Ibrox Pitch

Zappa6995

I know that Souness famously brought the width of the pitch in many years ago and it appears to have been shrinking ever since.

Do fellow Bears believe this to be a clever policy ?

Should we have a tight pitch giving the position nowhere to hide or should we make it bigger and give wingers a better opportunity going forward.

I find the arguments about us having a big pitch as opposed to our opponents a bit of a red herring as when you check the sizes there isn't much in it.

It may obviously have more to do with the undersoil heating and drainage.

Thoughts !

I know that Souness famously brought the width of the pitch in many years ago and it appears to have been shrinking ever since.

Do fellow Bears believe this to be a clever policy ?

Should we have a tight pitch giving the position nowhere to hide or should we make it bigger and give wingers a better opportunity going forward.

I find the arguments about us having a big pitch as opposed to our opponents a bit of a red herring as when you check the sizes there isn't much in it.

It may obviously have more to do with the undersoil heating and drainage.

Thoughts !

Souness ordered the pitch be narrowed and it stayed that way until it was narrowed again by 6-8 yards in the 90's due to the club deck being built,as fans in the club deck had restricted view of of the South touchline.

I would imagine the width will remain this way unless they widen it at the Govan side of the pitch.

Souness ordered the pitch be narrowed and it stayed that way until it was narrowed again by 6-8 yards in the 90's due to the club deck being built,as fans in the club deck had restricted view of of the South touchline.

I would imagine the width will remain this way unless they widen it at the Govan side of the pitch.

Good shout Ozblue.

Ive been in the back row of the Cub Deck and I didnt fancy the view

I agree that there's not much difference in it as regards size. The surroundings between Ibrox and other grounds makes the difference and our appear to be huge, but it still has to be within the regulated size and I doubt there much between say, Tynecastle and ours, except the stands are right on the pitch at Tynecastle.

There was a European tie a few years back where I'm sure we narrowed the pitch, over-watered it and had a band marching up and down it before kick-off cause the oposition were quite skilful. I think it was an East European team but cant remember which.

Anyone recall it ?

There was a European tie a few years back where I'm sure we narrowed the pitch, over-watered it and had a band marching up and down it before kick-off cause the oposition were quite skilful. I think it was an East European team but cant remember which.

Anyone recall it ?

Souness narrowed it for dynamo Kiev.

Some areas of the pitch look a bit rough right now (off topic I know)

I was thinking this today as well as I'm sit at the front of the Govan but everytime I looked at the big screens was thinking it was looking a bit worse for wear in some areas. I know we've had a lot of rain recently and played on it a few times as well. Don't really think there has been to much change to the width of the pitch though.

Good shout Ozblue.

Ive been in the back row of the Cub Deck and I didnt fancy the view

I was there almost at the back row twice not long after it got built and it pissed me off the first time because it was a Wednesday night game against the manky mob and Laudrup was running riot but when he hugged the touchline (especially near the corner flags) there was no view.

After a lot of complaints (apparently) they decided to narrow the pitch to its current width,whatever it now is.

How deep do you think underground heating is?

And how would a few rows of seating help?

We have great crowds but were not turning people away.

First season back in SPL there will be a demand for every game as they will all pretty much be grudge matches. Say STs go up to £500 per adult. I reckon 3 full rows round the three stands would be nearly 2,000 seats. At full price STs that's a million quid in tickets. If the pitch is getting relayed anyway I don't think it would cost a million pound to dig 3 or 4 feet down and put a few new rows in. The heating could be moved accordingly. We could pay for it in one season and it would be an extra potential million coming into the club every year. Would take us to about 53,000. Could even try and squeeze more rows to get us to 55,000 mark, as ibrox is very shallow (20degrees I think) and there is a far bit of space between stand and pitch.

Total fag packet maths from myself, and of course is not the priority ATM but there will be a huge demand for every game first season back and we should capitalise. With euro football surely to follow as well