Our return to the top. What do we expect?

In 2 years time when we are back in the top division in Scotland, what does everyone honestly expect our position to be?

I have always thought that we would in the first year, comfortably finish in second position and the following year, be in a position to put up a decent challenge for the title.

Now, I must admit that I have my doubts things will be so rosy.

Firstly, im not very confident in the coaching aspect of the club, secondly, I really think our finances will limit what we can realistically spend.

Even if we were to change our coaching staff, the 30% wage structure does seems difficult, especially when we seem to have to pay about 5x what an equivalent top division club does, just to get the same level of player.

Listening to posters on here, we also have the crippling 'Rangers Effect' where for some unknow reason, we can sign good players who just crumble when they run out to play for us, where they would be stars for other clubs in the division. This also puts us at a huge disadvantage.

I really think that the goal for our first season back should realistically be to finsih in the top 4, which I must admit is quite dissapointing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we'll struggle next year to win promotion to the top flight.

I know that sounds a bit negative but I see nothing at all in the current set up and our tactics on the pitch that inspire me with the confidence to think otherwise.

I hope I'm wrong tho. I really do

As Rfc52 pointed out it will heavily depend on takeovers, investment ect.

We SHOULD be finishing second though, however I doubt we will touch Celtic for a good while if they continue to get CL football and we continue to neglect scouting ect.

Don't want to turn this into a financial topic but I think this will be important as to how we get on.

After the 120 day review , I'm hoping GW will be in a position to implement the cuts required for him to go to current investors to put more funds in. These cuts have to happen first so investors don't see their money plugging holes and just keeping the club going . They will want to see it used to see the club grow ie foundations to increase the club growing ie scouting , youth development , ways of increasing income , for example being able to use Edmiston House , and maybe even player investment. That's the only way there's a chance they will see a return on their investment.

I'm hoping that we see the implementation of this in place by the next AGM , I'm sure it's in the current boards interest too. I understand others being a bit pessimistic when I mentioned this before but it's doable . Once in place ( and there's a good chance of a share issue together with the DK factor too ? ? ? ) it could coincide with our return to the top division . While not exactly wealthy , I would like to think we'll be more financially stable allowing us to concentrate on football matters.

Football wise , I was realistic enough to not think we'll be challenging for the title straight away but I was expecting to be in a position to qualify for Europe. If I'm honest , I don't think we have made enough progress since the start of Div3 to think that's achievable at this moment in time. Hopefully , if the finances stabilise more in the next year ,and being able to concentrate on football matters , we could still get that European slot.

I'd expect to be in the top 3/4 in the 1st year back. Really depends on the next 18 months though.

We've no money and we're not going to challenge with a group of free transfers. If there's not an initial investment into the squad then we'll be struggling for years.

I have no doubts we will go straight up through the divisions.

However what happens when we get to the top does depend on the cash we have available.

Taking the best case first, we do attract some major investment from somewhere, we can put together a decent squad (hopefully) tho I have my doubts about Allys ability to spot a good player. Tactically he also seems to have a lot to learn. Next season he either sinks or swims.

Whoever is in charge when we get to the top will have a huge challenge.

We will not win it at the first or even the second time of asking, barring a miracle.

It will take us a few years to even approach where we were.

This is being realistic rather than negative. Doing this would still be a fantastic achievement.

We could be deluded and positive, throwing out jingoisms left right and centre but that will just lead to disappointment.

I think we'll struggle next year to win promotion to the top flight.

I know that sounds a bit negative but I see nothing at all in the current set up and our tactics on the pitch that inspire me with the confidence to think otherwise.

I hope I'm wrong tho. I really do

Lol

I think short term, we're in for a bit if a rough ride for the first half of the Championship next season - it'll be back down to earth with a massive bump.

But I believe (hope) that this time next year we'll be starting to put a string if wins together and well on the way to winning it. I think Templeton, Clark, Shiels, Law etc will all start getting back to their best.

As for after that, again as others have said it depends on investment but I'd expect a top 4 finish in the first season back, 2nd spot the next and properly challenging for the title in our 4th season back at the very latest.

I don't think that's too unreasonable.

When we went to the 3rd division the focus should have been on youth and the employment of good coaches to improve them so we didn't have to spend big when we got back.

We have too many players on too high a wage for the divisions we've been playing in.

I think we'll struggle next season to get up and if we do with no money to spend we could embarrassingly be in a relegation battle our first year in the Premiership.