Do We Tend To Overhype Our Players?

The Godfather

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone actually rate Edu?

Loved him for his goal against them but generally thought he was pish.

I thought he got a hard time too often tbh.

He was a hard working ball winner who was never really a box to box dynamic midfielder. He broke up play and kept it simple.

I also though he had a cracking shot on him when he eventually did shoot at goal.

Wasn't brilliant by any means though.

Just look at Carlos Cuellor and Alan Hutton. They were strolling games in the SPL and struggled badly in stages in the EP.

Amorouso. Ferguson. There is a huge gulf.

Interestingly Arteta and Adam were 2 who were constantly shouted down by many Gers fans but both proved they could do a decent jod at a higher level.

Appreciate mentioning Charlie will get some stick but he did show it in the top league at times.

Half that as far as i'm aware. something like £6.5m + add-ons. They did well in even getting that to be honest

I think you are probably right- fk knows where I got that figure -should have checked! My point was he did ok - he also seemed to be in demand by EPL teams even now.

We as fans probably overhype our players, we get favourites who we think are World beaters. The move from here to the EPL is a massive jump in quality, so players will struggle, especially in a team which is struggling.

The club have historically underhyped our players, and sold for far less than we could if we learnt lessons from celtic. They are very good at hyping their players, and have always got better transfer fees as a result.

True BP.

It kills me to think they got the fees they did for guys like Ki, Wanyama, Hooper ect.

We always seem to sell at cut price deals although maybe the Jelavic one had something to do with Whyte’s influence at the time. It would have been interesting to see just how much we could have got for the players who left for nothing if things worked out differently….although I’d assume again it would be cut price deals too.

I think you are probably right- fk knows where I got that figure -should have checked! My point was he did ok - he also seemed to be in demand by EPL teams even now.

Aye he started brightly but just hit a dreadful patch. He's decent but probably a mid-table EPL striker, whereas he was a golden god up here ;)

Think Hull spent something like £12m combined on Jela and Long, perhaps where you got the figure from (tu)

Hearing today Edu was sent away to MLS by Stoke and that is yet another starter for us who has failed to really shine after leaving the club.

There have been quite a few in the past few years who shone here like Boyd, Naimsith, Whittaker, Jelavic, Edu ect who have not really kept any sort of form going when they left us and most bar Aluko and McGreggor have had a fair amount of bench time. Also some others who looked promising like Ness but I don't think I ever seen him turn out for Stoke.

Is this because they are genuinely not really as good as some of us thought or the level from SPL to EPL where most went to is too vast so shows in how they fail to flatter?

Edu was always a poor player sometimes in games he looked completely lost. We do overrate average players though.

Just look at Carlos Cuellor and Alan Hutton. They were strolling games in the SPL and struggled badly in stages in the EP.

Amorouso. Ferguson. There is a huge gulf.

Interestingly Arteta and Adam were 2 who were constantly shouted down by many Gers fans but both proved they could do a decent jod at a higher level.

Appreciate mentioning Charlie will get some stick but he did show it in the top league at times.

Arteta shouted down? I genuinely don't remember that, I thought he was a quality player. Maybe my memory, I'm not as young as I used to be... :blush:

Ha, then yea, thats a bit mental. Still think he could get a game at a few English premiership sides mind

Wouldn't rule out some of the lower mid table type teams but it's interesting we've not really had any bids for him to deal with unless something late is going to happen.

He's been fairly solid for them from what I've seen. He's not a guaranteed starter but is a good squad player.

He's started 23 games and been on the bench for 7 this season, I think that makes him a regular. Whether thats due to the absence of Wagamama or not remains to be seen.

The difference in quality between the EPL and the SPL is widening. St Johnstone are signing a Stevenage player on loan and at the start of the season Hibs were considering a bid for Rene Howe (a player I know well) who has just moved from Burton to Newport County. If thats the level of player they are scouting it doesn't say much for the product in Scotland.

Arteta shouted down? I genuinely don't remember that, I thought he was a quality player. Maybe my memory, I'm not as young as I used to be... :blush:

If I remember right he was home sick and wanted to go back to Spain, albeit he was back in the UK with Everton about 6 months later.

Aye he started brightly but just hit a dreadful patch. He's decent but probably a mid-table EPL striker, whereas he was a golden god up here ;)

Think Hull spent something like £12m combined on Jela and Long, perhaps where you got the figure from (tu)

It could be - ta

But yep Jelavic was like a god up here and the way he was scoring we were never going to hold onto him. Mid Table striker though is still a good level and hardly a dud.

A lot of our players do fade down there but not all, and not as many as some hope (and certainly the 'traitors') are not doing as bad as many wish them to be.

He was on loan at PSG from Barca when we played them in the UEFA Cup I think?

Yeah.

At 18-19 he was playing in a side including Anelka and Ronaldinho.

We had some sort of link on the go from Barca at the time when we got him.

Never materialised of course....

Don't get me wrong i'm pleased just a bit surprised considering there were noises about us maybe needing to sell him before the window even opened.

We shan't count our chickens just yet.

I'd guess that teams aren't 100% convinced he could make the step up from where we are now to their level, understandably. Think he'd be a great signing for a championship side mind you

He's started 23 games and been on the bench for 7 this season, I think that makes him a regular. Whether thats due to the absence of Wagamama or not remains to be seen.

The difference in quality between the EPL and the SPL is widening. St Johnstone are signing a Stevenage player on loan and at the start of the season Hibs were considering a bid for Rene Howe (a player I know well) who has just moved from Burton to Newport County. If thats the level of player they are scouting it doesn't say much for the product in Scotland.

Yeah, I suppose he has been this season but he wasn't really last season.

Hearing today Edu was sent away to MLS by Stoke and that is yet another starter for us who has failed to really shine after leaving the club.

There have been quite a few in the past few years who shone here like Boyd, Naimsith, Whittaker, Jelavic, Edu ect who have not really kept any sort of form going when they left us and most bar Aluko and McGreggor have had a fair amount of bench time. Also some others who looked promising like Ness but I don't think I ever seen him turn out for Stoke.

Is this because they are genuinely not really as good as some of us thought or the level from SPL to EPL where most went to is too vast so shows in how they fail to flatter?

Yes I agree Godfather, good thread subject as usual.

Some of my memories are being told Boyd was far better than Darren Bent just when Sunderland I think paid £18 million...the argument was we should accept no less. Remember getting told Boughera was twice the player as Koscielny and Wenger should go for him. McGregor was miles better than Szczesny and the one that we should let Jelavic go for any less than £15 million because he was so good......less than a year after moving from a superior league for $5 million and then banging in 20 goals in the SPL

We shan't count our chickens just yet.

I'd guess that teams aren't 100% convinced he could make the step up from where we are now to their level, understandably. Think he'd be a great signing for a championship side mind you

Yeah, Billy Davies wanting him at Forest seemed to be fairly strong talk but hasn't gone anywhere.

Would feel even worse in some ways losing him this late on.

We as fans probably overhype our players, we get favourites who we think are World beaters. The move from here to the EPL is a massive jump in quality, so players will struggle, especially in a team which is struggling.

The club have historically underhyped our players, and sold for far less than we could if we learnt lessons from celtic. They are very good at hyping their players, and have always got better transfer fees as a result.

We should have done this with the likes of Davis, Naismith etc to help the finances even if it meant sacrificing some success.