmares re that game.remember being in tears sitting at the piggery,was one of the last people to leave,when an

Older bear put his arm around me and said." Don't worry son,we are the glasgow rangers never forget that.the greatest team in the

World"

better football but less fans?

Less but better fans!

A united support full of similarly minded people. No women, handwringers or glory hunters in those days.

At times the team struggled in the 80s but we had some talented individuals and other players who may have been limited in quality but who knew what it meant to play for the Jersey.

Not the best era in our history but still some great memories from that period:

81 cup final replay when we beat Dundee Utd 4-1

3-1 v a star studded Inter Milan

3-0 v the scum

1-1 draw away to the scum with 9 men

My first game was a 1-1 draw at Firhill around 1980 I think.

They were poor times, John Greig was no good and was loyal to older players for too long.

Competing against Ferguson's Aberdeen and MacLean's United made it a slog.

Crowds below 10,000 were not uncommon, 2,000 turned up after we lost the 4-2 game at Parkhead.

I would still have those days rather than recent events.

"A united support full of similarly minded people. No women, handwringers or glory hunters in those days"

No women eh? Are you saying a woman can't be "similarly minded"? Yer arse.

No that is not what I said. Of course women can be similarly minded.

I can't remember women attending matches in the 80s nor were there many, if any, handwringers and given the lack of success there certainly weren't any glory hunters.

They were poor times, John Greig was no good and was loyal to older players for too long.

Crowds below 10,000 were not uncommon, 2,000 turned up after we lost the 4-2 game at Parkhead.

Was never 2,000 mate, it was 6,000

I loved the early 80's personally.

I was going to games with my mates and was just starting high school and although we weren't winning the league we had a pretty good side...Jim Bett,Bobby Russell,Davie Cooper,Ally McCoist,Robert Prytz,Ian Redford,Ian Durrant,Derek Ferguson etc.We had pish too but every era has but we sang what we wanted and had a board and team that were supporters too,we were just unlucky we were up against very very good Sheep,Dundee Hibs,Hearts and Beggars sides who were doing it in Europe as well as here.

I hardly missed a game from 81-89.The crowds were low averaging 20,000 but sometimes as low as 6 or 7,000 league cup games.

My least favourite is now..The fitba is god awful in all divisions and the hatred against us from clubs to management to media to the SFA is just incredible.

i remember watching us losing to tottenham in a friendly on a sunday in april 1986 and then boom without any warning about teatime the following day jock wallace is sacked and graeme souness is announced as player manager,what a 24 hours that was.

Excellent memory, mate.

As I recall, the next match was at Kilbowie.

Just to let some of our younger fans know (and some who can't remember) we played against part time teams in the old first division in the 70s and 80s and got the occasional defeat,then as now they all raised their game when they played us. As we all know "its all about the Rangers" WATP

There were 2 games after that phiggery game, one at home against plastic whistle where there is a record of the crowd being 2000 and an away game at Easter road where the crowd is quoted as 4000. The 2000 I have always put down as a misprint !

There were 2 games after that phiggery game, one at home against plastic whistle where there is a record of the crowd being 2000 and an away game at Easter road where the crowd is quoted as 4000. The 2000 I have always put down as a misprint !

The official attendance for the game v Partick Thistle was 6,079.

That's how I remember it. I read the report in the Sunday Express the next day and it gave 2,000. I think Rangers also won 1-0. Could be wrong.

I would like to think so, any link to it ?

Just checked "Rangers the complete record" and they give it as 6,087.

I was always annoyed that people quoted the 2,000 figure. I was there that evening and knew there were more than 2,000 and was convinced it was my original figure but am happy to concede there were another 8 present.

That's how I remember it. I read the report in the Sunday Express the next day and it gave 2,000. I think Rangers also won 1-0. Could be wrong.

The game was on a wednesday evening,two days after the debacle at Celtic Park. The Hibernian game was on the following thursday, iirc we were also in the middle of a three game SCF against them. Attended the Celtic, Partick and Hibernian league games alongside the first two games in the final. Missed out on the final 3-2 game at Hampden.

Im sure the game against thistle was midweek proberbly a wednesday and the game against hibs was the third game in the scottish cup final at hampden 3- 1 to rangers ?

The final league game v Hibernian (1-2) took place 3 days after the 3-2 cup final victory.

Thats correct mate same as myself i went to them all , was glad to get the season over.

Aye, disappointed to only win a double. Still haven't felt as low leaving a ground as i was leaving Celtic park that evening.Even up against ten men we were far too negative.