Do We Tend To Overhype Our Players?

The Godfather

Hearing today Edu was sent away to MLS by Stoke and that is yet another starter for us who has failed to really shine after leaving the club.

There have been quite a few in the past few years who shone here like Boyd, Naimsith, Whittaker, Jelavic, Edu ect who have not really kept any sort of form going when they left us and most bar Aluko and McGreggor have had a fair amount of bench time. Also some others who looked promising like Ness but I don’t think I ever seen him turn out for Stoke.

Is this because they are genuinely not really as good as some of us thought or the level from SPL to EPL where most went to is too vast so shows in how they fail to flatter?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The level from SPL/Scottish football to the Premiership is vast, no question. Hence our best players will go down there and be little better than average. The same with Celtic's best players too - ie. Hooper and Wanyama have been pretty rank since going down there.

As a set of fans, and on here particularly, there's certainly an element of players being either brilliant or shite, with little room for a grey area

Mcgregors dokng pretty well at hull, Naismith is a good squad player at Everton, ditto Whittaker at Norwich but some of the others surprise me like Edu - jelavic looked great when he first started atveverton and I hope he regains his form after his transfer ( £12m I believe)

Mcgregors dokng pretty well at hull, Naismith is a good squad player at Everton, ditto Whittaker at Norwich but some of the others surprise me like Edu - jelavic looked great when he first started atveverton and I hope he regains his form after his transfer ( £12m I believe)

Half that as far as i'm aware. something like £6.5m + add-ons. They did well in even getting that to be honest

The level from SPL/Scottish football to the Premiership is vast, no question. Hence our best players will go down there and be little better than average. The same with Celtic's best players too - ie. Hooper and Wanyama have been pretty rank since going down there.

As a set of fans, and on here particularly, there's certainly an element of players being either brilliant or shite, with little room for a grey area

Agreed.

Many who looked stand out's here have looked nothing more than bit part squad fillers down south like Naismith, Whittaker, ect.

The best striker in the SPL last year also looks average as you say when he went down south while bar a good few months Jelavic too who stood out here became a joke figure up front at Everton towards the end.

Agreed.

Many who looked stand out's here have looked nothing more than bit part squad fillers down south like Naismith, Whittaker, ect.

The best striker in the SPL last year also looks average as you say when he went down south while bar a good few months Jelavic too who stood out here became a joke figure up front at Everton towards the end.

Its just the reality of it. You can finish bottom of the premiership and earn what a mid-table SPL team would take decades to earn. Can't compete with that

Its just the reality of it. You can finish bottom of the premiership and earn what a mid-table SPL team would take decades to earn. Can't compete with that

Getting relegated with no cup runs in the English premiership gets you more £ than winning the SPL (PL), Scottish cup, Leauge cup and even a run in the CL group stages with a Scottish club.

Grim.

Who would you say is getting overhyped? The only players I see regular praise for are Wallace and MacLeod really.

All the young players have been overhyped at some point, and while it may not be happening right now there has been over the top praise at times for the likes of Law, Shiels, Templeton, Black, Mohsni etc. In my opinion anyway.

We as fans probably overhype our players, we get favourites who we think are World beaters. The move from here to the EPL is a massive jump in quality, so players will struggle, especially in a team which is struggling.

The club have historically underhyped our players, and sold for far less than we could if we learnt lessons from celtic. They are very good at hyping their players, and have always got better transfer fees as a result.

All the young players have been overhyped at some point, and while it may not be happening right now there has been over the top praise at times for the likes of Law, Shiels, Templeton, Black, Mohsni etc. In my opinion anyway.

Maybe from a few but I don't think that's indicative of anything apart from some people get a wee bit carried away.