Stadium redevelopment to blame for barren period in early 80's

topgoalie

Remembering the poor atmosphere and crowds of the late 70's and early 80's ;was mainly due to the renovations at Ibrox at the time.Older bears will remember the diggers and huge open spaces while firstly the East terracing was replaced by the Copland Road Stand 1978, Broomloan 1979,then the Centenary Stand replaced by the Govan Stand in 1981.

The original cost of 6m had risen to 10m, and depleted the club financially.The average attendance of only 17,500 in 81/82 confirmed this.I had just started going in 1978,so for older Bears,how did you take to the change at Ibrox.It always seemed to be under construction in my fledgling years of supporting the club....

i only started going while the ground was being rebuilt so never been when it was the old terracing round most of the ground.

propably right that financially things then were tight and that showed on the pitch with us sitting midtable for a few years,hard games to watch and as you said there was never really crowds over 20k unless we played the scum.

The redevelopment costs were funded by the money from Rangers Pools. These costs had nothing to do with the awful football on display. The John Greig was simply a poor manager. A legend who sadly couldn't manage the team (sound familiar?).

Just think the eerie sound of the great stadium plus low crowds never helped.Greig was a poor manager but credit where it is due with wins over Juventus and P.S.V. looked good on his CV.

Correct was funded by the highly successful Rangers pools,the largest club based scheme in Britain,and well more than twice the intake from the club from the East.....

The redevelopment costs were funded by the money from Rangers Pools. These costs had nothing to do with the awful football on display. The John Greig was simply a poor manager. A legend who sadly couldn't manage the team (sound familiar?).

(tu)

We had a decent side who should have been competing more..

I remember playing Aberdeen and the atmosphere being electric and they pumped us 3-0....i also remember beating Celtic 2-1 at the midden and 3-0(should have been 5) at Ibrox in the 80/81 season.So we had it in us but the problem was Greig went from team mate to Gaffer in one swoop and i think that was has for older players like Jardine,Jackson,Johnstone and MacDonald to deal with.

Greigs team selections didn't help.Every away game in the premier league was treated like an away game to Juventus - Dortmund etc. Ultra negative tactics did my head in. Still blame him for the defensive display that cost us the league in May79.

Dropping Cooper, selling Gordon Smith behind his back, loyalty to players well past their prime...... the list iis endless.

Greigs team selections didn't help.Every away game in the premier league was treated like an away game to Juventus - Dortmund etc. Ultra negative tactics did my head in. Still blame him for the defensive display that cost us the league in May79.

Dropping Cooper, selling Gordon Smith behind his back, loyalty to players well past their prime...... the list iis endless.

Agree this was without doubt his downfall....

for older Bears,how did you take to the change at Ibrox.It always seemed to be under construction in my fledgling years of supporting the club....

We had no choice but to make the changes given the deadly events at Ibrox that inspired the stadium rebuild.

Whilst I don't regret that, I think we should strongly consider installing the safe terracing as German clubs do. Every Rangers supporter deserves the chance to experience the feeling of standing in a packed Ibrox and singing your heart out whilst watching fitba.

I loved it for the most part.

We had no choice but to make the changes given the deadly events at Ibrox that inspired the stadium rebuild.

Whilst I don't regret that, I think we should strongly consider installing the safe terracing as German clubs do. Every Rangers supporter deserves the chance to experience the feeling of standing in a packed Ibrox and singing your heart out whilst watching fitba.

Good image the posh pc brigade contemplating that they think it is just a game where you go and sit in silence and applaud everything from goals, opponents, rubbish players and deaths with no passion for feck all

Willie Waddell wanted a modern safe Ibrox but what if that money wad spent on players?

The Souness revolution could have happened years earlier.We could maybe signed him in his prime? This was the era of £1M pound players like Trevor Francis , Andy Gray, Kevin Keegan etc.Think even Maradonna was the worlds costliest player at £3M.

How many world class players could we have bought?

Loved it too back then but I was a teenager and full of youthful exuberance (and cider).... '72 versus Bayern was the best atmosphere I have EVER experienced and that includes being at both Barcelona and Manchester. Amazing to think back then that Glasgow had not one but two stadia with capacities of over 100K and another smaller stadium holding 83K.

Back to the point of the OP - construction impacted atmosphere but dire football kept the fans away.

Willie Waddell wanted a modern safe Ibrox but what if that money wad spent on players?

The Souness revolution could have happened years earlier.We could maybe signed him in his prime? This was the era of £1M pound players like Trevor Francis , Andy Gray, Kevin Keegan etc.Think even Maradonna was the worlds costliest player at £3M.

How many world class players could we have bought?

That money couldn't be spent on players. The Development Fund paid for the rebuilding of the stadium.

I heard from an older bear no longer with us, that before the building work took place, that Rangers asked for assistance from the SFA and although were not refused the use of Hampden during the renovations, the price quoted for the renting was extortionate , any older bears know if this was the case ?

Jcb .I Remember the infamous 4-2 game like it was yesterday .We scored after 6mins through A McDonald .After 20mins I will never forget the most blatant penalty we never got In an old firm match .Big Jackson header was flying into net and McGrain handled stopping It going in .Eddie Pringle wasn't interested .It was to change history as Greig had us playing cautious even after Doyle was sent off for them. Broke my fucking heart.

A few other factors why it was a bad time then was two outstanding managers at Aberdeen and Dundee Utd.

Ferguson and Jim McLean were outstanding coaches that only come around so often.

Also they were the Thatcher years were unemployment in Scotland was over 10% and cuts were happening everywhere.

But sad to say Greig was not a manager

I've heard this story before.Rangers decided to play at Ibrox as crowds were not large at the time.

Also got told first hand by SFA employee about 15 years ago when Hampden was redeveloped that Ibrox would never host a European final.

Hampden only choice from now on,as proven in 2002 CLF and 2007 UEFA Cup Final.

A five star rated stadia for 20 years it looks like Ibrox never will host a final.

Like the flag says SFA Corrupt to the Core.

Jcb .I Remember the infamous 4-2 game like it was yesterday .We scored after 6mins through A McDonald .After 20mins I will never forget the most blatant penalty we never got In an old firm match .Big Jackson header was flying into net and McGrain handled stopping It going in .Eddie Pringle wasn't interested .It was to change history as Greig had us playing cautious even after Doyle was sent off for them. Broke my fucking heart.

I remember it like yesterday as well. I think it might have been a Bank Holiday Monday night, I do know there was a right poisonous atmosphere in the city before it.

The game itself was weird, we looked to be in control then they came back, even at 3-2 down a goal would have been enough for us but that jump-the-dyke McLeod hit a screamer and that was it. We threw it away.

There were a lot of angry Bears after the game, and remember we took around 20,000 to that mhidden in those days. We got a train back from the old Bridgeton Central for Queen Street, by the time we got to High Street the train was completely wrecked and we all got thrown off, into the midst of thousands of celebrating tarriers coming along the Gallowgate and Duke Street. Battles all over the city that night.

Honestly dont remember the penalty incident but i agree that even 35 years later this game still hurts.

Never felt confident that evening even when Russell equalised with 15 minutes left. We showed them far too much respect in those days and felt gutted for my fellow bears every time we made the trip over there.